Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid €40 deposit to Hotel -Cannot go now

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

I hope they try to charge the op's card for the night rate as they are perfectly entitled too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

brembo26 wrote: »
    I hope they try to charge the op's card for the night rate as they are perfectly entitled too:D

That's just nonsense. The hotel has already declared what deposit/loss is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

That's just nonsense. The hotel has already declared what deposit/loss is concerned.

It would just make this thread better in every way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

2forjoy wrote: »

I paid €40 and got nothing . A business got €40 and did nothing .

)

First off revenue took 9% vat.

Second if the rest was declared as profit they would have to pay an additional 12.5% corporation tax on the profit.

In reality they had to pay an employee to answer your calls, process your cancellation and maybe turn on the heat in your room as they await your arrival.

There will also be credit card fees and I'd imagine booking.com still take their % commission on the €40.

So no, the business did not get €40 for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

2forjoy wrote: »

I paid €40 and got nothing . A business got €40 and did nothing . :)

The business still had to pay the staff they had rostered for that night.

I'll have a wild guess that you have no experience of managing a business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I don't know about booking.com but I briefly worked for a similar company years ago. When people booked on the company's site, some or all of the small deposit they paid went towards the website's commission. If you used a booking site, you DID get a service - booking.com provided their site with all the comparisons, they made the deal/transaction for you, confirmed it with the hotel and guaranteed you a little security (as, if the hotel cancelled it, the booking site would help you). You didn't keep the booking, but you did get the service. So whatever part of your €40 went to the site covered that.

But even without the booking site, the room was kept for you. The hotel couldn't reserve it to anyone else while you had it booked and because you cancelled so late, they probably couldn't re-sell it unless they got a walk-in. Why should they lose money you signed a contract to pay?

I don't understand how you can post the very clear Ts and Cs on one hand and complain that you were hard done by on the other. Yeah, no-one likes to lose money (esp due to a funeral), but the hotel aren't in the wrong here, OP.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

T&Cs couldn't be clearer, yet you are still whining about it being unfair. Booking.com also make it quite clear the time lines for being able to cancel for free, so I doubt they would have any sympathy, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I can't be the only one who immediately laughed at the thread title? Sorry for your loss OP but why else did you think you were paying the deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Could have handled it better rather than threatening to leave negative feedback, that IMO is where you lost your case.

I had something similar when my missus's father passed away, I had left a similar sized deposit and enquired about changing the dates. At first they told me no so I politely asked if I could just speak to a manager to try to reschedule as the hotel itself had a good few weddings scheduled for the next few weekends so rooms would be scarce. After about fifteen minutes of speaking to the manager like a reasonable human being she gave me what I would consider an extremely generous compromise - she would book me in for a date three weeks later but the catch was if I cancelled, I would be charged in full for two cancellations.

So fast forward three weeks we arrive at the hotel, the manager greets us and tells us she upgraded us to a lovely suite room - without any extra costs (the room was enormous, absolutely beautiful with a fantastic view) and in the room was a lovely bouquet of flowers with a card expressing her condolences.

It had turned out someone she actually knew had passed away at the same time as my missus's father and she saw his obituary on rip.ie and took it upon herself to make such a wonderful gesture.

I don't know exactly how your phone call went down but if it is anything like your posts in here then tough luck they lost a room but compromised to not charge you full price.

And sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭The Draugan

with only giving 24 hours notice , the hotel are probably well within there rights to keep your deposit . They could have returned it as a gesture of good will but absolutely no legal obligation for them to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

conacks infracted for paying to heed attention to mod warning about personal digs.

OP - I am going to close this tread as I'm not sure that anything productive is being said after 7 pages. Should you wish to post an update, PM me or L1011 and we will reopen for you.

dduara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement