Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build -Wired

Options
  • 26-11-2016 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

About to move into new build house in the next 2 weeks. Wired for alarm.

Phone-watch offering a Black Friday special this week of half price. Are they worth going with?

Should I get a wireless package even though it is wired, or can I even do that?

Any help appreciated, a bit confused with all the different sites and offers, would defer to somebody with experience of a system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

yesap wrote: »
    Phone-watch offering a Black Friday special this week of half price. Are they worth going with?
    Not worth it even if free, due to cost of monitoring and quality of system.
    Why would you go wireless if your place is wired? Wired will be cheaper and not have issues with batteries etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yesap

Thanks a million. To be honest I could do without central monitoring if I got notified myself by app etc. Just assumed wireless was better as intruders can't snip wires but clearly not the case.

If you were in my position now who would you be calling for a quote (so many options pop up on google).

Essentially what I need is:
    Wired alarm installation
    Ability to be notified by app
    Would like the camera
    Centrally monitored not a pre-req

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mark085

About to move into new build house in the next 2 weeks. Wired for alarm.

Any help appreciated, a bit confused with all the different sites and offers, would defer to somebody with experience of a system.
    Definitely go wired because the alarm is triggered if any cable is snipped and you have a constant supply of power, hkc are the best brand or their as far as I know their Irish aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Hi OP, first off have a look on the threads here about Phone Watch and see what people other than us installers think of them.
    If you decide to go with them then you will be paying for the installation of a system that you will never own, even if it is half price, would you pay someone other than a medical consultant a few hundred euro for an hours work?
    Then for the privilege, pay over €400 a year so only they and they alone can monitor a system belonging to them in your home.

When you say the house is wired, is it the windows and doors or are the cables in the corners of the rooms throughout the house?
    Let us know that please.

Now wireless devices need power, therefore they need batteries and batteries need replacing in them every few years.

Cheers Kub, dodged a bullet with the phone watch alright, really are locked in by the look of it. So from reading HKC or Siemens is way to go

Definitely is a wire dangling in the corner of kitchen for a motion sensor or similar. Does this change anything?

• Advertisement

Well it would have been better wired if the perimeter windows and doors were done.
    With that you could have had those fitted with shock sensors and contacts and had a situation whereby you could have switched on the alarm at night and have being able to move around your house. Also that system would have detected intruders even before they managed to get into your home, unlike that crowd you mentioned earlier.

So it seems you are wired for Passive Infrared Beams. These are basically motion detectors in each room and as the name suggests, will detect any motion in the room once the temperature of whatever is moving is a little greater than the ambient temperature.

I agree with your choice of panels as in Siemens / Vanderbilt ( their new name ) or indeed HKC.

The next thing so is you need to get yourself at least 3 quotations from PSA Licensed Installers. You could go onto the PSA Web site at psa.gov.ie, there is a full list there is all licensed contractors. Also make sure you get all your quotes in writing and that they are prepared as per EN50131, as in you should be getting a Risk Assessment and a System Design Proposal.

That's great info, I think the doors and windows wired too but will check that next week.

Company called Gard.ie seem ok from reviews on net but will get another quote also as you suggested.

Best of luck with it, if you need any further advise you know where to find us.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For a wired property Siemens/Vanderbilt would be my first recommendation.
    Especially if you are looking for self monitoring /apps etc. No point in dodging getting tied to PW and then getting tied to payments to HKC just to use an app.
    Most other manufacturers provide this service for free also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

Can you post a link to a website or supplier that supplies Siemens alarms

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Take a look at the suppliers listed in the sticky.
    Rew
    RWL
    Northwood all do Siemens

I didn't know HKC were up to the same trick as PW. Is the subscription hefty?

Also, do any installers genuinely quote for both HKC and Siemens or will they be tied or have preference to one or the other. Just seeing other post, I would like a touchscreen panel rather than button, assume both manufacturers offer this?

Not the same in the sense you are not tied to a contract. The annual subscription for HKC starts at €60 per year and there's packages upwards from that.
    The thing is you are going to be tied with that for the life of the system and the costs are only going to go one way.
    There are a lot of installers out there that simply only know HKC and will actually turn down a job rather than install what the customer wants. Most good installers would be able to quote you for multiple systems.
    HKC do not have a touch screen keypad AFAIK.

Great info here, thanks everybody. HKC and Siemens are my two options now and seem to be very close on price and quality.

The digital display is enough for me to go with Siemens now if HKC do not have it. If anybody knows of an installer they would recommend please PM and let me know. I am Greystones area.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MaggyB

Also in the same position as the OP just purchased a new build that has the same wiring.

Would be grateful if anyone could PM me reccomendations for an installer of either of these systems, I will be based in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Have either of you had this system installed yet? Could you please PM me suggested installers? We are moving into a new build after New Year and looking to have Siemens alarm installed. Struggling to find an installer via google! Thanks

Advertisement