Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2005 TDI engine noise

• 26-11-2016 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭

Guys my OH Seat Leon has developed an odd rattle from the engine when revving between 1000rpm and 1100rpm.

It's a 2005 1.9TDI 105bhp.

It's driving fine, no hesitation etc or smoke. The noise is constant if I hold the revs at the above mentioned rpm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does it occur at the same revs in all gears?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Does it occur at the same revs in all gears?

Yep

Any recent work?

If it's happening even when stationary and in all gears when moving it suggests that it might be the actual valve train ........ or something like the belt hitting off the cam covers at that rev range.

Can you get someone to hold the revs at that pt while you try and pinpoint it under the bonnet?

I'll go back at it again tomorrow. Ended up in A&E after an asthma attack when I went about doing that this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I'll go back at it again tomorrow. Ended up in A&E after an asthma attack when I went about doing that this evening

Does it change depending on having clutch pressed or not?
    Flywheel can sound like an engine rattle when fecked.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Does it change depending on having clutch pressed or not?
    Flywheel can sound like an engine rattle when fecked.

Nope, clutch has no effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I had a similar problem on a passat 1.9tdi

It turned out to be a loose heat shield.....awkward to get to...down the exhaust manifold side...

Advertisement