Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Great Georges Street

Options
  • 25-11-2016 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone lived or actually lives in North Great Georges Street or nearby.
    I'm thinking to move there, but I heard bad reviews about it from dubliners.
    Is the area safe?

Thank you for the help.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I lived there in the late nineties and it was fine tbh
    Was there a couple of years.

Used regularly walk up to Dorset Street to get chips at 1 and 2 am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from Accommodation and Property. Dublin city forum charter applies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

It's fine, a lot of junkies wait around the bottom or top of the street during the day to meet their crack dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

The thing about Dublin is you could be in a €1.1m 300 sq meter penthouse with a swimming pool on the roof living next store to a dodgy social housing development. Nearly every decent part of Dublin is surrounded by dodgy areas or you have to go through them to get to town.

I wouldn't call NGG St an amazing area. But neither is a lot of the inner city. I would still live there no issue. You could be living in the roughest parts of Dublin and never have anything bad happen to you. But you could easily get robbed in a 'safe place' like Ballsbridge

Just lock your door (the chubb) and dont use your phone on the street and you will be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

i lived in an apartment there for a year about 4 years ago.
    it was grand if you're able for it, but if you don't like having to walk through gangs of teenagers or junkies, then it's ok. that is around constantly. it's a lot of foreigners too living on the street and area, but it's the teenage gangs that bother.

i had a football lashed at my face full force by them once, nothing could be done cos there was about 10 of them.

be ready to buy drink for them too, because if you dont they'll have a proper go at you.

huge dole queues every wednesday and thursday morning at the bottom of the road. it's NOT safe at night time. it becomes empty and only the weirdos outside the rock bar are around, and a few knacks here and there. i wouldnt buy something there. renting yeah fine, but DO NOT BUY there.
    you WILL regret it.

in short - yes, it's rough and you'll definitely be started on at some point while living there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wouldnt renting/buying a house on Nth Georges St cost an extra premium due to them being Georgian? Peersonally I wouldnt live there, its just too rough around the edges for my liking. I reckon you should be able to find safer places to live for much the same price as what it would cost to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

i lived in an apartment there for a year about 4 years ago.

be ready to buy drink for them too, because if you dont they'll have a proper go at you.

in short - yes, it's rough and you'll definitely be started on at some point while living there.

I'd buy them sweet fcuk all.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

Lived there for a couple of years in the mid-1990s (prob not that relevant to you now!). I loved it, it's a little oasis in the middle of a eh non-oasis!

Advertisement