Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor for Small Claims Court - Limerick

• 27-11-2016 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Would anyone on here know of any Solicitors in the Limerick area that deal with matters in the Small Claims Court?

I am aware most big firms wont deal with it but maybe there is one or two out there that I could go to and talk to at least?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think you need/require a solicitor for the small claims court.

See here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't think you need/require a solicitor for the small claims court.

See here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

Vast majority of times you wont, but I have a feeling the other side may engage one....just want to be prepared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Vast majority of times you wont, but I have a feeling the other side may engage one....just want to be prepared.

Max. payout is €2k.

Won't take a solicitor long to reach €1K in fees.

Might not be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Gator88

The whole idea of the small claims court is no solicitors. I've spent a few days in small claims court in Dublin and have never seen a solicitor.
    When you get called to the scc everyone gets the same appointment. 10:30 I think. You then wait your turn. It could be 4pm before you are heard. You might have to go back for a second visit. If a solicitor agreed to go with you they would have to charge you for the whole day as they would have to be available for the whole day.
    I'm betting you'd pay more to the solicitor than you would win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Soulcrew09 wrote: »

But that's the whole point of the small claims court. I'd be very surprised if any solicitor would take on a small claims case unless they got a large retainer fee up front from their client which would be self defeating given the maximum payout from the small claims court is 2k. Just sounds to me like an idle threat from someone hoping you drop it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You might get a young solicitor who will do it to help you out if you're really bricking it or have no money etc.

Don't take the piss though, if you can pay, then pay.

Contact FLAC.

Advertisement