Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Would you leave your baby in a car?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

pwurple wrote: »
    Or perhaps take the child with them?

That's what I was pointing out- the poster's solution to the 'problem' was to avoid going to places in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

scarbouro wrote: »
    No never. Why would you leave your child open to something happening to them for the sake of convenience?! Anything could happen to the car. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something did happen.
    Imagine you had 3 kids, 2 twins that were 6 months old and a 2 year old. And you needed petrol. All 3 kids are asleep and strapped in. You'd take them all into the petrol station to pay?

I'd definitely leave them. Lots of stuff can happen in life. As for taking your I-phone and not taking your kids, as someone said, a child getting taken in Ireland is pretty much unheard of. I-phones are stolen every couple of minutes, so not exactly a good comparison. It's like saying "you'd leave a €40k car parked in Dublin city centre, why wouldn't you leave a plastic bag with €40k of cash there instead?". Because it's totally different.

There's no situation that should demand that you leave your child in this situation.

Absoultely no justification for leaving a young child/baby in a car alone.

Those comments are judgemental, as they are based solely on the poster's opinion and what s/he feels all parents should do. If the poster had said not to give a two month old solids, that would be based in fact and medical advice.
    lazygal wrote: »
    When someone is doing something wrong it is not judgemental to point this out. If someone is doing something like feeding a baby inappropriately or not meeting their developmental needs, it is not judgemental to tell them so. Children rely on their parents to keep them safe, so if parents are choosing to take a chance that is something that can lead to danger for them.
    I was left alone as a child at home, my mum had to run out for a brief message and told me to stay where I was. I panicked, ran out of the house and a total stranger picked me up in his car. Thankfully it worked out fine and he was a concerned dad who found my panicking parents almost immediately. Things can happen when you leave your children unsupervised.

There is no agreement on this thread about what constitutes 'wrong', it's all opinion. There are plenty of things that people feel are 'wrong', but it would be judgemental to point them out, from bottle-feeding to using a walker to stair-gates to screen-time.

If I had an experience like that as a child, it would probably change my perception, but I haven't. For me, the chances of something happening are so slim as to not justify waking a baby or small child to pop in to pay for petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I don't and simply because I'd feel really uneasy in doing so, it only takes a split second after all. My husband always fills my car with petrol at the weekends and if I need to go to the chemist I usually go to one in a shopping Centre where I'll be doing a grocery shop anyway etc. I'm due another little one on Monday so I appreciate it'll be harder with two but I just wouldn't be happy not being able to keep a close eye, even for a minute or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Petrol seems to be the really big problem for everyone!
    Electric car. Problem solved. Meep meep zoom. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Merkin wrote: »
    I don't and simply because I'd feel really uneasy in doing so, it only takes a split second after all. My husband always fills my car with petrol at the weekends and if I need to go to the chemist I usually go to one in a shopping Centre where I'll be doing a grocery shop anyway etc. I'm due another little one on Monday so I appreciate it'll be harder with two but I just wouldn't be happy not being able to keep a close eye, even for a minute or so.

It's amazing how many things parents are careful about on their first and by they're second it's "ahh, they'll be grand".
    First one and you never let them out of your sight. Second one and you hear screams coming from the bedroom and you just ignore it. "ahh, they're probably just playing".

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Cienciano wrote: »
    It's amazing how many things parents are careful about on their first and by they're second it's "ahh, they'll be grand".
    First one and you never let them out of your sight. Second one and you hear screams coming from the bedroom and you just ignore it. "ahh, they're probably just playing".

"It is a fact
    quite unmistakable.
    The second child
    is always less breakable.

- Ogdan Nash

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I always said I would never leave my kids in a car either - but sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise...
    I collect both our kids from their different daycares and for logistics sake it's always the 3 year old first and then the baby. Some days the 3 year old flat out refuses to leave the car and come with me into the childminders house to collect the baby. What should I do in this case? Have you ever tried to wrestle a tantruming 3 year old out of a car and then back in again, with a baby in the other arm? Not happening. 
    So in those cases I have to leave him there with the car locked, while I run in for the baby. I hate doing it but there isn't another way that I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I always said I would never leave my kids in a car either - but sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise...
    I collect both our kids from their different daycares and for logistics sake it's always the 3 year old first and then the baby. Some days the 3 year old flat out refuses to leave the car and come with me into the childminders house to collect the baby. What should I do in this case? Have you ever tried to wrestle a tantruming 3 year old out of a car and then back in again, with a baby in the other arm? Not happening. 
    So in those cases I have to leave him there with the car locked, while I run in for the baby. I hate doing it but there isn't another way that I can see.

You are letting a 3 year old dictate what you do? You're going to have fun when they're a teenager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We have a three year old, and whether he likes it or not we make the calls on safety. He covered road safety in Montessori recently and we reinforce this. Staying in his seat might be his preference, but not if he's not going to be safe. And I have wrestled with a baby and a toddler as we have a 15 month gap. Baby into sling or buggy, hands free for the sibling to keep them under control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

FortySeven wrote: »
    You are letting a 3 year old dictate what you do? You're going to have fun when they're a teenager.

Yes I do! I pick my battles and sometimes they win!!!! I put on the tv sometimes when trying to cook (giving in), I buy a scone in a supermarket the odd time to stop the screaming and allow the rest of the shop have some peace etc

From the minute they're born, like it or not, they 'dictate' what you do, in some way or another. Mine 'dictated' my sleeping and waking times for quite a while....:rolleyes:

This does not sound like something a parent would say, but I'll stand corrected if it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

From the minute they're born, like it or not, they 'dictate' what you do, in some way or another. Mine 'dictated' my sleeping and waking times for quite a while....:rolleyes:

This does not sound like something a parent would say, but I'll stand corrected if it is.

3 kids, was a full time father for them. 1 was a teen, 1 was a toddler and 1 was a baby.

The broken sleep is one thing, can't be helped. Tantrums? They don't do it if it doesn't get them what they want. Giving in to children is a slippery slope, especially if tantruming is involved.

To me, that is the definition of parenting. Letting them do what they want is the opposite.

3 kids, was a full time father for them. 1 was a teen, 1 was a toddler and 1 was a baby.

The broken sleep is one thing, can't be helped. Tantrums? They don't do it if it doesn't get them what they want. Giving in to children is a slippery slope, especially if tantruming is involved.

To me, that is the definition of parenting. Letting them do what they want is the opposite.

Apologies then, but then you'll know that you can't fight and win every battle with them. Some things just aren't worth the hassle, like my four year old's epic War on Carrots or the other poster's child's refusal to go into the childminder's. If a child is throwing tantrums about lots of things, you have a problem, but if it's just one thing that upsets them, then it doesn't mean they'll turn into nightmare teenagers.

Advertisement