Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos new macbook pro, Apple are saying it is used

Options
  • 25-11-2016 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Finally after a couple of years got to go into Argos this evening and get a Macbook Pro, everywhere else were sold out.

Brought it home, set it up and then just wanted to double check my Warranty.

Popped in the serial, and to my surprise my technical support has expired? So clicked on verify date of purchase popped in my date of purchase, page threw back an error.

Fair enough, contacted apple support to be told that the macbook's warranty expires this december (yes 5 days from now) and that the date of purchase on their end is not that of today, hence why the page refuses to accept it.

So the apple agent suspects two things, the macbook might be used and then resold or it was an open box sale where the macbook was purchased but then returned without the buyer opening it.

Im lost to be honest, the apple box was sealed perfectly just like all apple products i bought, and everything neatly placed with all factory packaging. However I did notice the battery was completely drained.

Could argos have resealed it? What is my next step of action, I honestly don't know what to do, I need the years warranty for the price I paid for the laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Argos have a no quibble returns policy, I'd be back to the shop with it.

Argos Returns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Print out the warranty information from apple and bring it with you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I'd say it was returned and resold. Bought a vacuum cleaner from them once and when I opened it the bagless filter was already full of dirt and hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I'll probably never buy from them again after this.

Surely it's illegal to do so without informing the customer when buying it that its not brand new.

I'd wonder why it was returned if the case, as the girl made clear to me tonight the only way they accept it as a return is if it's faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Don't jump to conclusions just yet

Apple will estimate the warranty date based on the date it left the factory.

In theory it could have been sitting in stock between Argos, apple distributors for the guts of a year.

If it was sealed and sold as new send apple customer service a copy of the receipt and they will reset the warranty.

What is the actual part code .. on the side of the box will be a part code beginning with M and finishing with Z/A ... this will tell you if the unit is a current model

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    Don't jump to conclusions just yet

Apple will estimate the warranty date based on the date it left the factory.

In theory it could have been sitting in stock between Argos, apple distributors for the guts of a year.

If it was sealed and sold as new send apple customer service a copy of the receipt and they will reset the warranty.

What is the actual part code .. on the side of the box will be a part code beginning with M and finishing with Z/A ... this will tell you if the unit is a current model

The part number is MF839B/A. Its the 8GB i5 13" Retina. It's the model just before the newest model with the touchbar (I'm not a fan of the touchbar).

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MF839B/A&step=config#

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

That one could have been in the channel for a year or so ... get on to apple support and send them a copy of the receipt from Argos and they will reset the warranty.

Argos have done nothing wrong this is just Apple estimating the warranty.

Not the case actually.

Apple activate warranties when you setup the Mac and create an iCloud account.

You'll need to ring apple support and explain what's going on and ask for advice.

They can tell you exactly if and when the warranty was activated.

Apple sell older lines themselves all the time without any issues for warranties. So I would be concerned that this is a used machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Not sure if Apple operate differently but most manufacturers estimate a warranty date based on when the product should likely be sold.

The onus is then on the customer or reseller to dispute the date with a proof of purchase if warranty is required.

It's pretty common practice as most people do not register their product initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Vic_08

sugarman wrote: »
    Theres no way its been used, Laptops are except from Argos 30 day refund policy. If theyre faulty theyre sent back to the manufacturer for repair.

That's not true, I have had more than one used, returned and re-sold as new item from Argos including an e-reader that had been well used, registered and stank of cigarette smoke.

People abuse the returns policy and Argos don't police it properly, they just re-sell items as new.

• Advertisement

Not sure if Apple operate differently but most manufacturers estimate a warranty date based on when the product should likely be sold.

The onus is then on the customer or reseller to dispute the date with a proof of purchase if warranty is required.

It's pretty common practice as most people do not register their product initially.

Apple activate warranties electronically usually when the machine sets up.

The OP needs to get more information from Apple about whether the machine's warranty was activated and when.

Ring them and explain what's going on. They'll likely be very helpful. They've one of the better customer support services out there.

If the machine has been activated before and the serial number is associated with an Apple ID you've a lot of issues potentially with dealing with apple in future as the machine may be seen as registered to someone else.

You'll need to clear this up quickly and if it's been activated, Argos need to give you a new machine. A second hand one is unacceptable.

Did macOS take you though a new Mac setup sequence at the start btw? Or, did you just get presented with a desktop?

If it's just a warranty issue, apple will sort that with proof of purchase but, if you've a second hand machine you need to know asap.

Ring apple today!

1800 92 38 98

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

sugarman wrote: »
    Theres no way its been used, Laptops are except from Argos 30 day refund policy. If theyre faulty theyre sent back to the manufacturer for repair.

Id suspect its just been sitting on their shelves for well over a year.

Wrong.

I returned a faulty laptop back there 3 days after purchase and it was replaced on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I wouldn't care (too much) what Apple think the warranty is.

You bought it from Argos and have a receipt. If it goes bang in one or two or three years you'll be taking it back to Argos. Sale of Goods Act is better than warranty.

They actually have a nice chart here http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/
    showing what the difference between warranty and law.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Wrong.

I returned a faulty laptop back there 3 days after purchase and it was replaced on the spot.

The 30 day refund policy is if you just change your mind. If it's faulty it's obviously not under that policy.
    I presume that'd be Sale Of Goods act (i.e. Repair / Replace / Refund). Most retailers wouldn't think that they could get away with saying they'll send it back for a repair 3 days after you bought it. Some do though :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Apple activate warranties electronically usually when the machine sets up.

The OP needs to get more information from Apple about whether the machine's warranty was activated and when.

This is usually the case when shipped directly to the customer, but quite often they do use the ship date, rather than the delivery date. Normally quickly sorted out when they check the deliervy date.
    A big problem used to be shops registering the Mac as a demo, then selling it on to customers as new. Customer had a warranty claim and found they had no warranty left. PC World in particular were notorious for this.

Hi all,

Just to update you all.

Was on to Apple, simple misunderstanding, Argos forgot to put the purchase date on their systems therefore in Apple's systems there was no purchase date.

The Apple rep said that once I had logged into the Macbook then it would have set the date 24 hours late hence why it still wouldn't work.

She also assured me no other apple ID was associated with the serial number on their end and the laptop was in fact brand new. She said that the warranty was showing up on their systems as December 2016 because that was estimated, this only happens to Macbooks sold through resellers but she confirmed Argos are an authorized Apple reseller.

So, bit of peace of mind, sent her the receipt and now I have my year's warranty and my technical support ��

Thanks again for all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Excellent choice by the way.

Advertisement