Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAMHS referring our family to social worker, please help

• 26-11-2016 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi everyone,
    Really really hoping someone can please give me some advice.
    We are currently, after waiting a long time, undergoing an assessment with CAMHS for my son who has already been privately assessed with ADD and Oppositional Defiant Disorder. We went through the route of our gp referring us and were hoping medication might not be needed but instead a more talking/therapy ideal.
    Anyhow, a couple of wks ago we saw three members of CAMHS with our son and this week again the three members with myself and husband. After we spoke open and honestly to them and answered all questions we were then told, among other points, our family seemed to have a high level of stress and to help us we were being referred to social workers.
    To say shocked to the core was an understatement.
    We do have five children but is stress not part and parcel of family life especially with economics the way they are the last while?
    I have thought of little else over the past week and have heard nothing from any agency to make things worse, as I'm imagining all sorts.
    I can't stop thinking and end up crying over it all. They have most definitely not helped any stress levels in our home I can assure them of that. I find I am now second guessing everything that was normal to me as a mother for 18yrs. My children do v well in school are always turned out well never in any trouble, constantly eating, have a cosy home. So why in the world are they doing this to us....
    Can someone please help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭batmanrobin

OP, I work with a lot of social workers and I see what good they can do. They're aim isn't to take your children off you and certainly, being referred to them isn't an indication that you are bad parents, it's about providing a bit of extra support.

The assessors at CAMHS are looking at your family situation more objectively than you will be. They may see areas that you might struggle with hence the referral.

Again, I would stress that you being referred to a social worker does not mean you are bad parents or can't cope or anything like that. Like I said, it's just about having a bit of extra support. Please try not to worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I agree with Batmanrobin. Social workers are going to try help you handle your situation better. It doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. Stress is very much a normal part of life but how well it is managed is important. Having a child with ADD and ODD can not be easy and is most definitely going to (and has already) impacted the family unit. Having more support and learning techniques to manage the stress can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ProudMum79

Thanks for your reply and I understand social workers can do an incredible job where needed I just feel as though we've managed ok for so long that we don't need help, only for our son, to ensure everything is ok for him as he grows. I just wanted to make sure I had done everything that I could for him, and wouldn't have regrets when he was older.
    Instead it seems CAMHS provide medication only (when needed) and no type of therapy.
    It seems as though all of this has been in vain and instead a stranger will be criticising our family. Thats just how I feel unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Being referred to social workers isn't a bad thing, it isn't a judgement against you as parents and it doesn't mean your children are going to be taken away from you.

Take a step back and look at it as an extra support being offered to your family. A social worker will be able to make sure that all the supports you need are available or at least offered as an option for you.

I ve worked with families where social workers have been able to work minor miracles in terms of arranging supports, finding new ways to deal with things and generally making things better.

As an example one family had a child with behavioural issues and the pre school was struggling to cope, the family social worker was able to arrange for some of the preschool staff to get special training to deal with the child and things improved immensely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I work with and have had family contact with Social Workers and have found them to be an invaluable resource.
    As said by many, their job is to support the family, the home, the children and you both, as parents.
    Maintaining a home is tough work and when you have a child with challenges it is doubly so.
    We all cope, and cope the best we can with these sorts of life events but they remain something that applies stress to the family and home, and that's where the Social Worker and CAMHS comes in.
    I think you have nothing to fear and everything to gain from them coming to you and yours, so do your best to see it as a positive thing.

• Advertisement

Yes i agree, loveinapril, learning new strategies to cope, I would embrace these ideas. They were exactly what I had hoped would be the tools offered to my son, and family, if needed. The problem is I was under the impression CAMHS was in fact a type of umbrella that supported all of these ideas, as it says on most websites about them. But they don't, only the medication side of things. This is why I feel myself that it has been in vain and lets be honest any parent who cares deeply about their children would most probably not like the idea of a social worker being involved with their family. Their is a definite stigma surrounding the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

There is definitely a stigma, but look at your response to being referred, it's reinforcing the same stigma.

ProudMum79 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply and I understand social workers can do an incredible job where needed I just feel as though we've managed ok for so long that we don't need help, only for our son, to ensure everything is ok for him as he grows. I just wanted to make sure I had done everything that I could for him, and wouldn't have regrets when he was older.
    Instead it seems CAMHS provide medication only (when needed) and no type of therapy.
    It seems as though all of this has been in vain and instead a stranger will be criticising our family. Thats just how I feel unfortunately.

Everyone you have dealt with was a qualified professional. Maybe your son needs medication right now and maybe something else in the future. You went to CAMHS as they are experts, trust that what they are doing is correct right now. I know an adolescent attending CAMHS and is seeing a therapist in addition to the medication. Did you ask if this was an option or would it be appropriate for your kid? You were open and honest in speaking to them about your issues and they identified a need. Just go with it. It is actually quite a positive thing that they aren't treating your child in isolation. Noone will criticise your parenting. You are clearly a great mam trying to get a diagnosis for so long. They will objectively look at the home environment and offer suggestions to alleviate some stress. I would certainly think your home life could improve with the family unit being looked at as a whole. Noone will tell you when social workers helped their family... that's where the stigma comes from.

Maybe so Owryan but that doesn't take away from the fact most parents would worry and surely this isn't the norm for those with adhd attributes, only I 've known families to be worse off than us in this regard and I'm sure there was no such referral made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I wouldn't worry too much, in this capacity social services will be brought in as a 'help to cope' . I've been through CAMHS with my eldest now for 4 years . She suffers with anxiety and depression. They are literally a life saver.
    Use every part of their services, counselling for you and your husband and the other children if needs be.

You can find, without knowing it, that stress becomes such a natural part of your daily life you no longer see it as stress. From the outside looking in, people will often wonder how you cope.
    Don't view this as 'oh my God, it's social services, my family is at risk'. Instead, find out from them what they can do to make you and your sons life easier.
    It's a difficult road to travel, but your counsellor in CAMHS is there for you too. Pick up the phone and so her specifically what capacity they are coming to help your family.
    Good luck with your journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

It is the norm for children with additional needs to have a Social Worker so you can stop panicking. My own daughter has a social worker assigned & they have been nothing but helpful in making sure the child is getting access to all the help available. They are also there for letters of support should you need them to access any services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Camhs have their own social workers who are employed to help children and their families who use the services. In addition, they usually are the ones who run support groups etc. They are NOT Tulsa child protection social workers. They are employed by the hse.

cbyrd wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much, in this capacity social services will be brought in as a 'help to cope' . I've been through CAMHS with my eldest now for 4 years . She suffers with anxiety and depression. They are literally a life saver.
    Use every part of their services, counselling for you and your husband and the other children if needs be.

You can find, without knowing it, that stress becomes such a natural part of your daily life you no longer see it as stress. From the outside looking in, people will often wonder how you cope.
    Don't view this as 'oh my God, it's social services, my family is at risk'. Instead, find out from them what they can do to make you and your sons life easier.
    It's a difficult road to travel, but your counsellor in CAMHS is there for you too. Pick up the phone and so her specifically what capacity they are coming to help your family.
    Good luck with your journey.

Thanks so much your reply has put it into context more clearly. I wish now they would just call to us and see we're not that bad as parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

My take on the referral is that the S.W. will provide assistance in accessing a range of services for you and your family, I wouldn't worry that they are going to criticise you in any way. It's useful to have someone who can smooth the way for you in contacting appropriate services and cutting through "red tape" and waiting lists. Remember you are doing this for your son and you are absolutely doing the right thing by reaching out for help and support.

Try and accept the help without being defensive. I know what you mean about the stigma, but that's because most people don't fully understand the role of social workers, it's so much more than taking children away. I think, in general, they do a fantastic job in supporting families under pressure.

lindtee wrote: »
    Camhs have their own social workers who are employed to help children and their families who use the services. In addition, they usually are the ones who run support groups etc. They are NOT Tulsa child protection social workers. They are employed by the hse.

It was made clear to us that it wasn't their social worker that we were being referred to but the other side of it, which confused me and was the actual part that worried me.

Your not bad parents, bad parents wouldn't seek help.
    We all have to admit sometimes we don't have the answers, that we are fumbling in the dark and sometimes by trying to do right we make mistakes.
    I went to hell and back with my girl. From self harming to suicide attempt. I was saved from thinking its all my fault by CAMHS.
    They give you a different perspective, a fresher view of things, a different way to interpret an action or words said, that can hurt, but looked at in a different light make you say 'okay, that's what was said, but not what I heard!'
    You don't always have to be strong, it's okay to say help me. It's okay to be helped. It's not criticism, it's to help your family live an easier more productive life.

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

we don't need help, only for our son, to ensure everything is ok for him as he grows. I just wanted to make sure I had done everything that I could for him,

I suppose you can't help feeling negative, but reread the quoted bit above. This IS help, for your son. The social worker is there to help you, not criticise you. They will be there to advise and guide you. If you go into defensive you will take everything as criticism rather than advice. You are doing all you can but need help. That's what you went looking for and you've been referred to where they think you will get the best help. You can choose to see it as negative and interference, or you can choose to work with it to help your son.

Also, it's all well and good wanting to avoid medication, and it has been ok up to this. But if it eventually comes to it that your son needs it, then he needs it. If he had another condition, asthma, diabetes etc that needed medication would you be against giving him what he needed?

This person will come into your family to help you. Let them know what you need help with and work with them to get all and any support you can for your son.

cbyrd wrote: »
    Your not bad parents, bad parents wouldn't seek help.
    We all have to admit sometimes we don't have the answers, that we are fumbling in the dark and sometimes by trying to do right we make mistakes.
    I went to hell and back with my girl. From self harming to suicide attempt. I was saved from thinking its all my fault by CAMHS.
    They give you a different perspective, a fresher view of things, a different way to interpret an action or words said, that can hurt, but looked at in a different light make you say 'okay, that's what was said, but not what I heard!'
    You don't always have to be strong, it's okay to say help me. It's okay to be helped. It's not criticism, it's to help your family live an easier more productive life.

Everything your saying makes sense but I'm so afraid to let anyone in incase they find holes in our everyday lives, obviously we're not perfect but God I try my absolute best for my children. I think its because they've taken the control of it away from us is what worries me most. We waited and managed it all for a long time and now it feels like a runaway train speeding up and I was most definitely not expecting it.

I suppose you can't help feeling negative, but reread the quoted bit above. This IS help, for your son. The social worker is there to help you, not criticise you. They will be there to advise and guide you. If you go into defensive you will take everything as criticism rather than advice. You are doing all you can but need help. That's what you went looking for and you've been referred to where they think you will get the best help. You can choose to see it as negative and interference, or you can choose to work with it to help your son.

Also, it's all well and good wanting to avoid medication, and it has been ok up to this. But if it eventually comes to it that your son needs it, then he needs it. If he had another condition, asthma, diabetes etc that needed medication would you be against giving him what he needed?

This person will come into your family to help you. Let them know what you need help with and work with them to get all and any support you can for your son.

I'll do whatever I can to help my son but just thought trying alternative methods first might be easier for him in the long run. I've told CAMHS, our gp, schools and family that I have no problem using medication if it was found he really needed it and I would never judge other parents using medication but I wouldve liked to try other therapies etc first if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

From what youve said it sounds highly unlikely to referral is to child protection social workers (even if its searate from camhs)its more likely family support social work such as meitheal. You really dont have anything to worry about the social workers can give you tools to respond to your son and theyll be an extra person to advocate for access to services.

• Advertisement

Rachiee wrote: »
    From what youve said it sounds highly unlikely to referral is to child protection social workers (even if its searate from camhs)its more likely family support social work such as meitheal. You really dont have anything to worry about the social workers can give you tools to respond to your son and theyll be an extra person to advocate for access to services.

Thanks for that, when I asked CAMHs in the meeting what agencies/supports a social worker could provide to us they didn't seem to know, which was also a reason I was dubious of our referral if I'm honest - I thought surely they might know what they were referring us to. But they did mention meitheal I had forgotten the name of it until I read your post. By any chance do you know what type of support this might offer my son or family as a whole? Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Meitheal is great and its totally parent led and voluntary basically like case management so that rather than you running around to loads of different places looking for help and support they bring all the agencies together to make a plan together that you will be 100 per cent involved in. so it could be anything really they'll see what supports are available be they educational, emotonal , social and host a meeting with everyone so everyones on the same page about what needs to happen and when and whos job it is which should lift a huge amount of stress off the family and move things on at a faster pace.i know a women who works with them and shes so nice and i know the are not allowed to take on cases where the case is active within child protection so if its meitheal there definitely isnt an active child protection concern, so youve nothing to lose and everything to gain. Also wanted to say well done for getting the help your son needed you sound like a great mam.

