Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing account holder - Death

Options
  • 26-11-2016 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    My father in law passed away this week, and the electric and gas bill are in his name. Myself and my wife, both live in the same house as my FIL, her all her life with him. She has always been paying the bill.

What is the process to get the name changed from my FIL to my wife?

Thanks,
    Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi Alan,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We're very sorry to read of your loss. Please accept our sincerest condolences during this difficult time.

In order to register your wife as the account holder for the property, your father-in-law's account would have to be closed. In Electric Ireland we would be unable to change the name on the current account, except in the instance of a spouse taking over an account for a deceased partner.

Your wife can register a new account with Electric Ireland online, over the phone with a member of the Electric Ireland Customer Service team (available to call on 1850 372 372, from 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday), or via private message through her own social media account here on Boards.ie (or Facebook or Twitter).

She would require an up-to-date meter reading from the property, the MPRN (meter point reference number) which should be located on any old bill for the premises, and any details regarding any previous Electric Ireland account that may be in her name, if applicable.

If your wife would like to avail of saving with Electric Ireland, she can register the property online here, or over the phone with a member of the Electric Ireland Sales team (available to call on 1850 305 090, 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 5:30pm on Saturdays).

We hope this helps. Should you have any questions please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

Advertisement