Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid €40 deposit to Hotel -Cannot go now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

That was an assholish thing to do. I really hope you have not left negative feedback.

People like you are why I never read one or two star reviews of places, because the majority are written by people like you.

That's exactly why I DO read them. The entertainment value of from the reviewers self entitlement!!

OP as others have said a deposit is to hold the room, you cancelled outside the hotels allowable window, you lost the deposit. Simple, fair and standard practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

I asked hotel for a date in the future and they strictly refused . If they had to at least offer a compromise ,like if the room was filled on the night in question , either a percentage of deposit refunded etc .
    But there was strictly no compromise , so the contract was fully in favour of the hotel .

Example . If I put a €40 deposit on an Xbox for example and I decide not to go ahead and buy . If the retailer keep my deposit and sell Xbox for original price then he makes €40 handy profit .

For me this is similar ,if the hotel filled the room and they kept my deposit its certainly win-win for them .

But they offered no compromise whatsoever

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

2forjoy wrote: »
    I asked hotel for a date in the future and they strictly refused . If they had to at least offer a compromise ,like if the room was filled on the night in question , either a percentage of deposit refunded etc .
    But there was strictly no compromise , so the contract was fully in favour of the hotel .

Example . If I put a €40 deposit on an Xbox for example and I decide not to go ahead and buy . If the retailer keep my deposit and sell Xbox for original price then he makes €40 handy profit .

For me this is similar ,if the hotel filled the room and they kept my deposit its certainly win-win for them .

Its only a comparable scenario if the retailer had 24 hours to sell the Xbox and was quite likely to have nobody enquiring about it in that period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The contract is fair on both sides, you reserved the room by paying a deposit, if you turned up only to find that they had given your room to someone else at a higher price, could they complain that the contract was unfairly in your favour preventing them from selling the room at a higher profit? No they could not. You reserved the room, they provided it, you cancelled it at short notice.

If they allowed you to use your deposit for another night then they would have provided the service to you twice but only got paid once. Again, the service was provided, you just didn't avail of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Post the booking T and C please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I asked hotel for a date in the future and they strictly refused .

And what use is that to the hotel?

Instead of getting paid for their room the next night and then being able to sell it again in the future, they will have an empty room the next night they haven't been paid for and a booking in the future they might get paid for.

It isn't a compromise if they are the only ones losing out. You know what would be a good compromise? Instead of charging you for the room you booked they only charge you the smaller deposit amount, that sounds like a very fair compromise to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think most people would ignore that negative feedback. You don't seem to want to listen to reason here.
    It is not even negative feedback though, it is just feedback -which as you say most will not be bothered by.

The poster did not suggest they will be lying in the feedback, but will be just stating what happened.
    For all the reasons I stated above
    I told them would leave them negative feedback and they said that was okay .

The hotel would not be too bothered if the truth was reported. This information is probably already in the T&Cs. If they are planning on leaving 1 star with no info as to why then I would certainly have an issue though.

I remember seeing some Jaws boxset get 1 star and in the review it was since the person liked sharks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

The hotel plans its staff based on number of rooms booked.

In some cases a hotel will say they are booked out even though half the rooms are not taken. - They simply don't have the staff rostered.

Its a balancing act. If someone cancels, they can't just cut a couple of hours off staff rosters.

If you are so peeved, maybe ask the estate of the dead person to pay - its their funeral that has caused this, not the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Had to go to a funeral but your only concern it seems is your 40 euros!

Says alot about you op.

I'd like to stay in this hotel after the way they handled you, no nonsense people it seems. Please post their details so I can book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

More and more business owners are hitting back at this type of customer!

"Give me what I want or I'll leave you a negative review"

No time for this type of customer.

Glad they said" go on so"

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    It is not even negative feedback though, it is just feedback -which as you say most will not be bothered by.

The poster did not suggest they will be lying in the feedback, but will be just stating what happened.

Its a nice sentiment, but I suspect everybody knows what the OP's intentions will be regarding feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Its a nice sentiment, but I suspect everybody knows what the OP's intentions will be regarding feedback.

Mist people can see through the bull****..as someone else said, it can be an entertaining read...to see what people think should work in their favour

Post the booking T and C please.

Cancellation policy
    You may cancel free of charge until 2 days before arrival. You will be charged the first night if you cancel in the 2 days before arrival.
    Any cancellation or modification fees are determined by the property. You will pay any additional costs to the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Cancellation policy
    You may cancel free of charge until 2 days before arrival. You will be charged the first night if you cancel in the 2 days before arrival.
    Any cancellation or modification fees are determined by the property. You will pay any additional costs to the property.

sunds like you got off light so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Melendez wrote: »
    It is hard to see why this thread exists.

Whingers be whinging

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AgaArts

kbannon wrote:
    Its only a comparable scenario if the retailer had 24 hours to sell the Xbox and was quite likely to have nobody enquiring about it in that period.

Not forgetting to mention that the customer who was turned away as a result of being unable to buy the Xbox going to a different shop and becoming a future customer of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭GBX

So you quote the cancellation policy - which is plain and simple - yet you still feel aggrieved. Suck it up OP and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Because some people have the most incredible sense of self entitlement.

OP, it's €40, hardly going to break the bank and the hotel are well within their rights to keep it. That's how a deposit works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AgaArts

That's how a deposit works.

Funny thing is, if the hotel decided to call the OP 24 hours before their arrival (assuming they planned to stay) and cancel their room, stating they've given it to someone else, the op would proclaim 'but I paid a deposit!'. Deposits are a two way street.