Rachiee wrote: »
    Meitheal is great and its totally parent led and voluntary basically like case management so that rather than you running around to loads of different places looking for help and support they bring all the agencies together to make a plan together that you will be 100 per cent involved in. so it could be anything really they'll see what supports are available be they educational, emotonal , social and host a meeting with everyone so everyones on the same page about what needs to happen and when and whos job it is which should lift a huge amount of stress off the family and move things on at a faster pace.i know a women who works with them and shes so nice and i know the are not allowed to take on cases where the case is active within child protection so if its meitheal there definitely isnt an active child protection concern, so youve nothing to lose and everything to gain. Also wanted to say well done for getting the help your son needed you sound like a great mam.

I am a lead practioner in Meitheal. One can only be called if there is no social work involvement (it is an early intervention strategy) and there needs to be more than two services involved. A Meitheal would also only be called if the parents are 100% involved. The OP wouldn't be unsure if that was the route being taken as they would be fully informed and have to give written consent.

I am a lead practioner in Meitheal. One can only be called if there is no social work involvement (it is an early intervention strategy) and there needs to be more than two services involved. A Meitheal would also only be called if the parents are 100% involved. The OP wouldn't be unsure if that was the route being taken as they would be fully informed and have to give written consent.

I don't know what to think from it all then really, I'm so tired from thinking about it all tbh.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it will take the social services to converse with us or let us know what might be happening?

Does anyone have an idea of how long it will take the social services to converse with us or let us know what might be happening?

Check in with CAMHS on whether they made the referral or not. Then ask which social work department have they referred to (medical, etc.). To be honest, I very much doubt you have anything to worry about. Social work might actually just pass your case over to a family support service who might help you get routines in place, assist you in managing your son's behaviour better, etc. Noone is trying to judge and noone assumed you are a bad parent. It will all be strengths based and focus on helping you. Please try not to worry.

Check in with CAMHS on whether they made the referral or not. Then ask which social work department have they referred to (medical, etc.). To be honest, I very much doubt you have anything to worry about. Social work might actually just pass your case over to a family support service who might help you get routines in place, assist you in managing your son's behaviour better, etc. Noone is trying to judge and noone assumed you are a bad parent. It will all be strengths based and focus on helping you. Please try not to worry.

Yes, we have a brief computer screening for our son this week with CAMHS (as we're still in the process of them making a decision as to whether he has adhd) so I could ask them then.
    They are also referring him to OT to check if there may be sensory issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Hi OP, you're getting loads of info on here and some of it might be confusing.

Here's my input, for what it's worth:

CAMHS make a referral to social work dept
    S.W. Determine level of need
    S.W. May refer to Meitheal, which deals with less serious cases, i.e. where there are no issues of child protection.
    Meitheal will assist you in getting access to appropriate services, and as loveinapril says, will have your consent to do so. Meitheal is based on voluntary consent, if you do not consent, Meitheal cannot proceed.

Meitheal is a great service, albeit in the early stages of development in many parts of the country. The idea is to take pressure off social workers to free them up to deal with the most serious cases of child protection. Not every referral to a social work department requires the intervention of a social worker, lots of families just need someone to project manage the access to services and the Meitheal co-ordination has huge knowledge of what is available in their area.

In terms of waiting times, it can take a while, depends on what part of the country you are in really and the length of the waiting list.

Hi OP, you're getting loads of info on here and some of it might be confusing.

Here's my input, for what it's worth:

CAMHS make a referral to social work dept
    S.W. Determine level of need
    S.W. May refer to Meitheal, which deals with less serious cases, i.e. where there are no issues of child protection.
    Meitheal will assist you in getting access to appropriate services, and as loveinapril says, will have your consent to do so. Meitheal is based on voluntary consent, if you do not consent, Meitheal cannot proceed.

Meitheal is a great service, albeit in the early stages of development in many parts of the country. The idea is to take pressure off social workers to free them up to deal with the most serious cases of child protection. Not every referral to a social work department requires the intervention of a social worker, lots of families just need someone to project manage the access to services and the Meitheal co-ordination has huge knowledge of what is available in their area.

In terms of waiting times, it can take a while, depends on what part of the country you are in really and the length of the waiting list.

Thanks for your advice suppose will have to just wait and see now what will happen.

• Advertisement

So I rang CAMHS and they got back to me awhile ago. I had been feeling less panicked but still worried, but I'm back at square one again.
    The clinical nurse specialist I spoke to has said they have referred our case to social workers and doesn't know when they'll be in touch, probably by phone. But the worst of all it is to the child protection part so its obviously back to panic mode in my head again. Don't know if I even have the energy I need to worry anymore.:(

So I rang CAMHS and they got back to me awhile ago. I had been feeling less panicked but still worried, but I'm back at square one again.
    The clinical nurse specialist I spoke to has said they have referred our case to social workers and doesn't know when they'll be in touch, probably by phone. But the worst of all it is to the child protection part so its obviously back to panic mode in my head again. Don't know if I even have the energy I need to worry anymore.:(

What are you actually worried about? Try to lay them out and logically answer them.

Are there any child protection concerns at home?

Presumably the answer is no, and social workers will see that.

They may be concerned at how your son's condition is impacting the family and may refer your family to appropriate services.

What are you actually worried about? Try to lay them out and logically answer them.

Are there any child protection concerns at home?

Presumably the answer is no, and social workers will see that.

They may be concerned at how your son's condition is impacting the family and may refer your family to appropriate services.

Im probably most worried that they'll look and see that theres five children in the family, not really the norm anymore, read whatever the CAMHS practitioner has written about stress etc and decide that we are a "high risk" family when I really really don't see we're that bad. We're managing and trying our best. People seemed amazed and comment how do you manage with five, but we're so used to it, we're ok.
    I just worry they'll see us badly and before I know it my children will be gone, it is child protection, so I am presuming thats a different dept again to welfare, which to me sounds terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Im probably most worried that they'll look and see that theres five children in the family, not really the norm anymore, read whatever the CAMHS practitioner has written about stress etc and decide that we are a "high risk" family when I really really don't see we're that bad. We're managing and trying our best. People seemed amazed and comment how do you manage with five, but we're so used to it, we're ok.
    I just worry they'll see us badly and before I know it my children will be gone, it is child protection, so I am presuming thats a different dept again to welfare, which to me sounds terrible.

God love you, you are in a knot over this. Firstly, can I just say that social workers being involved is not a bad thing. Some wrongly accociate them only as the people that take children away. The only way it's possible is if they feel that children are badly neglected. What you hear less about social workers is that they actually *help* families if they need it. It's far more preferable to them if children stay with their families that love and care for them. Social workers have access to supports that they can organise for families with a child or children with special needs.

Larger families might be a bit rarer now, but it's irrelevant here. They work to keep the family together and running as smoothly as possible. Breaking a family up is the very last thing they want to do. In neglect cases you are talking about not having the basic needs such as shelter, heat, food, or some kind of abuse. None of those things seem to be any kind of an issue for your son, and it seems to me he has a very loving home :)

Don't be afraid to speak with them. You might be surprised how much they can help your family, if you just let them. Your family are going through an assessment of your needs, not a judgement of your parenting. Try to stay calm :)

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

That's a valid point. There are other children to be considered than just your son. Of course your son is the focus of most of your attention, as he needs to be, but the other children could be at risk of being sidelined. Now please, please, I don't mean this as a negative thing!! Please don't read it like that, but your other children are bound to be affected and maybe the social worker will be able to get supports in place for them. Somewhere they can go to be in a group of peers in similar situations. Somewhere to go where they can be the focus of attention for a while without having the responsibility of managing their brother etc.

Again, I am not for a second suggesting you are neglecting or sidelining your other children, but depending on how old they are, they are still children. And children can very often internalise problems and shoulder a lot of responsibility for stress in the family... When they are in no way responsible for it, in any way!!

Nobody wants to take your children away from you. Nobody. People want to support your family and help you all deal with a difficult situation.

