Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthing to a kitchen sink

Options
  • 26-11-2016 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I've been getting the odd shock from my kitchen sink the last day or 2. The only electrics in the vicinity are for my washing machine. There's a socket under the sink with the washing machine plugged in. There's an earth connection clamped onto the metal underneath of the sink, so I guess there's a short going on thats routing through this cable.
    I'm wondering why there's an earth connected to the sink? Why can't the earthing just be done via the earth cable that comes along with the live & neutral and goes back to the main fuse board (I assume)?
    I'm guessing there's a fault on the washing machine thats causing the shock in the first place (what else could it be??) - but I've disconnect the earth to the sink to stop being shocked. I can't see why this is needed. Am I wrong?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

kelbal wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I've been getting the odd shock from my kitchen sink the last day or 2. The only electrics in the vicinity are for my washing machine. There's a socket under the sink with the washing machine plugged in. There's an earth connection clamped onto the metal underneath of the sink, so I guess there's a short going on thats routing through this cable.
    I'm wondering why there's an earth connected to the sink? Why can't the earthing just be done via the earth cable that comes along with the live & neutral and goes back to the main fuse board (I assume)?
    I'm guessing there's a fault on the washing machine thats causing the shock in the first place (what else could it be??) - but I've disconnect the earth to the sink to stop being shocked. I can't see why this is needed. Am I wrong?

thanks

Yes you are wrong.

Get someone competent in to find out what the issue is, by disconnecting the sink from the earth circuit you are just temporarily masking the real issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Ya. Get an electrician in to check it out.

See if any other metal appliances are presenting the same problems.

I've seen problems like this before where problems with esb transformers etc caused issues like this.

The kitchen sink is usually first place it'll be noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

As above. Also to be accurate the sink is not earthed - it is bonded which serves a completely different purpose.

Advertisement