Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank You Gift for Surgeon

Options
  • 27-11-2016 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

I recently had an operation and am very happy with the care I received from my surgeon and would like to show my appreciation in some way. As I have health insurance, I was a private patient. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a suitable gift for my surgeon? Would a thank you card and a sum of money suffice? If so, how much should I give?

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

operation1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

surely a card would be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 27 guitargirl_91

Yeah I guess it's the thought that counts 😅 Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,310 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In my experience surgeons do pretty well for themselves financially, so I wouldn't be inclined to give money as a gift. I think a card would be enough, but if you really wanted to give a gift maybe a good bottle of wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

A card with a nice message means a lot. There's no need for cash (and it's a bit impersonal) but a decent pen would be well received!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My heart surgeon got about 31/2 k for my surgery. Not bad for a couple of hours work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

A note/card/message with personal sentiments would suffice. Just say what you want to say to him/her. A 'present' is not appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Had the same dilema a few times looking to say thanks after my dads op. A card and some nice words are always great, if you did really want to give someone maybe drop in a box of chocolates or cakes or something, I know they love this as they are always on the go or send in a voucher for a place close by for lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

My heart surgeon got about 31/2 k for my surgery. Not bad for a couple of hours work.

Who got the better deal - you or the surgeon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

You also paid for the years of studying and training, not just for the few hours he spent with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You also paid for the years of studying and training, not just for the few hours he spent with you.

I think you'll find that the state (the tax payer) paid for the majority of the training.

I never understand the fawning over highly paid professionals for doing their jobs.

Like people giving their solicitors gifts for doing their well paid job. I just don't get it. In most businesses, it would be the client getting the gift, not the provider.

OP, I think a nicely worded card might be well appreciated.
    Maybe the ward staff would appreciate something too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I think you'll find that the state (the tax payer) paid for the majority of the training.
    So he also paid for that, as I said :)

These are highly skilled people. Heart surgeons aren't splashing on a bit of paint or filling a pothole. It's costly to train and keep them here.

I agree that once you've paid you bill, there's no need to provide anything extra other than the card if you wish. Myself and my wife did that after our first child, and provided a large tin of sweets for the nurses to share at their station.

I never understand the fawning over highly paid professionals for doing their jobs.

I wouldn't call it fawning, but if someone's job is potentially saving or prolonging your life, then a special level of appreciation is natural enough.

Nurses are often similarly elevated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

A card is more than enough and would be appreciated.

Believe me, it'd be nothing like that by the time all the bills are paid.

Like people giving their solicitors gifts for doing their well paid job. I just don't get it. In most businesses, it would be the client getting the gift, not the provider.

OP, I think a nicely worded card might be well appreciated.
    Maybe the ward staff would appreciate something too?

Very very few people are capable of performing open heart surgery. It takes a sacrifice of unbelievable proportions to even be in the position to apply for a cardiothoracic job. I'm not a surgeon, but a few of my friends are trainees. What they go through is inhumane. Giving someone a card for a job well done is a nice gesture. Nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What about the nurses and other staff who did the donkey-work for him?

Nurses very regularly get thank you cards. In fact far more often than doctors. The wards are full of them pinned up on the walls. Nobody would begrudge them that. They do a difficult job in tough conditions.

Believe me, the surgeon would have been a junior doing all manner of donkey work for many many years in terrible conditions being paid around €600 a week. Although it's his job, someone cracking you open, stopping your heart and putting you back together again is a slightly different relationship to writing your will. He's no hero, but sometimes a card is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would send the card and maybe make a donation to a charity on his behalf.

It's a bit insulting to describe the work cardiac nurses do as 'donkey work'.

Also, I wouldn't be assuming that the surgeon was a 'him'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A card is more than enough and would be appreciated.

Believe me, it'd be nothing like that by the time all the bills are paid.

Very very few people are capable of performing open heart surgery. It takes a sacrifice of unbelievable proportions to even be in the position to apply for a cardiothoracic job. I'm not a surgeon, but a few of my friends are trainees. What they go through is inhumane. Giving someone a card for a job well done is a nice gesture. Nothing more.

Hence, I suggested that a card would be appreciated.

I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I have a wonderful consultant , she has regularly gone above and beyond on my behalf. Yes, she is well paid, but the point is that I like to acknowledge the extras. I have given her handmade chocolates, a bottle of Baileys and a spa voucher down the years. More importantly, I have written genuine sentiment in a thank you card.

Advertisement