Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you leave your baby in a car?

Options
  • 26-11-2016 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

I was talking to my mam yesterday and she reckons that I am nuts to take the babies out of the car if I am running into the chemist or whatever, that they would be warmer and more comfortable in the car as long as it is only a few mins or so.

I would be terrified that something would happen to them, though to be fair to her I couldn't really articulate to my mam what that something might be.

Just wondering what the rest of you think about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

With twins, yes for sure! As long as its a quick in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

If they were always within sight I don't see a problem otherwise definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

No never. Why would you leave your child open to something happening to them for the sake of convenience?! Anything could happen to the car. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something did happen.

I don't really get that logic. Anything could also happen when you have them with you, especially if juggling two car seats, wallet, keys and shopping.

Are you kidding? You don't get the logic?! You would rather leave your child in the car because something might happen when they are with you? Well that makes no sense whatsoever! What if the car was stolen or broken into with the child inside? What if someone reverses into the car while you're not there? I personally wouldn't have that on my conscience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

Age depends really. Would I leave a newborn or toddler? Absolutely not. A 6,7,8 year old grand so long as it's only a short time. But you'd have to be very careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Depending on the weather and temperature you could get arrested for this. You can actually get arrested for leaving a dog in the car during the summer

OP has twins. The practicalities are different. And she is just about a quick in and out eg to a chemist.

It doesn't matter whether it's 2 children or 5 children in the car. You shouldn't put your children in that situation. Your putting their safety at risk.. Going into the chemist means the children will be out of sight, that's even worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

scarbouro wrote: »
    It doesn't matter whether it's 2 children or 5 children in the car. You shouldn't put your children in that situation. Your putting their safety at risk.. Going into the chemist means the children will be out of sight, that's even worse!

I did start by saying that I don't do this, just that my mum was suggesting that maybe I should.

Can you actually articulate what might happen to a baby in this situation in your opinion though? My mum was asking me what I thought could go wrong and I couldn't give an answer. Obviously you wouldn't do it on a hot day, but apart from that.

• Advertisement

Edups2.0 wrote: »
    Age depends really. Would I leave a newborn or toddler? Absolutely not. A 6,7,8 year old grand so long as it's only a short time. But you'd have to be very careful.

That's funny. There is no way I would leave an older child, but that is because my brother crashed our car by leaving off the handbrake when he was about that age!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

brokensoul wrote:
    Can you actually articulate what might happen to a baby in this situation in your opinion though? My mum was asking me what I thought could go wrong and I couldn't give an answer. Obviously you wouldn't do it on a hot day, but apart from that.

Someone could break into the car and kidnap the baby. Or the baby could have a convulsion ......

Someone could break into the car and kidnap the baby. Or the baby could have a convulsion ......

They could I suppose. I have to say the notion of someone breaking into a car in broad daylight and stealing two babies is so unlikely (imo) that I wouldn't really consider it.

The convulsion one makes sense though.

I know you said you wouldn't do it OP.

As I have mentioned above, if the car is stolen or broken into. Someone crashes into the parked car. Child starts choking or getting extremely distraught being left alone.

There's an awful lot of car break ins at the moment and especially in car parks ect. I don't see how anyone would put their child in danger like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The car going on fire would be the worse case scenario, might not even be your car could be the car next to it. As a rule of thumb never park next to an Opel Zafira.

People are getting their cars broken into every day in broad daylight!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

I was walking along a street recently - nice cafe at the end of the street. About 100 yards from the cafe I walked past a car. A child of about 4 or 5 had managed to get a small baby out of her car seat and was about to head off down the street with her under his arm!! No sign of adult. I asked him was he ok and he told me that mammy had gone to get a coffee but he got scared when she left and he wanted to go to her. Garda on bicycle came along as I was speaking to the little boy. Left it in his capable hands (he was not one bit pleased by the situation). Now I know this is very different to leaving a child in a car outside a shop with full visibility but who knows what might go through a small child's head...

There could be a robbery in the chemist by a junkie... you could have a car crash into you while you take child out of car if parking on street. There are a lot of what ifs. Applying blanket rules is not necessarily the way to go. It's about using a bit of cop on.

I too would be more nervous about leaving older children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'd leave a newborn or young baby for something that's literally an in/out collection transaction where the car remained in sight. Think picking up a take away that's ready, paying for petrol etc.

A pedestrian carrying a baby is probably at more risk on a garage forecourt then the car (and a baby in it) itself.

A more mobile child or out of sight then no.

My driveway is to the side of my house, out of sight of my front door though only 5m away. Every time I come home alone with baby he either stays in the car by himself or the house by himself while everything gets brought in. Quick commercial transactions aren't hugely different.

fits wrote: »
    There could be a robbery in the chemist by a junkie... you could have a car crash into you while you take child out of car if parking on street. There are a lot of what ifs. Applying blanket rules is not necessarily the way to go.

I too would be more nervous about leaving older children.

You're being absolutely ridiculous. Those things may happen but it would be out of my control and at least I would know that I, personally, did what I could to protect them. You can't protect them if your not there with them!!! You're just trying to justify why you would leave your child in danger and its coming across stupid and irresponsible.

• Advertisement

I'd leave a newborn or young baby for something that's literally an in/out collection transaction where the car remained in sight. Think picking up a take away that's ready, paying for petrol etc.

A pedestrian carrying a baby is probably at more risk on a garage forecourt then the car (and a baby in it) itself.

A more mobile child or out of sight then no.

My driveway is to the side of my house, out of sight of my front door though only 5m away. Every time I come home alone with baby he either stays in the car by himself or the house by himself while everything gets brought in. Quick commercial transactions aren't hugely different.

Thanks. That is probably a reasonable rule of thumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

If its a corner shop/chemist with no queue - yes, straight in and out, can be done in less than a minute. Some of the posts are laughable, break ins, convulsions etc. The op did say a "quick in and out", not a stroll around tesco!
    I bet most of you take phone calls in the car via bluetooth or even handset - your putting your kids in far more danger then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

I was walking along a street recently - nice cafe at the end of the street. About 100 yards from the cafe I walked past a car. A child of about 4 or 5 had managed to get a small baby out of her car seat and was about to head off down the street with her under his arm!! No sign of adult. I asked him was he ok and he told me that mammy had gone to get a coffee but he got scared when she left and he wanted to go to her. Garda on bicycle came along as I was speaking to the little boy. Left it in his capable hands (he was not one bit pleased by the situation). Now I know this is very different to leaving a child in a car outside a shop with full visibility but who knows what might go through a small child's head...

I don't believe you!

scarbouro wrote: »
    You're being absolutely ridiculous. Those things may happen but it would be out of my control and at least I would know that I, personally, did what I could to protect them. You can't protect them if your not there with them!!! You're just trying to justify why you would leave your child in danger and its coming across stupid and irresponsible.

Enough with the personal abuse thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

risk of convulsions, baby gets sick, caught in belt...not a chance I'd leave a child in a car on its own.

[quote= Some of the posts are laughable, break ins, convulsions etc..[/quote]

Your saying there doesn't be car break ins or children don't take convulsions?! How naive are you? Of course these things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Only if I'm picking up a few bits in the off licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

I'd often leave the baby in the car when I'm running in to pay for petrol, but I can still see the car. I sometimes run into the shops quickly if my 13 year old is in the car to keep an eye on the baby, otherwise I wouldn't really be comfortable leaving her alone no matter how tempting it can be

Advertisement