Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting modern diesel cars

• 26-11-2016 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭

I had a diesel car one time and before starting it you would turn the key, leave it for a few seconds and then turn the key further to start the engine. I think the glow plugs needed to heat up.

I have had petrol cars in recent years and this wasn't necessary.

What about modern diesel cars from 07/08 on?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Some do some don't. Some heat the glow plugs as soon as you unlock the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Some do some don't. Some heat the glow plugs as soon as you unlock the car.

Would there be an indication light that goes off after a few seconds in all types of diesel cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

No modern diesel needs glowplugs to start, high compression and direct injection have eliminated the need. They are used purely for emissions reasons (some engines dont even have them fitted anymore)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

OP is talking cars from 07/08 though. Certainly our 1.6 CRDI Hyundai needs plugs to atart quickly. Same with 1.5 TDCi 161 Ford vans we have at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

And dont forget about cold starts in freezing conditions.
    Everything is a help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I noticed these last few very cold mornings that a little yellow coil appeared on my Ford Focus dash when I turned the key.

I had never seen it before in 2 years of ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

NIMAN wrote: »
    I noticed these last few very cold mornings that a little yellow coil appeared on my Ford Focus dash when I turned the key.

I had never seen it before in 2 years of ownership.

And if it's like the old days (last time I had a diesel) you wait until that light goes out, only a few seconds usually, and then start the car. This is letting the heater plugs do their job.

Advertisement