Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged for upgrade that was supposed to be free

Options
  • 26-11-2016 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You have an e-mail confirming that the phone handset was going to be 'free', did you offer to forward that to the 'lovely lady' you were talking to?

BTW, subsidised ('free') phones are terrible value for money, you should be paying far less per month and buying your own handset. Bad and all as Apple iPhones are in terms of value for money, they're even worse when you take one as part of a deal from one of the networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

coylemj wrote: »
    You have an e-mail confirming that the phone handset was going to be 'free', did you offer to forward that to the 'lovely lady' you were talking to?

BTW, subsidised ('free') phones are terrible value for money, you should be paying far less per month and buying your own handset. Bad and all as Apple iPhones are in terms of value for money, they're even worse when you take one as part of a deal from one of the networks.

It wasn't an iPhone, not that it matters! I told her that I had checked and double checked in the chat that the handset was free but she said the outcome would still be the same. I didn't mention the email as I wanted to check it first, which I did and will have a copy in front of me for when they call back. If they call back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm pretty sure the phone is free and you've misunderstood them(email backs that up), thats a security deposit/credit. The networks have begun charging a few months bills in advance to counteract all the fraud/theft that goes on (Families have taken out 3x€650 iphones and disappeared).

At say €50/mo you basically get your last 4 months "free" in that the bill is paid up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

ED E wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the phone is free and you've misunderstood them(email backs that up), thats a security deposit/credit. The networks have begun charging a few months bills in advance to counteract all the fraud/theft that goes on (Families have taken out 3x€650 iphones and disappeared).

At say €50/mo you basically get your last 4 months "free" in that the bill is paid up.

The lady said on the phone that the charge was for the handset, she never said anything about months in advance or anything

Advertisement