Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FindmyPast - cancelling subscription

Options
  • 27-11-2016 2:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

My subscription is coming to an end shortly. Does it just end or do I have to cancel it? I can't see a cancel icon anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Boscod

It will probably auto renew.
    To switch off, go to My Account - Personal Details, scroll to bottom of page and untick the 'Auto-renew my subscription' box.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Also remove your card details if they are saved in there.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Boscod wrote: »
    It will probably auto renew.
    To switch off, go to My Account - Personal Details, scroll to bottom of page and untick the 'Auto-renew my subscription' box.

Thanks. Its already unticked. I never tick that box. So it should just come to an end on the specified date I hope.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I've emailed them a couple of times after I had inadvertently let it auto-renew and they were happy to cancel it.
    On one occasion they offered me three months for the price of one if I preferred.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    I've emailed them a couple of times after I had inadvertently let it auto-renew and they were happy to cancel it.
    On one occasion they offered me three months for the price of one if I preferred.

Interesting, nice to know!

• Advertisement

Ancestry not so good on that front. I thought I cancelled mine recently but the button must not have depressed, and I was billed. Should have noticed I didn't get a confirmation email but anyway, they didn't give a stuff when I emailed and wouldn't refund. Customer service very poor by comparison.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Ancestry not so good on that front. I thought I cancelled mine recently but the button must not have depressed, and I was billed. Should have noticed I didn't get a conformation email but anyway, they didn't give a stuff when I emailed and wouldn't refund. Customer service very poor by comparison.

Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

Findmyfast gave me 3 months free sub recently when I tried to cancel and couldn't because I was using the wrong email address. Worth ringing them and speak to a customer service agent. They may offer you something freeee to keep your custom :D

I'm not sure what to do now, go back to Ancestry or just take a month on and off for each one. Or maybe just stick with old Familysearch and Irishgenealogy.ie, they are pretty brilliantly free too!

I'd wait and see what xmas offers they both have....

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'd wait and see what xmas offers they both have....

Think that's what I will do. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

For what it's worth, I've had subscriptions expire multiple times with both FMP and Ancestry and never had an issue. As long as the right boxes are ticked or unticked, you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nikonuser

Another question for this topic.
    If I elect to cancel my FMP will I lose all my saved documents & access to any personal files I have saved fro individual persons?
    J

One of the things I like about Find My Past having viewed any document once while my sub is in place I can then view that document even after my sub has lapsed.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy, thanks for that, it would be pity to have to download all the images of documents saved in an individual's 'Media' section.
    Cheers,
    Jimmie

With Ancestry if your sub lapses you can't view any documents saved to your tree.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I suppose it would be sensible to save a copy of all documents on a separate drive, just in case FMP change their policy?

A general question: how do people on this forum save their documents, certificates & records?
    J

Hermy wrote: »
    With Ancestry if your sub lapses you can't view any documents saved to your tree.

I just checked my Ancestry trees. I don't have a sub at the moment but I can still view a WWI Medal Roll Index Card that I saved to one person, I can also see photos I added. I haven't added any bmd records though so can't comment on those.

I should have said you can't see most documents attached to an individual sourced from Ancestry.
    I would assume that any documents and photos you add yourself will remain available to you regardless of your sub.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for that.
    J

• Advertisement

I always download them for this reason - rarely bother to attach to people in the tree. Same with rootsireland - screengrab because you cannot view previously purchased if your sub is not current. Don't even have my tree on FMP, so just download everything there.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sounds like I just found a project for the holiday season :(
    Thanks for the advice.
    Jimmie

nikonuser wrote: »
    Sounds like I just found a project for the holiday season :(
    Thanks for the advice.
    Jimmie

For the rest of your life methinks!!! :D

Thread gone totally off topic now - split to new one.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement