Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm sick to death of being taxed to death !

• 27-11-2016 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

I got a pay rise last month of 2000 but after tax I end up getting a net 960. I also get a Christmas bonus from my employer of 1000 but I will only get 460 net often tax. As we live in the country we have two cars but both are pre 2008 so it costs me a 1000 in tax per year.

Yet I am entitled to absolutely nothing from our government. I have to pay 60 every time I want to see a doctor and queue up behind the genuine and not so genuine people who have medical cards. I watch as all those people who are on the dole yet still manage to have a 50" lcd tv and jet off on a big holiday every year. You wonder how they do it. I also watch as TDs claim expenses for travelling to work in the Dail yet I have try tax, insure, fuel, pay for and upkeep two cars that are essential for us to go to work but we can't claim expenses off our tax bill for it. Why ?

Why is it that I seem to work my boll*x off but yet I have nothing. The middle working class pay too much tax and being honest a political party needs to be formed to look after our needs and not the needs of the many wasters in this country. A Donald Trump like figure if you like ( maybe Michael O Leary). Imagine a country where if you work hard you get rewarded and live a decent lifestyle where you might even have a few quid in your pocket.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I really want to hate your post and dissect it as being undemocratic but I just can't... I feel just like you at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The taxes are so high to pay for the entitled few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

The silent majority are starting to be not so silent. I am self employed and purposely cap my income and turn down work when I hit a certain € amount as pains me to work beyond that and give so much of it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,615 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The taxes are so high to pay for the entitled few.

The bulk pays for welfare, health amd education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I got a pay rise last month of 2000 but after tax I end up getting a net 960. I also get a Christmas bonus from my employer of 1000 but I will only get 460 net often tax. As we live in the country we have two cars but both are pre 2008 so it costs me a 1000 in tax per year.

Yet I am entitled to absolutely nothing from our government. I have to pay 60 every time I want to see a doctor and queue up behind the genuine and not so genuine people who have medical cards. I watch as all those people who are on the dole yet still manage to have a 50" lcd tv and jet off on a big holiday every year. You wonder how they do it. I also watch as TDs claim expenses for travelling to work in the Dail yet I have try tax, insure, fuel, pay for and upkeep two cars that are essential for us to go to work but we can't claim expenses off our tax bill for it. Why ?

Why is it that I seem to work my boll*x off but yet I have nothing. The middle working class pay too much tax and being honest a political party needs to be formed to look after our needs and not the needs of the many wasters in this country. A Donald Trump like figure if you like ( maybe Michael O Leary). Imagine a country where if you work hard you get rewarded and live a decent lifestyle where you might even have a few quid in your pocket.

You got a PAY RISE of €24K a year and you're unhappy:(. Do you realise that that there are thousands and thousands of employees working for €24000 and all you can do is complain:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You got a PAY RISE of €24K a year and you're unhappy . Do you realise that that there are thousands and thousands of employees working for €24000 and all you can do is complain .

I'm pretty sure the total pay rise was 2 grand. Not 2 grand a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You got a PAY RISE of €24K a year and you're unhappy:(. Do you realise that that there are thousands and thousands of employees working for €24000 and all you can do is complain:rolleyes:.

And this right here is the reason why!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Paddy Porter

For my part I wonder why the State forgoes so much in VAT to support the hospitality industry who rip off clients at every opportunity ..reference the Garth Brooks concerts hotel prices...the gouging around Rugby Internationals and the wait till you see accommodation prices if we are successful in hosting the Rugby World Cup.

Very hard to stop this cynical gouging ...but why should taxpayers fund a very substantial VAT reduction.??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

The O.P wrote:
    I have to pay 60 every time I want to see a doctor and queue up behind the genuine and not so genuine people who have medical cards.
    At least you get to see one. I can't get access to one. I was told to just turn up and I wouldn't get turned away but I was. Oh and I don't have nor want a medical card and I've been paying taxes for 37 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

L1011 wrote: »
    The bulk pays for welfare, health amd education.

Less tax and less spending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

The problem being that as soon the govt bring in a tax not based on income but wealth (property) or service (water) the great unwashed go ape about paying. Keep the status quo and let fewer people pay for more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Did no one tell you we are a low tax economy :p it's all about the extraction of money from your pocket ....it does make a mockery getting a payrise or whatnot .

A wise man told me you cant beat the system but you can get your own back . Cash jobs nixers spend as little money buying luxury goods from the net to avoid paying Irish VAT .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Well, a bit of tax planning wouldn't go amiss either.

This year your employer should give you a €500 voucher (you get it 100% tax free) and the other €500 in cash - that way you'll end up with €730 worth in your pocket.

The employer benefits from the ER PRSI saving and maybe a further deduction depending on the total spend your employer makes on voucher spend with someone like Dunnes Stores for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

What annoys me is the lack of appreciation for the people paying their taxes and seeing it go to a certain section.

All we hear is how the vulnerable aren't looked after in society etc etc.

This is one of the most generous welfare countries in the world but all we hear is these people wanting more and more.

They are laughing at us idiots working to fund their lifestyle.

Whoever shouts the loudest gets the most. You get nothing for been honest and hardworking in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lost faith in politicians years ago.
    The straw that broke the camels back was the day they put a tax on my home. The home that I bought and struggled to pay a mortgage on for years.

There's always the option of stopping being and idiot, go on the dole and laugh all day at the working saps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,615 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lost faith in politicians years ago.
    The straw that broke the camels back was the day they put a tax on my home. The home that I bought and struggled to pay a mortgage on for years.

Your home which requires council provided services to be of any value. Not going to sell without a road, for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

What annoys me is the lack of appreciation for the people paying their taxes and seeing it go to a certain section.

All we hear is how the vulnerable aren't looked after in society etc etc.

This is one of the most generous welfare countries in the world but all we hear is these people wanting more and more.

Whoever shouts the loudest gets the most. You get nothing for been honest and hardworking in this country.

But theres nothing you can do about it, well i suppose there is, if you cant beat them join them.

There's always the option of stopping being and idiot, go on the dole and laugh all day at the working saps.

No I have a bit of self pride and respect.

I ask what I can do for my country not what can my country do for me.

I ask what I can do for my country

Great, your country asks you to pay your taxes.

• Advertisement

Great, your country asks you to pay your taxes.

It does and I do. Doesn't mean I have to be happy how they are spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ms1968

Not to mention that other great institution.....free legal aid.....60 odd million paid out every year defending people who are mainly unemployed but still go out and get bladdered and cause mayhem in every town and village the length and breath of the country and then saunter into the local court and announce they're "entitled" to a solicitor that the tax payer pays for.....what a great little country we are !!!! No chance of that ever changing.....too many vested interests.......and votes......

It does and I do. Doesn't mean I have to be happy how they are spent.

So, it's not a case of what can I do for my country. It's more, What I'd like my country to ask of me. ;)

So, it's not a case of what can I do for my country. It's more, What I'd like my country to ask of me. ;)

No I like paying taxes when it goes to causes I think are worth it.

Can we all do that?

I'd like my taxes to go on my new sports car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If you're unhappy about how your taxes are spent then vote accordingly. If you're still unhappy, get yourself elected. If that doesn't work, emigrate.

If you're unhappy about how your taxes are spent then vote accordingly. If you're still unhappy, get yourself elected. If that doesn't work, emigrate.

I'm sorry I thought this was a discussion site where people give different opinions.

I didn't realise if I'm not happy I should be quite or just emigrate.

I'm sorry I thought this was a discussion site where people give different opinions.

I didn't realise if I'm not happy I should be quite or just emigrate.

You learn something new every day.

ms1968 wrote: »
    Not to mention that other great institution.....free legal aid.....60 odd million paid out every year defending people who are mainly unemployed but still go out and get bladdered and cause mayhem in every town and village the length and breath of the country and then saunter into the local court and announce they're "entitled" to a solicitor that the tax payer pays for.....what a great little country we are !!!! No chance of that ever changing.....too many vested interests.......and votes......

Nice little earner for the legal eagles so no chance of that gravy train being stopped.
    My eyes were opened when some dude asked for his trial to be re-arranged so he could attend the McGregor fight in Vegas.!

Thankfully the normally dozy lordship copped that this was a bit over the top and found out the guy was on free legal aid.

Vested interests is very true !

• Advertisement

Nice little earner for the legal eagles so no chance of that gravy train being stopped.
    My eyes were opened when some dude asked for his trial to be re-arranged so he could attend the McGregor fight in Vegas.!

Thankfully the normally dozy lordship copped that this was a bit over the top and found out the guy was on free legal aid.

