Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which timber for raised beds?

Options
  • 26-11-2016 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Am in the process of replacing my raised beds as the timber has decayed quite a lot. I also want to add in an extra raised bed while I'm at it. I'll be using the beds to grow vegetable crops.
    Any suggestions as to what's best to use? I know that railway sleepers are out because of the risk of chemicals leeching into the soil. I think the timber in my current raised beds may have been pressure treated, but I'm not sure.
    Any suggestions are most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can get pressure treated timber in approx the same dimensions as sleepers, though in longer lengths. The people who did mine lined the timber (not the bottom) with some sort of black liner - it is not just black plastic and it is not the stuff you put in flower beds, not sure what it is.

I picked up some used scaffolding boards on done deal. They were in good condition to be fair. Drove some pressure treated posts and attached the boards to them. I lined the inside of them with DampProof Course (DPC).

I know it wont last for ever but Id be happy getting a few years from them.

Advertisement