It's also the reason why people need to be careful when reading 1-2 star reviews, always worth checking out what other type of reviews the submitter left. 'There were no English channels' - you're in a hotel. In Spain. Why should there be English channels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

AgaArts wrote: »
    Funny thing is, if the hotel decided to call the OP 24 hours before their arrival (assuming they planned to stay) and cancel their room, stating they've given it to someone else, the op would proclaim 'but I paid a deposit!'. Deposits are a two way street.

It's also the reason why people need to be careful when reading 1-2 star reviews, always worth checking out what other type of reviews the submitter left. 'There were no English channels' - you're in a hotel. In Spain. Why should there be English channels.

Or the shower was only luke warm. In Turkey, In August, when its 40 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ideb

Op, if you have a travel insurance policy you MAY be able to claim back any loss. It would depend on the terms of your policy. Some people take out annual travel policies and never think to use them for domestic travel, but sometimes domestic travel will be covered. It would most likely also depend on the OPs relationship to the deceased. It would usually need to be a close relative for insurance to cover it.

Outside of that, I agree with other posters - You have no comeback with the hotel. You pay a deposit to secure the hotel at a particular price. To book a hotel with "free cancellation" terms would usually be dearer than one where you are paying a deposit/full price straight away. So for instance - I book a hotel today for a night in January and it will cost €100 with "free Cancellation" up to 24 hours before arrival (many allow up to day of arrival!!). You book the same hotel, same night, at a cost of €80, with a €20 deposit and with a term stating that if you cancel within 24 hours of arrival you will pay the full amount.

If we both take up our booking I am paying more than you for the room. However, I have paid the €20 extra to protect me from having to pay the full amount (€80) if I need to cancel with less than 24 hours notice. If I thought that the hotel would likely refund a €20 deposit for the cheaper room price (€80) if I didn't take up the booking then why would I agree to pay €100?

Using the above example, if both of us cancel our booking less than 24 hours before due arrival date, then you only lose €80 whereas I lose €100.

I understand the terms and conditions .I understand what I was asking is outside the terms and conditions .
    The easiest thing in the world to say is suck it up and move on .

I paid €40 and got nothing . A business got €40 and did nothing .

There can be goodwill between businesses and consumers . There is a thing called compassionate leave of absence .

I was willing to stay on another date and pay for services . This is not going to happen now .
    I am at loss of €40 and hotel could have still sold the room and therefore received a bonus of €40 . Who knows .

Its not about whinging , it was about a compromise to suit both parties . A hotel decides you have broken the terms and conditions ,Goodbye , is not a fair decision in my opinion .
    And by the way booking.com were not happy with the attitude of the place when they heard the decision .

Next time one of you posters buy something and receive nothing I will read the thread with a smile :)

Its not about whinging , it was about a compromise to suit both parties

They did compromise, by the terms and conditions you agreed to they could have billed you the full cost of the room, instead they only billed you the deposit amount. You have a warped definition of the word compromise if you can't see that.

Fact is, they have done little wrong and it is all about whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I understand the terms and conditions
    You don't
    Its not about whinging

It is

As has been pointed out to you the hotel had EVERY right to charge you the full night's cost. Instead of whinging about how unfair they have been to you, you should be thanking them

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

. A hotel decides you have broken the terms and conditions ,Goodbye , is not a fair decision in my opinion .

But you did.

I understand the terms and conditions .I understand what I was asking is outside the terms and conditions .

There can be goodwill between businesses and consumers . There is a thing called compassionate leave of absence .

I was willing to stay on another date and pay for services . This is not going to happen now .
    I am at loss of €40 and hotel could have still sold the room and therefore received a bonus of €40 . Who knows .

Its not about whinging , it was about a compromise to suit both parties . A hotel decides you have broken the terms and conditions ,Goodbye , is not a fair decision in my opinion .
    And by the way booking.com were not happy with the attitude of the place when they heard the decision .

Next time one of you posters buy something and receive nothing I will read the thread with a smile :)

I'm guessing your quite young as you come across an an inexperienced spoilt nob.

Please post the name of the hotel as I would like to give them some business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Morgans

You don't seem to understand that if the hotel charged you for a full night and you then came on here claiming how it was unfair, you would still be wrong.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No you don't because you still feel hard done by. You agreed to the T&Cs when booking the room. You broke the contract. They could have stung you for the full amount but didn't. However you still come on here whinging about how they were in the wrong when clearly you should not be allowed handle money because you don't seem to have the maturity to use it.
    Yes you did gey something so stop making things up.
    You were allocated a room as per your request. You then decided at short notice to cancel this. The hotel were unlikely to sell that room given the short notice, therefore being out of pocket.
    You have even quoted their T&Cs which show that they could have taken the full room price but were generous enough not to.
    ...and what? Should you be entitled to use that excuse for anything in order to shirk your responsibilities? Grow up FFS!

The hotel are possibly better off not having an immature guest such as yourself staying there so they probably dodged a bullet on this one!

Compromise to suit both parties? You wanted to suit yourself so stop making things up.
    Your opinion is on this occasion is completely wrong. You broke the arrangement at short notice and wanted them to be at a loss. It didn't work out your way so you thought you would come here and get sympathy whereas in fact tou got none and rightfully so.
    You have come across as an immature self entitled numpty! Now face reality, you are not entitled to the deposit back, you are not entitled to feel hard done by and you are not entitled to feel that the hotel is profiteering.
    Move on FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zzantara

Ok - I've enough of this whinger €40 means so much to him, to think that there are pages and pages of replies beats all logic.
    Please forward your address to 40 of us that are p****ed of with your moaning we will send you a €1 each , hopefully that will end this for once and for all !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement