Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you leave your baby in a car?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Some people have "catastrophe syndrome".

Children are molly coddled far too much these days and that is far more harmful.

One poster scare mongers ands gives examples after trawling through the Internet.

One case in Limerick 5 years ago with older children and the keys left in the ignition, one case in USA and one case in London.

I reckon if the op takes reasonable basic precautions such as not leaving a key in the ignition there would be no problems.whatsoever.

There have been zero cases of a child under 10 abducted in Ireland by a non related person in Ireland in living memory.

In fact it is so rare in western society, that when it does happen, it creates massive headlines which then feed into the minds of those with catastrophe syndrome. (yes its a real syndrome)

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

If its a corner shop/chemist with no queue - yes, straight in and out, can be done in less than a minute. Some of the posts are laughable, break ins, convulsions etc. The op did say a "quick in and out", not a stroll around tesco! I bet most of you take phone calls in the car via bluetooth or even handset - your putting your kids in far more danger then.
    Firstly you can never guarantee the quick in and out as you don't know how many will be in the chemist, petrol station etc.

Secondly the point is if something happens to the baby you are not there to intervene. Why take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

People wouldn't leave their mobile phone in the car in case it might be broken into...but a baby is grand ;) I wouldn't chance it myself, for all the reasons above, you might intend to nip in and out but I know I've often found myself kept waiting when the person serving pops into the back or has to take a call. Even getting petrol I now go to a petrol station that takes card payment at the pump just to avoid the faff of taking the baby in with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

I do sometimes in my local shop, if I feel it'a a safe situation.

I really like those pay at pumps petrol stations.

I was walking along a street recently - nice cafe at the end of the street. About 100 yards from the cafe I walked past a car. A child of about 4 or 5 had managed to get a small baby out of her car seat and was about to head off down the street with her under his arm!! No sign of adult. I asked him was he ok and he told me that mammy had gone to get a coffee but he got scared when she left and he wanted to go to her. Garda on bicycle came along as I was speaking to the little boy. Left it in his capable hands (he was not one bit pleased by the situation). Now I know this is very different to leaving a child in a car outside a shop with full visibility but who knows what might go through a small child's head...

You should be writing for Waterford Whispers News - or the National Enquirer.

• Advertisement

People wouldn't leave their mobile phone in the car in case it might be broken into...but a baby is grand ;)

Difficult to sell babies on donedeal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

Walter2016 wrote: »

Children are molly coddled far too much these days and that is far more harmful.

So leave them in a car unattended and hope for the best is it? Looking after your children responsibly isn't molly coddling them. What a bizarre statement. I wouldn't take the chance of something happening to my children. As someone else pointed out, you wouldn't leave your phone or laptop in a car so why a child!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I never did with mine. I wouldn't leave the buggy/carseat outside the shop for convenience so I wouldn't leave baby in the car either. Not necessarily due to worries about a freak accident/kidnappers etc., just that if I am responsible for the baby I am not going to leave them unattended. I wouldnt leave an older child outside either, I'd bring them with me.

I think if anything was a worry it wouldn't necessarily be that there could be some freak accident with the car/baby (which isnt impossible either) but more that something could happen to delay you from what is supposed to be a quick in and out, or if something happened you while in the shop nobody would be aware that the baby is left alone in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Some people have "catastrophe syndrome".

One poster scare mongers ands gives examples after trawling through the Internet.

One case in Limerick 5 years ago with older children and the keys left in the ignition, one case in USA and one case in London.

I reckon if the op takes reasonable basic precautions such as not leaving a key in the ignition there would be no problems.whatsoever.

There have been zero cases of a child under 10 abducted in Ireland by a non related person in Ireland in living memory.

In fact it is so rare in western society, that when it does happen, it creates massive headlines which then feed into the minds of those with catastrophe syndrome. (yes its a real syndrome)

Agreed I could come up with multiple examples of how the children could be put in harms way by taking them out and exposing them to traffic .

It could be argued that leaving the children in the car is a lower risk scenario then taking them out from their steel safety cage , however , the time on their own would be the biggest deciding factor as well as the frequency of doing this .

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

scarbouro wrote: »
    So leave them in a car unattended and hope for the best is it? Looking after your children responsibly isn't molly coddling them. What a bizarre statement. I wouldn't take the chance of something happening to my children. As someone else pointed out, you wouldn't leave your phone or laptop in a car so why a child!

Do you not think you are being a bit aggressive in your responses here?

• Advertisement

brokensoul wrote: »
    Do you not think you are being a bit aggressive in your responses here?

No not really. I can't understand why anyone would leave their own child unattended. It's your own children's safety and its your responsibility.

Can you locate one example of the catastrophes you are concerned about that has happened to a toddler - now please don't quote Facebook pages which are full of BS about men in white vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

risk of convulsions, baby gets sick, caught in belt...not a chance I'd leave a child in a car on its own.
    I take it then if you're in the house, you take the baby everywhere with you at all times? If the baby is asleep in their cot, then you sit by the side of it at all times, just in case it gets sick or has a convulsion? If you need to take a piss, I assume you bring the baby into the bathroom with you, after all it could choke on its own vomit in the two minutes that you're taking care of business, right?

Seriously, some people are very precious. If you're in a garage paying for petrol, or parked in front of the chemist and are picking something up, there is no problem whatsoever in leaving a baby in a car. Obviously, you ensure the doors are locked, and you certainly don't leave the keys in the ignition like that tw@t in Limerick.

No not really. I can't understand why anyone would leave their own child unattended. It's your own children's safety and its your responsibility.

So how about a baby sleeping in a different room? How about when the baby is witha relative or babysitter? Or when the toddler starts playschool.

Maybe don't only see worst case scenarios. Life is quite safe once you don't read the Daily Muck or other sensationalist tabloid rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

risk of convulsions, baby gets sick, caught in belt...not a chance I'd leave a child in a car on its own.

A baby can have a convulsion or get sick whilst in its cot too but still people let a baby sleep in its own room at night. To be honest I think some people on here are being ridiculous. I have two children, now aged 22 an 17. I left them in the car on occasions when I ran into a local shop, chemist etc. Car was always locked with windows slightly open. No one ever kidnapped them and they never came to any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I agree with the rsa on this one:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/No-Child-Car-Seat---No-Excuse/Dangers-of-leaving-children/

I would give any driver 6 points. It's something that you see too often especially in supermarket carparks & garage forecourts.

Plus bare in mind that passers by have no idea where you have gone & how long for.

So you never leave your child unattended?

How do you go to the bathroom, or go to sleep at night etc etc.

I think that people have differing opinions on what is and is not acceptable for them and their chidlren but you seem to be insisting that any standard other than your own is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

What if someone else left your baby
    In their car while they went off, would it be ok then. I happened to pass my childminders car while coming home from work, waited 20 minutes by the car for her return, she was off buying shoes for her kids, I took my baby & never returned to her for childminding just not something I was comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Are people not leaving babies in a sighted car for a few minutes in case the have convulsions now? What do they do at night? Stand watch over the cot until the morning?

I've sometimes left them in the car (within sight) for no less than a minute or so, albeit not often.

If you really got into thinking about unlikely disaster scenarios, you'd never leave the child's side until they're 16.

amber2 wrote: »
    In their car while they went off, would it be ok then. I happened to pass my childminders car while coming home from work, waited 20 minutes by the car for her return, she was off buying shoes for her kids, I took my baby & never returned to her for childminding just not something I was comfortable with.

To my mind 20 mins is ridiculous, not to mind the fact that she was doing her own errands while you were paying her to mind your baby. I think you were dead right not to continue with her services in those circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

amber2 wrote: »
    Leaving a baby in an unlocked car for 20 minutes while you go off to buy shoes is clearly very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

The car was locked, but I just happened to pass so I'm guessing he was there longer , how long I don't know but she took her kids & didn't leave them in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Indeed your kid could be having a convulsion or being kidnapped when you're laying down reams of perfect parent doctrine on the Internet downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

brokensoul wrote: »
    That's funny. There is no way I would leave an older child, but that is because my brother crashed our car by leaving off the handbrake when he was about that age!
    I left the handbrake down on my parents car when I was 3! My dad was standing outside the car chatting to a friend. Car rolled backwards out onto a road. Thankfully nothing was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Not much chance of complete strangers walking past your baby when they're asleep in their cot though?

I wouldn't be concerned about baby suddenly taking ill but I would think about possible break-ins. I know the chance of that happening is tiny but I just don't want to tempt it. When I was growing up we were left in the car for much longer than a few minutes but times change, I admit I wouldn't dismiss the idea of leaving them in the car on their own in certain circumstances (and I wouldn't judge anyone who did within reason).

I guess it's a judgment call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Isn't that the whole point of those travel systems people get? That you snap the baby in carseat onto the frame and off you go?

I have seen two unattended cars catch fire in my lifetime so far. Both were fuel line leaks. One from rodent damage, the other; wear and tear. it's just my own experience, but between leaving a child alone on a tank of explosive liquid with an ignition source, and the other vague and distant risk of suffocation /overheating if you get delayed.. yeah,they are remote, but I was easily able to organise myself around ever needing to do that.

Petrol stations, I never brought them there, either did it myself, at night, or my husband topped it up.

Tbh, we walked to most places where I would be popping in, like the post office, atm, chemist, butcher etc, so I'm never really had to cart them around in the car. Maybe I'd do it differently if I was in that situation every day.

pwurple wrote: »
    Isn't that the whole point of those travel systems people get? That you snap the baby in carseat onto the frame and off you go?

I have seen two unattended cars catch fire in my lifetime so far. Both were fuel line leaks. One from rodent damage, the other; wear and tear. it's just my own experience, but between leaving a child alone on a tank of explosive liquid with an ignition source, and the other vague and distant risk of suffocation /overheating if you get delayed.. yeah,they are remote, but I was easily able to organise myself around ever needing to do that.

Petrol stations, I never brought them there, either did it myself, at night, or my husband topped it up.

Tbh, we walked to most places where I would be popping in, like the post office, atm, chemist, butcher etc, so I'm never really had to cart them around in the car. Maybe I'd do it differently if I was in that situation every day.

I assume so. I don't have one though as there was only one buggy option for twins that would fit in our front door!

Like you, I am lucky enough to be able to walk most places so it isn't really an issue. Carting two car seats with you into a shop is no fun though on the occasions that I have had to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Are people not leaving babies in a sighted car for a few minutes in case the have convulsions now? What do they do at night? Stand watch over the cot until the morning?

I've sometimes left them in the car (within sight) for no less than a minute or so, albeit not often.

If you really got into thinking about unlikely disaster scenarios, you'd never leave the child's side until they're 16.

So why not have a couple of pints or text whilst driving ? The chances are really low but how about the consequences ?

Indeed your kid could be having a convulsion or being kidnapped when you're laying down reams of perfect parent doctrine on the Internet downstairs.

Wow! I never once said anything about perfect parenting or claiming that I am one, it's called common sense and taking responsibility of your children's safety. Why on earth would you take that chance?

How can you compare being in your home to leaving a child unattended in a car in a car park or main street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

No I don't. Then I have a toddler who faints and a preschooler who wants to be Houdini! I'd be more worried about someone scaring them by waving in windows to them getting frightened on their own. Someone reversing into my car. The car getting too hot (or too cold!). Especially going into chemist I feel like I'm in there every week and it is not a 2second in and out job! Do what is right for you op, everyone has an opinion on everything you do as a parent.

Advertisement