I really feel for you. I am so sorry you are going through this added stress. Anyone can refer anyone to social workers. The social workers make up their own minds. A huge misconception about social workers is that they take kids away from their families. They don't! They don't have the power to do this. Only the Gardaí have the power to do this. Your kids woukd have to be at an immediate risk of serious harm for this to happen. Are they? (I am asking this so you can see that they are not). I have worked with kids in care for years (residential and foster). They are always in care as that's where they are better off (due to parental mental health issues, parental substance misuse, abuse, neglect, etc). I would have absolutely no thoughts that your kids would be taken into care based on what you have said. In my opinion, social work may meet with you once then refer you on to a lesser service, like family support. You ordinarily wouldn't come up on their radar so I doubt they would 'waste' their resources on you (in the nicest possible way!). If you are open and honest with social work it is likely that they will just go away.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much everyone for all your thoughts, you don't realise how much help you've been in trying to keep me sane over the last little while and thats the truth.
    I keep looking out for a letter and have my phone strapped to me in case I hear anything from social services. If only it was all done and dusted for Christmas, it sure won't be the same this year.
    Anyway I suppose we'll just have to keep the faith and wait another while to see what happens.
    You are all angels for trying to help and I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lovemykids

Thanks so much everyone for all your thoughts, you don't realise how much help you've been in trying to keep me sane over the last little while and thats the truth.
    I keep looking out for a letter and have my phone strapped to me in case I hear anything from social services. If only it was all done and dusted for Christmas, it sure won't be the same this year.
    Anyway I suppose we'll just have to keep the faith and wait another while to see what happens.
    You are all angels for trying to help and I appreciate it.

Hi just seeing how you got on am now in the same boat and in bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi Lovemykids - while I appreciate very much that you are seeking assistance, it is against the Forum charter to request updates from a poster.

We work on the principle that posters are not obligated to return here to provide updates. In this case, I will leave your request for update in case the OP wishes to respond.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i'll be honest and admit i wouldn't like the idea of social workers involved in my family. there have been too many reports of failures with social workers and their involvement with families in this country. maybe not on the scale of the uk but too much for my liking all the same,

it's only natural to be wary of them and if you're finding you and your family under stress already, then the thought of strangers getting involved will no doubt, raise that some more.
    i'd like to think they mean well and will try to help so i would encourage you to engage with them whenever you can. hopefully they will help with the issues your son is experiencing and in a short time they'll be out of your lives.

best of luck

Lovemykids wrote: »
    Hi just seeing how you got on am now in the same boat and in bits

Hiya,
    Sorry to hear you're going through this, its a living nightmare, I know.
    Would you believe if I told you we're still waiting to hear something....anything from social services 😶

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Hiya,
    Sorry to hear you're going through this, its a living nightmare, I know.
    Would you believe if I told you we're still waiting to hear something....anything from social services 😶

Hi

Just thought I'd chime in.

My partner and I are in the same boat as you except we are near the end.

Her son from a previous relationship has finally been finally been diagnosed with camhs with adhd and conduct disorder a month ago. Last November we were referred to social workers due to the stress we were all under (2 other kids) and finally 3 weeks ago we have been getting family support from them. It's basically a worker who comes to the house once a week to give you a break to get shopping done or whatever you need to for a couple of hours. To be honest it's a god send. Her son has started medication last week and is improving.
    It does take a while and you need to get on to them constantly but eventually you will get the help you need.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lovemykids

Guess it's just wait and see ☺️🀞😀

There is no shame in admitting as parents that we don't have all the answers. Sometimes, we don't even know the question.
    When you go to camhs, it's for help, they will give you a different way of looking at what's happening within the whole family unit and its amazing the support they will give. I know not all outcomes are good, but in general it's there to help you. Call them if you need them to be more urgent. Make sure they're aware of you.
    I almost lost my eldest daughter to suicide. She's a different person now thanks to the intervention and support we got from camhs.
    It wasn't overnight, it took 4 years, take all the help you can get. Don't hide it and don't panic when the word social worker is mentioned. They are there to help you.
    I wish you the best with your journey. It's not easy, but keep hoping and eventually, this too shall pass! :)

Advertisement