Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Brunette for greying?

Options
  • 26-11-2016 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Well money is tight and I'm thinking of doing hair myself for a spell. It's been a long time since I've done it myself. I'm a mid to dark brunette with a lot of greys at temples and crown and I've tried root touch up between colours but it doesn't work very well any more. There's always small greys around temples left and it's so annoying. Can anyone recommend a decent colour they buy themselves.

I know I'll never achieve a salon look at home but even close would be OK right now. Failing that if anyone knows a hairdresser who does nixers in D24 if they could pm me I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I only ever do my own hair. I use Garnier Nutrisse. Iced coffee is the colour i go for (I am also a dark brunette with too many greys!) But there is another nice one called Cappuchino i think. Out of all the dyes I have used, I find this the most gentle on my hair. And I love the conditioner you get with it.

Olio is a few quid dearer and is also a great dye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I only ever do my own hair. I use Garnier Nutrisse. Iced coffee is the colour i go for (I am also a dark brunette with too many greys!) But there is another nice one called Cappuchino i think. Out of all the dyes I have used, I find this the most gentle on my hair. And I love the conditioner you get with it.

Olio is a few quid dearer and is also a great dye.

Thanks for the speedy reply I'll take a look at those. Would you ever have to use two boxes. .. if your hair's long?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Have you thought about using a colour lighter than your own ?
    I use either a copper or a warm dark blond, on my light brown hair. The copper or the blond cover the grays and give a highlights effect. And I do not worry about finding a perfect match for my own brown.
    EDIT: as you are asking for the brand, it is: Superdrug colour effects, a wash-out colour

otnomart wrote: »
    Have you thought about using a colour lighter than your own ?
    I use either a copper or a warm dark blond, on my light brown hair. The copper or the blond cover the grays and give a highlights effect. And I do not worry about finding a perfect match for my own brown.
    EDIT: as you are asking for the brand, it is: Superdrug colour effects, a wash-out colour

Thanks I didn't know you could do that I thought it'd just go orange or something! I'll check it out! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

No worries, you won't go orange because you are not bleaching. The lighter colour will only colour the grays, and leave your own brown "as is".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Babooshka wrote: »
    Thanks for the speedy reply I'll take a look at those. Would you ever have to use two boxes. .. if your hair's long?

My hair is down to my waist but I rarely use two boxes. The hairdresser recommended only doing it about twice/ three times a year whereas I dye my hair every three/ four weeks. So i just dye my hair to the nape of my neck.Apparently the dye dries out the hair at the ends. My hair is a very similar colour to the dyes I use though.

My hair is down to my waist but I rarely use two boxes. The hairdresser recommended only doing it about twice/ three times a year whereas I dye my hair every three/ four weeks. So i just dye my hair to the nape of my neck.Apparently the dye dries out the hair at the ends. My hair is a very similar colour to the dyes I use though.

I get you. I generally used to put colour in regrowth at crown then use up the rest through hair length that's not grey for last ten minutes. It's been a few years though and I was just wondering if there's any new recommendations. The colour can get very dense and overdone looking so I'll steer clear of 2 boxes...now I'm beginning to remember!!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Would you not go to a salon service and get the proper stuff instead? Maybe if you knew your hairdresser well enough you could ask her what brand/colour she uses it and get that? Or ask them in salon services and they might be able match it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

I only do the roots every 4 weeks or so - that prevents the build-up of colour on the lengths. I use Nice & Easy natural dark blonde, which is actually a light brown on me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

idunno78 wrote: »
    Would you not go to a salon service and get the proper stuff instead? Maybe if you knew your hairdresser well enough you could ask her what brand/colour she uses it and get that? Or ask them in salon services and they might be able match it for you?

I'd recommend this too tbh. I've had such disasters with box colours. Wouldn't go near them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm a pretty dark brown, and usually would go for copper/iced chocolate tones. I'm trying to get rid of colour build up on the ends now, and I just want something to cover greys, as tone on tone as possible, got sick of the shades above. I found Nutrisse Garnier Creme Brown 5 Mocha, and it's the most natural home dye I've ever done, exact same colour as my hair, no gimmicks, and covers grey for a good few weeks. HTH

I had to Google what they are! I take it you don't have to be a hairdresser to buy from them? Maybe a silly question I know ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Babooshka wrote: »
    I had to Google what they are! I take it you don't have to be a hairdresser to buy from them? Maybe a silly question I know ðŸ˜

Sorry should have said! No it's not a silly question!! In Castlebar I was able to get stuff no problem so I'd imagine it's the same all over? They do ask have you a trade card but that's just to not pay VAT!

Sorry should have said! No it's not a silly question!! In Castlebar I was able to get stuff no problem so I'd imagine it's the same all over? They do ask have you a trade card but that's just to not pay VAT!

Thank you for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Sorry, but I must take issue with a few comments.
    SalonServices is meant to be for professionals only and they certainly shouldn't be selling professional hairdressing colours and strong chemicals to non pro's. The Trade card is to ensure that they only sell to the professionals who have to submit their certificates to get a Trade card. We still pay the VAT at the counter.

They also own branches of Sally's Beauty which will sell to the public. So you can buy non colouring items such as shampoo, tint brushes, nail files, hairdryers, straighteners, etc. They also sell Christmas gift packs of brand named goodies at this time of year.

Some Sally's stores also sell to the Trade but they're not meant to be selling any chemical colouring products to anyone without a hairdressing Trade card.

Whatever you do, do not assume that advice from the counter staff is correct. Most of them don't have a scooby do about hair colouring and I've overheard some shockingly dangerous advice being given by the odd staff member.

Re: box dyes. My sister's friend started using the 21 shampoo type box dye to cover grey and was applying it over her whole head each time every few weeks, rather than just doing the roots. Needless to say, her long hair started breaking off. If you only apply it to the root area, you should be fine.

If any of you live near to a training salon or college, why not look into getting your hair done there? The prices are much cheaper, they only use professional products and the students are supervised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I know my hairdresser uses Keune and I asked her one day what colour she puts in.
    I understand the above post is correct that you should be cautious when using salon strength dyes as some people have terrible reactions.
    But I did lots of research and found out the correct method of dyeing.
    I now buy the salon dyes from the wholesalers. They are much gentler on my hair and scalp and give better coverage.
    I still get my highlights done every few weeks at the hairdresser though.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

L'Oréal Excellence Creme dye is just brilliant I find. Comes with serum to apply before and a lovely conditioner for after. The dye itself is fairly mess free and very easy to apply. And yes apply to roots first and the rest of hair last 10 min.

I am naturally dark brown so I go for a 5 as all the others are far darker I find. I think I will be going to 6 in future as the lighter the less noticeable the greys are when coming back. And eventually work my way to lighter hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I can PM you :)

I can PM you :)

Please do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Personally I find at home dyes work perfectly well, just as good as a salon, id only suggest you condition your hair well, maybe invest in a good hair mask or oil treatment to keep your hair from getting damaged if you plan to dye your roots regularly. Unless youre getting highlights or your hair bleached theres no reason not to colour your own hair.
    Clairol do hair dye sets specifically for root touch ups as im sure many other brands do too. Theres also sprays you can buy to touch up roots in between dyes.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Toiletries/Hair/Colourants/Root-Touch-Up/?catalogId=19051&langId=-1&categoryId=218795&storeId=10552

http://www.boots.ie/en/Clairol-Nice-n-Easy-Root-Touch-Up-Medium-Golden-Brown-Shade-5-3_1447667/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭axcel

I think Nice and Easy is the best brand tnh. I tried a different brand lately because they didn't have my shade but it's after drying my hair out really badly. Also I think nice and easy is the only brand to give me a similar shine to a salon. I dye it fully every 9 weeks or so but do the roots in between. My hair is way past my shoulders and I use one box but should probably use more than 1 sometimes because my hair is so thick I'm sure I'm missing parts. I've tried a few different shades of the brunette colour, my fave at the moment is cool dark brown (I'm not good with the names)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I use L'Oréal preference in 5.3, and touch up with root touch up 5 medium brown. I only did my hair (roots) two weeks ago and I can see grey again! Have to use 2 preference when doing a full dye, and I also use a L'Oréal balyage kit too!

Advertisement