Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help find crack 10 speed

Options
  • 26-11-2016 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi please see photo attached. I had this on my bike and a bike shop said it was no good and took d Teath off it (not sure that is what it is called). But I have found out it was fine and did not need to come off.

So I what to put it back on d bike but not sure we're to get d part d chain goes on (don't know what it is called).
    I have 2009 10 speed Shimano Dura-Ace group set. Any help in were I go to get this part or what it is called.
    Sorry if this is a silly question.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Delboy007 wrote: »
    Hi please see photo attached. I had this on my bike and a bike shop said it was no good and took d Teath off it (not sure that is what it is called). But I have found out it was fine and did not need to come off.

So I what to put it back on d bike but not sure we're to get d part d chain goes on (don't know what it is called).
    I have 2009 10 speed Shimano Dura-Ace group set. Any help in were I go to get this part or what it is called.
    Sorry if this is a silly question.

Thanks

u furgo d piktur bu I tink its called a sproke

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Photo?

Can not find how to put up a photo sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

u furgo d piktur bu I tink its called a sproke

Say what?????

Sorry photo up now am on my phone so had to go to full site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It's a crank set. I assume you're looking for chain rings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a bike shop took your crank off because they said it was no good, but did not replace it?
    i don't follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Does the bike currently have 2 pedals attached? If so, they replaced the crank arm. If not, you need a new bike shop.

They put on a Sora on it. There was noise come from d bike took it into d shop. They said they replaced d bearings. So when I took d bike out again I was still getting a noise so took it back he then said d crack was gone and he put on d Sora one. Took it out again still noise so too it back then he said were d crank sat into d frame was gone and d bike was no good. So I took it to another bike shop. They look at it and one the bearings he put in were not new and also they found that the quick reaslse were worn and d head (hold there handle bars) was losses and it was these 3 things that was making d noise. When back to d shop and asked for my old crank back and he said he threw out d parts that i am not looking for.
    I show him and d manger d quick releasesearch and bearings. But they were having none of it and just said it is d other bike shop word against there etc. Had a long chat with them but they were not going to do anything about it. So I just cut my losses and will never go back there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

'the' - it's not a difficult word to spell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Telpis

Thanks that is so useful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Neither is crank, to be fair, but this also seems to be getting confused with crack throughout the posts....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thanks that is so useful

Maybe if you took a little more care with your posting you would not be subject to such comments

And just so you know, txt spk is frowned upon across the site. Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If I read your post right the second shop has fully repaired your bike. The first shop made a load of claims but most turned out to be false. They did charge you for parts etc. By the sounds of it, all things the first bike shop should have had a quick look over.

It's hard to say as the work they done may have been needed and now they have thrown out the old parts, it would be nearly impossible to prove. Quite possibly alot of it did (chainrings and BBs wear out). The fact that they fobbed you off after a misdiagnosis on the frame reeks of laziness and a lack of concern for customer satisfaction.

Best I can recommend is to never darken their door again and tell all your friends the same. Drop them an email to let them know your feelings but leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Are you saying that they took off the carbon crank, replaced it with Shimano Sora, and threw the carbon crank away?

If so, I'd find it very hard to fathom why they would do this unless they had contacted you and you had told them to install the Sora one, as it's not exactly replacing like for like.

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Are you saying that they took off the carbon crank, replaced it with Shimano Sora, and threw the carbon crank away?

If so, I'd find it very hard to fathom why they would do this unless they had contacted you and you had told them to install the Sora one, as it's not exactly replacing like for like.
    Hi
    Yes they did replace the carbon crank and replaced it with Shimano Sora, without phoning me 1st. I only found this out when I went to pick up the bike. They said they thrown out the chain rings as they said they were done (which I do not believe now), I got the crank arm back off them.
    So I am trying to find the inside and out side chain rings to fit the crank arms which I am having problems finding as it is for a 10 speed

Hi
    Yes they did replace the carbon crank and replaced it with Shimano Sora, without phoning me 1st. I only found this out when I went to pick up the bike. They said they thrown out the chain rings as they said they were done (which I do not believe now), I got the crank arm back off them.
    So I am trying to find the inside and out side chain rings to fit the crank arms which I am having problems finding as it is for a 10 speed

To be fair, if it is the chainrings, and they have been in use since 2009, I would well believe it. You can get them easily enough online. The 10 speed shimano stuff is fairly interchangable. Tiagra or 105 should come in at about 15 - 30 euro per chainring. Very easy to fit. I realise it is more money but they have been honest about this part of it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Hi

To be fair, if it is the chainrings, and they have been in use since 2009, I would well believe it. You can get them easily enough online. The 10 speed shimano stuff is fairly interchangable. Tiagra or 105 should come in at about 15 - 30 euro per chainring. Very easy to fit. I realise it is more money but they have been honest about this part of it.
    Thanks for the replay, I don't mind spending the money as long as I can get the crank arms back on, I have to say I am not very good online and I have not been able to find the chain rings, would you know a web site I could get them, I started racing last year (A4) so not sure would a Compact or Standard chainset suit best. Any help finding them would be of great help and you would make me one happy man.

Thanks for the replay, I don't mind spending the money as long as I can get the crank arms back on, I have to say I am not very good online and I have not been able to find the chain rings, would you know a web site I could get them, I started racing last year (A4) so not sure would a Compact or Standard chainset suit best. Any help finding them would be of great help and you would make me one happy man.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/chainrings/road-chainrings?f=4294964100,4294963637

For an idea. Is the crank you have now compact or regular ie 110 or 130 bcd.

• Advertisement

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/chainrings/road-chainrings?f=4294964100,4294963637

For an idea. Is the crank you have now compact or regular ie 110 or 130 bcd.
    Thank you so much for your help, how do I know if the crank I have now compact or regular i.e. 110 or 130 bcd, so sorry as you can tell I am pretty clueless on all this stuff, but I am learning

Measure from the center of the crank out to the center of one of the bolts. Double the distance and that is your BCD. Should be close to either 110mm or 130mm.

Measure from the center of the crank out to the center of one of the bolts. Double the distance and that is your BCD. Should be close to either 110mm or 130mm.
    Thank you so much, you have been great help, I know now what I will be asking for xmas

Bicycle-BCD.jpg
    Just in case my directions were not clear,

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Is it just me or is the photo from the OP not a SRAM crank?

Dura-ace chain rings on it would look very strange

Is it just me or is the photo from the OP not a SRAM  crank?

Thanks for that, I had a Dura-ace chain rings on this before. But I don't really know that much about cranks so it could be a SRAM one.

So I checked last night and I have a Compact crank on the bike now.
    So was look at the Shimano Ultegra FC6750 10sp Compact Chainrings (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-ultegra-fc6750-10sp-compact-chainrings/rp-prod116082 ) 
    or the Shimano 105 FC5750 10 Speed Compact Chainrings (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-105-fc5750-10-speed-compact-chainrings/rp-prod116086)
    My question is apart from the price what is the main difference, would there be a big difference in performance between them? Any help would be great

My question is apart from the price what is the main difference, would there be a big difference in performance between them? Any help would be great

Probably an insignificant weight saving with the Ultegra (can't see the weights, there may not be any if they are different years) but not worth the extra. 105 is decent quality and reliable, certainly suitable for racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Is it just me or is the photo from the OP not a SRAM crank?

Actually think it's a Specialized crank!

• Advertisement
Advertisement