Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on IP Camera selection and installation for my house

Options
  • 26-11-2016 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Renovating my house at the moment and will run CAT6 cable around. Want to install 3 external cameras with decent video quality.

Any recommendations on what brands, where to buy, a shopping list etc?
    I understand Id need x3 cameras (will go for 2mp dome i think)
    a DVR
    A switch

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

HikVision for all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

KoolKid wrote: »
    HikVision for all of it.

Tks. Is there some issues about HikVision these days in terms of the market outside of Asia? A friend mentioned this to me a while back, to be honest I don't recall what exactly his point was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

+1 for hikvision. Fantastic quality.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

kifi wrote: »
    Tks. Is there some issues about HikVision these days in terms of the market outside of Asia? A friend mentioned this to me a while back, to be honest I don't recall what exactly his point was

No issues & great support.

No issues & great support.

Where do you order from?

• Advertisement

Mercury in Ballymount.

Mercury in Ballymount.

No prices on the website, never a good sign!! Have you experience with them?

Almost all wholesales would not put up pricing on their site.

Almost all wholesales would not put up pricing on their site.

OK. Cheers. I'm not in the business so I'd need a retailer who sells to the end user. Any ideas of who can do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

I Bought mine from Ebay UK. 3mp POE.

I have 2 one at front of house and one for Back. Great cameras. Bought a NAS drive from Adverts + 4 Port POE and purchased Blue Irish software. Put the lot on a old i5 Laptop and works a treat. Never had a problem.

Adverts have them for sale.

Go with 3mp or 4mp The quality is great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

For an uninformed reader this topic is formidable - is there a Ladybird post?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

BabySlam wrote: »
    For an uninformed reader this topic is formidable - is there a Ladybird post?

Ok IP Cameras can be powered via a plug in power usually 5v) or POE (Power Over Ethernet)

For POE you need a HUB (Router) that can do POE) You then plug that POE router into you network Router via a RJ45 standard network cable and plug the IP Cameras into one of the POE ports.

IP Cameras come in many different forms also and can be for Inside or Outside. The Higher the Resolution the better the pic. There are also Fixed Lenses or Variable. Fixed give you a give field of view while Variable you can set the field of view. I went with a Dome camera, Fixed. with a resolution of 3 megapixel.

So if you go with a HIKVision Cameras (to which there are many types) you can use there software to Run and Configure the cameras (There are loads of Youtube vids on how to set-up these HIKVision cameras. I didn't use their software but went with Blue Irish software which was about 50 Euros for the Software and license.

You will then need to store the camera images (Mines configured for 7 days) I Use a NAS Drive which is a network hard drive (on my home network) so I can map a drive from blue Iris to use this storage for the images.

(You also need to consider how to get the Cable from your camera to the POE router) You will need to Crimp the ends of the cable (CAT 5e or Cat 6) with RJ45 connectors

I run Blue Iris from a Laptop Lenovo T500 which does the job

Hope that helps

Advertisement