Vested interests is very true !

If you're not happy just emigrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

If you're not happy just emigrate.

What?

So if someone is unhappy with the way things are run in their own country then your solution is they should move to another country?

Nevermind if they have family/friends/home here. Just hop on a plane eh?

Sorted! :rolleyes:

What?

So if someone is unhappy with the way things are run in their own country then your solution is they should move to another country?

Nevermind if they have family/friends/home here. Just hop on a plane eh?

Sorted! :rolleyes:

See 4 posts above:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Few paying for the many, it's a sickening joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

See 4 posts above:)

Ha, my apologies! Hadn't spotted that post.
    On the same page as you now though (see what I did there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Maybe just take a diffferent look at it, just think of all the people you are helping,
    like you would if you donate to a charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Show of hands, how many posters here actually know how much direct tax they are paying? That is how much PAYE and USC you are paying. Some add PRSI aswell to get their total direct contribution to the state each year. Dig out your P60 from last year and add up the deductions and figure out the percentage you are paying on your gross income. Looking at it on a weekly or monthly basis is misleading. Look at the 12 months of the tax year for your effective tax rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Seems to crop up a lot. If all else fails emigrate! Great solution Professor.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Show of hands, how many posters here actually know how much direct tax they are paying? That is how much PAYE and USC you are paying. Some add PRSI aswell to get their total direct contribution to the state each year. Dig out your P60 from last year and add up the deductions and figure out the percentage you are paying on your gross income. Looking at it on a weekly or monthly basis is misleading. Look at the 12 months of the tax year for your effective tax rate.

I do as my accountants tell me every chuffing month and year end

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Maybe just take a diffferent look at it, just think of all the people you are helping,

Don't get me started on charities!

Worst of all the scammers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Stheno wrote: »
    I do as my accountants tell me every chuffing month and year end

So what's the percentage? If it's too high, what percentage do you feel is right for direct taxation keeping in mind that a level of taxation is required to fund the state.

• Advertisement

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

Charidees in most civilised countries are for deserving causes and would be appropriately regulated.

I our little cesspit it is to keep the CEO and his/her coterie in the lifestyle they think they deserve and the regulator is a shill from some political party.

Life goes on ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Seems you can't get ahead being a goody two shoes, so stop being one.
    Look how corrupt the people are who govern ,and ask why you are being so perfect for them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

27% of gross.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So what's the percentage? If it's too high, what percentage do you feel is right for direct taxation keeping in mind that a level of taxation is required to fund the state.

I'd prefer not to say tbh suffice to say that I now have measures in place such as pension planning and it will halve as a result

Seems you can't get ahead being a goody two shoes, so stop being one.
    Look how corrupt the people are who govern ,and ask why you are being so perfect for them ?

More incompetent than corrupt in this posters opinion....and that applies to not just the present Government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

L1011 wrote: »
    Your home which requires council provided services to be of any value. Not going to sell without a road, for starters.
    Which we pay for through all our other taxes including funnily enough Road Tax.

Seems to crop up a lot. If all else fails emigrate! Great solution Professor.

Vote, get elected, accept or emigrate. Any other options?

Vote, get elected, accept or emigrate. Any other options?

Moan and whinge on boards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Which we pay for through all our other taxes including funnily enough Road Tax.

No road tax I'm afraid. They thought situations like that and renamed it motor tax..

Agree 100 percent with OP> I got my Christmas bonus too , liss than half in my pocket to take home. For this I get up at 5:45 am each day, work a nine hour day and run a house with 2 kids.

Meanwhile, certain people I know sit on their arse, breed as many kids as they feel like, and get 'paid' each week. Seriously, I heard one of then saying she would buy her new shoes when she gets 'paid' I said I thought you had to earn money to be paid. She didn't get it ..

Here's what I would do straight off if I was 'in charge' of Ireland Inc Finances:

child benefit, free medical card etc only for first 2 kids, the rest are at your own expense
    single parent allowance only paid if you declare father of child, and he then gets an attachment to his earnings (or his social welfare payment) you breed em, you pay for em.
    unemployment benefit cut off after one year UNLESS you are sick, disabled etc. Plenty of jobs out there now

oh and that's just for starters....

I honestly think the mood in the country would back such measures, But there is no political party with the backbone to introduce such radical change

• Advertisement
Advertisement