Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me 3ds for 5 year old

• 26-11-2016 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭

Cheapest place to buy.
    Essential games for a kid?
    She wants pokemon, is that too advanced for a 5 year old?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

Cheapest place to buy.
    Essential games for a kid?
    She wants pokemon, is that too advanced for a 5 year old?

Thanks.

No. Pokemon is basically for children. Kind of depends on what she likes. A lot of the games they have would be for kids but adults can get great fun as well. I personally love Pokemon, but you can't go wrong with Mario and Mario Kart. Luigi's Mansion is hilarious. They're bringing out Mario Maker next year December 2nd on 3DS which should be a great one. Basically take a look in any GameStop you'll see shelves of 3DS games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

New Super Mario Bros 2 is great, Yoshis Island, Epic Mickey, Pilot Wings, Nintendogs and Cats, Lego Star Wars: Force Awakens.... Tons of great games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

How does this compare to the 2DS?

I just noticed it's half the price and for a 5 year old...

Opinions?

How does this compare to the 2DS?

I just noticed it's half the price and for a 5 year old...

Opinions?

The 2DS is grand for younger kids. The main difference is you can't use 3D and it doesn't fold. Supposed to be hardier as well. Would I buy it for a 5 year old? Defiantly.

Edups2.0 wrote: »
    The 2DS is grand for younger kids. The main difference is you can't use 3D and it doesn't fold. Supposed to be hardier as well. Would I buy it for a 5 year old? Defiantly.

Argos have the 2DS with Mario brothers 2 for €99.99

If she's half as excited about that as I was getting my SNES with SMW...she'll explode.

Is the 3D an essential? ...would it be ok for Mario?

• Advertisement

Argos have the 2DS with Mario brothers 2 for €99.99

If she's half as excited about that as I was getting my SNES with SMW...she'll explode.

Is the 3D an essential? ...would it be ok for Mario?

3D is in all fairness a bit rubbish. I always have it turned off cos it wrecks my head. Also it's not recommended for children under 7 anyway so!

Edups2.0 wrote: »
    3D is in all fairness a bit rubbish. I always have it turned off cos it wrecks my head. Also it's not recommended for children under 7 anyway so!

Your advice has been brilliant. Thank you.

Your advice has been brilliant. Thank you.

Glad I could help. :) defiantly the biggest draw about the 2DS for young kids is there's no hinges to break!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you do go for a 3DS the 3D function can be turned off, and locked via a PIN number.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If you do go for a 3DS the 3D function can be turned off, and locked via a PIN number.

The hinges can't be made safe! Plus why go for 3DS at 200 when you won't use 3D anyway. I'd have bought 2DS but I wanted the Pikachu 3DS XL and then shortly after the New 3DS XL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The 3D on the New versions is amazing. I use it all the time.

Pac1Man wrote: »

Will a 5 year old notice...

Pac1Man wrote: »

I still don't find it any good. Maybe it's just my eyes. They are a bit fooked.

A 5 year old isn't meant to use it to begin with!
    But like CiderMan said, you can disable 3D. But that leads to other things like will she still use it in 2 years? And if so, would it be more worth it to pay 99.99 now, and if she wants a 3DS in the future buy that later. Since it's a child what I'd be looking at is do her friends have 3DS, because if they do that's what I'd buy.

And if she's asked for a 3DS from Santa then defiantly buy that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

No, probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Probably not, but it might damage her eyes according to Nintendo. My ten year old cousin didn't seem particularly bothered about not having 3D on his 2DS when I was talking to him about it recently.

The 3D is a bonus if you like it, but since it can be turned off developers can't make it a critical requirement in a game. By the time your kid's interested in that sort of thing, Nintendo will have moved on from the 3/2DS (it was released 2011).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I picked up the 2DS bundle with Yokai watch and Pokemon Sun for Christmas for the 7 year old. Couldn't justify paying 3DS prices when he won't be using 3D, the 2DS feels sturdy enough in the hand too. Might try pick up a case/sleeve for it though.

Whichever one you decide to go for don't forget to turn it on and run any system updates before Christmas day itself. Don't think it would stop you playing games not being up to date, but if you try to go onto the e-shop it asks you to update.

Just on your question about Pokemon being too advanced for a 5 year old - the core gameplay wouldn't be but there's usually a bit of text on screen to read so she might need help with that to understand what is being said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The 2 new Pokémon games require a TONNE of reading. Cut scene, cut scene, cut scene.
    At 5, trying to "blend" your way through a game that comprises 95% "tricky words" is going to be torture. If they're in Senior Infants and one of the better readers in the class though, you're probably ok. Just be prepared to help them out at the start. Oh, and use Mystery Gift - Gift from the Internet to get them a Munchlax to help them start their team :D

If you're willing to sit with them and get them started - and I mean really get them started, so give over a couple of hours to it! - Animal Crossing is a great option. There's a lot to read in it, but it becomes mostly optional once they have all the tools. But as a responsible parent, and possibly the mayor of "Coolville", you need to get them those tools, teach them how to use them and always make sure that when they start up the game the shops will be open and that when they close it down they save. My 5 year old has been playing off and on for a year, her house is ****e compared to my glorious mansion but she has a great time as long as I set her up and am occasionally available for "Daddy, what does this say"s.

Can't go wrong with Mario, even if all they do is play the intro movie over and over! MarioKart is also a good option. Any Kirby games are very gentle and easy to play, kind of what Mario games would be like if he wasn't such an unforgiving prick. The eShop game "Rising Board" was very popular with my 5 year old from back when she was 3 1/2. It's cheap as chips and if more than one child is sharing your go is over in about 3-12 seconds 'cause you don't have awesome video game skillz like Daddy. They're earned, not inherited!

The Kirby series is the perfect start to a Nintendo gaming life, as Banjo says, it's as gentle as it comes, plus they look beautiful too.
    Not only do you have the two current games on the 3DS, which are outstanding, but the DS also hosts a series of knockout games too, none better than Kirby Super Star Ultra, a compilation of Kirby games that will also run on the 3DS. Here's one on Ebay link
    Yoshi's Woolly World is coming to the 3DS as well, and that comes with a chill out mode that is very easy to play.
    New Super Mario World 2 is also on the 3DS and is a pretty simple game to play, with the challenge being more in the possibly high scores.

Ah jaysus lads I happily played Pokemon when I was 5. I couldn't have cared less about anything but battling the Pokemon, if the child can't read the story parts what does it matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Just a warning about the 3D from Nintendo!

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-3DS-2DS/FAQ/Safety/For-which-age-ranges-is-the-Nintendo-3DS-system-recommended-/For-which-age-ranges-is-the-Nintendo-3DS-system-recommended--244139.html
    People of any age can use and enjoy the Nintendo 3DS system and Nintendo 3DS software.

However, the use of the 3D feature by children aged six and under may cause vision damage.

Therefore it is recommended that:

Only children over the age of six should use the system in 3D mode.
    If children aged six and under have access to the system, parents or legal guardians should restrict the display of 3D images using the Parental Controls feature.

3D mode is easily locked away behind a pin code, or just buy them a non-3D 2DS instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Apparently that warning is just to cover them, unless there's a pre-existing condition that's going to come out anyway at some point the 3D effect has no affect on healthy eyes.

Edups : If you can't read on Moon / Sun, you will be wondering why the game isn't doing anything. I was playing a solid hour lat night starting up Moon and I'm still slogging through tutorial stuff. It's not a simple "Hi son. Off to see the world? Well don't let me stop you!" intro like the Gen 1-5 games! My now-8 year old started off on Heart Gold a few years ago, and was able to do fine once I got them started and explained the game but I think you have to finish the first island in Moon/Sun before the game lets you take responsibility for yourself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Banjo wrote: »
    her house is ****e compared to my glorious mansion

Love the honesty (kept to yourself I hope?!).

Banjo: How you getting on with Animal Crossing?

Banjo Jnr: Great! It's sooo much fun. Check out what I've done with my house! :)

Banjo: Jesus. That's ****e! Check out my glorious mansion. :cool:

Banjo Jnr: :(

:pac:

Advertisement