Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snippets of wisdom (cliché and humour too)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Measure twice.

Cut once.

Applies to a lot of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Most people will just scroll past them on the assumption that they are repeats. Or at any rate, I did.

Either way there are too many to deal with, they would give me philosophical indigestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

This says it all,

A 1971 recording voiced by Les Crane, reciting a poem written by Max Ehrmann in 1927 - Desiderata.

Those of you old enough, might remember it as the reflection piece played in the 1980's by the Dublin pirate station, Sunshine Radio, every night at midnight, to mark the beginning of a new day of opportunity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD: In the future, please refrain from multiple cut-and-paste posts as you have done in this thread. Generally, the philosophy forum is for discussions, and not exhaustive quotes.

I was going to let what I saw as an unreasonable instruction slide, and simply desist, but I think it warrants a proper response first.

As you say, the forum is generally for discussion, but this thread has the OP requesting 'snippets of wisdom' (albeit with a preference for those from personal experience). So where the discussion around the snippets on the thread had died, I had hoped it might spark a little revival - and if not, it could be a handy resource of the requested material for those interested.

The snippets I have been posting have been done not as an info-dump, but as a daily thing, to make it something to dip into, as and when. They are not "multiple" or "exhaustive quotes"; just daily snippets. Apologies if this sounds pedantic, but I think it's a fair point. Perhaps you had meant to say "exhaustively quoting", but that's still a little unfair: with a lively thread, they would have just been one among many; from just me however, it simply stands out.

So, in the context outlined, it sounds unreasonable to instruct someone not to post about something requested in the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

MOD: Please see charter. Discussions about moderation should be made first by PMing the moderator. In the above case, Black Swan.

Post edited by Fathom on

Apologies - I wasn't aware of the protocol.

(I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't understand 'character' when it showed up, as I like doing complex crosswords 🙄😄)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Advertisement