Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm sick to death of being taxed to death !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

BoatMad wrote: »
    which is not primarily for pensions so , why did he say it was

Ah yes it is, PRSI is your contribution to your state pension, if and when you retire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Ah yes it is, PRSI is your contribution to your state pension, if and when you retire

it actually is to cover you for redundancy dole etc, that was its major provision for class A contributors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

holyhead wrote: »
    Inheritance tax is another load of nonsense. It's like a double taxation as the money used to build up the inheritance was subject to tax in the first place.

The person who paid income tax does not pay inheritance tax on the same money. The person who paid income tax is dead.

The people who lose money to inheritance tax are people who did not work for that money, and have not paid tax on it already. (And there is a large amount of inheritance that is tax free anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

it actually is to cover you for redundancy dole etc, that was its major provision for class A contributors

I stand corrected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wonder how much it would cost to stop the double social welfare allowance and give the taxpayer a free week without tax from their wages at Christmas?

I wonder how much it would cost to stop the double social welfare allowance and give the taxpayer a free week without tax from their wages at Christmas?

the allowance is a pittance compared to the states weekly incomes tax take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Havent read through all the comments but has anyone brought up the fact that on budget day, our government gave themselves a little bump in wages that went largely unnoticed due to the government owned newspapers reporting on the budget and not the bump.

The more days go on, the more I want a party in power that will look after the people, not d**k them over. If Trump can deliver, Id vote for a party similar in Ireland. Ye get nothing for working hard and being honest.

If Trump can deliver, Id vote for a party similar in Ireland.

I see

* a wall , where , to keep the unionists in obviously
    * deport the illegal immigrants, err. most already have been
    * tarrifs, right that all work in an exporting economy

I see

* a wall , where , to keep the unionists in obviously
    * deport the illegal immigrants, err. most already have been
    * tarrifs, right that all work in an exporting economy

I meant that not in a literal state. As in his promises around looking after the normal everyday worker. I'm all for a multi cultural society, I just don't see why the rich keep getting richer and the rest foot the bill

As in his promises around looking after the normal everyday worker.

by appointing a cabinet of millionaires and billionaires and of course his proven track record of his support of the normal everyday worker !!!!!

seriously , voters are the dumbest creatures
    I just don't see why the rich keep getting richer and the rest foot the bill
    read ' The art of the deal " and see how the rich get richer and the rest pick up the bill

• Advertisement

by appointing a cabinet of millionaires and billionaires and of course his proven track record of his support of the normal everyday worker !!!!!

seriously , voters are the dumbest creatures

read ' The art of the deal " and see how the rich get richer and the rest pick up the bill

That's why I said 'if'.

Sure now we have a political figure in Bertie returning who pi**ed away €45million on the Bertie Bowl. Where'd that money go?

Sure now we have a political figure in Bertie who pi**ed away €45million on the Bertie's Bowl. Where'd that money go?

you should see how money is pissed away in the US on public schemes or in every other country. as a proportion to our budget its a pimple, annoying yes, material, no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭baldbear

Havent read through all the comments but has anyone brought up the fact that on budget day, our government gave themselves a little bump in wages that went largely unnoticed due to the government owned newspapers reporting on the budget and not the bump.

Our TDS love the unions. Pay restoration is linked to civil service pay restoration. TDs no longer set their own salaries & when they get nice little lumps they play dumb & say it's under the Lansdowne Rd agreement.

I'm sure they could change the law & set their own pay but then they'd have no one but themselves to answer to over pay rises. Sneaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You got a PAY RISE of €24K a year and you're unhappy:(. Do you realise that that there are thousands and thousands of employees working for €24000 and all you can do is complain:rolleyes:.

The raise was 2k per annum I think

But even if it wasn't - you think the state is entitled to more than half of any salary increase? Just because you and someone else earn less!?

Really!

envy much?

you should see how money is pissed away in the US on public schemes or in every other country. as a proportion to our budget its a pimple, annoying yes, material, no

Why do we have to follow the lead of this though? Pissing away money. 45mil mightn't be big to a country in the grand scheme of things but to the individual, a local village, a business, it's a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The poor have been taught to hate upwards and the middle class to hate downwards when in reality it's the scum at the very bottom and scum at the very top who need to be skimmed off and ****ed out to sea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The more days go on, the more I want a party in power that will look after the people, not d**k them over. If Trump can deliver, Id vote for a party similar in Ireland. Ye get nothing for working hard and being honest.

Just to be clear on where and how to direct your anger.

Under the LRA, some of the three PS pay cuts are being restored.

In particular, the third pay cut, imposed on those earning over 65k under the HRA, is being rewound, as planned, under the LRA.

So, as TDs earn over 65k, then they are part of thousands of workers who will get their third pay cut restored in 2017 and 2018 as part of the LRA.

I agree with this.

Otherwise, we pick and choose which PS over 65k are more rewarding of having their pay restored?

AFAIK, the Govt decided to forgo its ministerial pay restoration under the LRA.

So, just to be clear, the Govt voted to not give themselves a pay restoration.

I stand corrected

Tommy,

you're not wrong.

The main social benefit that your PRSI finances is the State Pension.

One of the main problems in Ireland is that half the population are on welfare.

This is too high.

Too many working-age adults do not work.

The employment rate is too low.

There are way too many working-age adults inactive in the labour market.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    Tommy,

you're not wrong.

The main social benefit that your PRSI finances is the State Pension.

better off not bothering to pay PRSI... contributory pension is only a few quid more than non contributory.

So after 40 years of contributions you get an extra couple of quid a week than the person who never contributed a red cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

lawred2 wrote: »
    better off not bothering to pay PRSI... contributory pension is only a few quid more than non contributory.

So after 40 years of contributions you get an extra couple of quid a week than the person who never contributed a red cent.

You're forgetting the non contributory is means tested. There's surely nobody on Boards.ie that will not have sufficient pension plans that would solely be relying on a government pension... surely.

lawred2 wrote: »

A very good point.

Never mentioned by any politician.

You're forgetting the non contributory is means tested. There's surely nobody on Boards.ie that will not have sufficient pension plans that would solely be relying on a government pension... surely.

I'm not forgetting anything..

means testing doesn't alter the fact that the recipient hasn't been a contributor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

So forget about what it's spent on etc. What is the level of direct taxation people feel is the right amount to pay on earned income? Keep in mind if you are reducing the level of tax intake from direct taxation you need to either increase it somewhere else or reduce state spending to match.

The problem is that people feel they should pay 0% tax and still derive 100% of all benefits from the State.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

http://www.publicpolicy.ie/where-does-your-tax-go/

Is really interesting. I've worked fulltime for 16 years, never been a time when I haven't worked and I give €2,003.22 a year to pay pensions, €1,502.98 to pay dole and €1,684.87 a year to pay for hospitals.

Over those 16 years, I've probably paid at an estimated €250,000 tax and have absolutely nothing to show for it. I broke my wrist last year and had to spend €750 privately because I would have been waiting 36 hours to be seen by the hospital I paid €1,684.87 to fund last year.

I don't mind paying tax as a rule, I just feel like I get nothing for it.

You had a choice to pay privately or not, you took that choice.

You will eventually claim a state pension of your own please god of €12,116 per year.

If god forbid you had cancer in the morning you would have the best of treatment at no cost to you.

You might feel like you get nothing but it's when you need it the most that you'll notice what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

pilly wrote: »

You will eventually claim a state pension of your own please god of €12,116 per year.

If god forbid you had cancer in the morning you would have the best of treatment at no cost to you.

You might feel like you get nothing but it's when you need it the most that you'll notice what you get.

What makes you so sure that the state will pay pensions in 24 years time? We're heading towards a major pension issue where we won't be able to pay pensions at the current rate. IMO workers will get shafted in the next two decades regarding pensions where they will be forced to have a private pension and this will make them ineligible for a state pension and only those on social welfare will have a state pension.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

What makes you so sure that the state will pay pensions in 24 years time? We're heading towards a major pension issue where we won't be able to pay pensions at the current rate. IMO workers will get shafted in the next two decades regarding pensions where they will be forced to have a private pension and this will make them ineligible for a state pension and only those on social welfare will have a state pension.

So you really believe that our country would just allow pensioners to starve to death?

So you really believe that our country would just allow pensioners to starve to death?

That's not what i said is it? perhaps re-read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

no I don't. But they could be two thirds of what their are and they wouldn't be close to starving to death. There was a recent report saying how unsustainable the public pension will become in the not too distant future. Of course the politicians ignore it. It won't be this current crops problem, not the older ones anyway ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

But the issue is not that you get something from the system but is one of whether you get value for money and is the system equitable and fair

Lets take the state pension...considering what you pay is that vlaue for money...Also many receive payment and never contribute

The 'best treatment ' for cancer...not in my experience ....firstly you need to be diagnosed and referred to secondary care...Didn't happen for my father as his GP who he paid for was dreadful and never referred him until its was too late. If you have to pay for GP how many people miss cancer detection. Her in England NHS treatment is better . and quicker and FREE
    If you pay more tax and a have a substandard system is that not an issue ?

Of coure people need to pay tax but is it being spend wisely and appropriately
    Not in Ireland imo ....Public services (with a few exceptions) are traditionally very poor and there is not the will to improve them..

• Advertisement

That's not what i said is it? perhaps re-read.

No I understood what you said. That people will be forced to pay a private pension. That's an entirely different issue and will not effect someone who says they pay tax for 16 years. It's not practical that the government would tell people now in their 30's, 40's & 50's that they will have to provide themselves with a pension of €233 at 66. Not going to happen.

Will it happen in 20, 30 years time, maybe but that's not what's being discussed here.

People are complaining about getting nothing for the taxes when it's just not true. Unless we all die before 66 we will substantially benefit.

Politician here is UK have guaranteed a £140 a week pension ( its so much better inIreland) Now there is evidence that this may not be affordable and politicians are back tracking ....You can reduce pension without pensioners starving

Also discussion how freedom of movement in EU may have to be re thought due to migration from areas of poor social welfare and wages to areas of higher benefits
    This is an major issue for some countries highlighted by the Brexit vote

No I understood what you said. That people will be forced to pay a private pension. That's an entirely different issue and will not effect someone who says they pay tax for 16 years. It's not practical that the government would tell people now in their 30's, 40's & 50's that they will have to provide themselves with a pension of €233 at 66. Not going to happen.

Will it happen in 20, 30 years time, maybe but that's not what's being discussed here.

People are complaining about getting nothing for the taxes when it's just not true. Unless we all die before 66 we will substantially benefit.

You seem to be agreeing and disagreeing to my point in the same post, 20 to 30 years is the time frame of the user who has already paid 16 years of tax, I believe one to be very nieve if they expect the current state pension to be paid to everyone in 20 years time. And what will happen, the ones with private pensions will pay for the ones without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

take a decco at the thread above this one, its one of the reasons the op feels ripped off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

fxotoole wrote: »
    The problem is that people feel they should pay 0% tax and still derive 100% of all benefits from the State.

Honestly, I think social protection isn't a big concern.

I'm more angry about the billions wasted on vanity projects and white elephants.

All I want is a strong government that's more concerned about pushing the country forward than photo ops and getting relected by making empty promises.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Show of hands, how many posters here actually know how much direct tax they are paying? That is how much PAYE and USC you are paying. Some add PRSI aswell to get their total direct contribution to the state each year. Dig out your P60 from last year and add up the deductions and figure out the percentage you are paying on your gross income. Looking at it on a weekly or monthly basis is misleading. Look at the 12 months of the tax year for your effective tax rate.

That is the wrong way of looking at it in Ireland and that's how the gov wants you to look at it.
    I pay more taxes on my income in Germany, but the real rip off starts after your net income in Ireland.
    Higher VAT, higher rates (on businesses) pushing up prices, far more expensive food, far, far, far greater expenses in owning a car, the list is endless.
    If you think Ireland is a low tax economy because of what it says on your payslip, you're not seeing the whole picture.

You seem to be agreeing and disagreeing to my point in the same post, 20 to 30 years is the time frame of the user who has already paid 16 years of tax, I believe one to be very nieve if they expect the current state pension to be paid to everyone in 20 years time. And what will happen, the ones with private pensions will pay for the ones without.

No what I mean is they may announce that in 20 or 30 years. They can't simply put an end to the pension without a very very long lead in. Otherwise people who haven't been able to afford a pension will starve. Do you honestly believe that when we reach pension age they will tell us "sorry no money".

I never said they would simply switch it off that's your assumption. 20 years is a long time to implement change, like increasing the age of entitlement, effectively they are taking two years of state pension away from workers with their plan to increase age to 68. So you can see they have already started to remove the state pension for workers.

I stand corrected

No need, redundancy dole etc is funded by employers PRSI. Employee PRSI funds exactly what you described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

No what I mean is they may announce that in 20 or 30 years. ...........

They'll need to overhaul it all a lot sooner than that

Basic state pension in the UK is €141

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/what-youll-get

• Advertisement

What annoys me is the lack of appreciation for the people paying their taxes and seeing it go to a certain section.

All we hear is how the vulnerable aren't looked after in society etc etc.

This is one of the most generous welfare countries in the world but all we hear is these people wanting more and more.

They are laughing at us idiots working to fund their lifestyle.

Whoever shouts the loudest gets the most. You get nothing for been honest and hardworking in this country.

Who's laughing at you, calling you an idiot? This is all in your head imo. Try live and let live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭bossdrum

BoatMad wrote:

Augeo wrote:
    No need, redundancy dole etc is funded by employers PRSI. Employee PRSI funds exactly what you described.

Unfortunately the government did away with their contribution to the redundancy payment a few years ago. They used to pay 60% of it but now only pays if the employer goes bust.
    I didn't notice any reduction in the prsi rate though even though its saving them a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭topcat77

You have to remember how lucky we are to be born here with all the privileges that it gives us. You're in the top 2% of the world when it comes to your living standards. Tax is what made that happen.

MPFGLB wrote:
    The 'best treatment ' for cancer...not in my experience ....firstly you need to be diagnosed and referred to secondary care...Didn't happen for my father as his GP who he paid for was dreadful and never referred him until its was too late. If you have to pay for GP how many people miss cancer detection. Her in England NHS treatment is better . and quicker and FREE If you pay more tax and a have a substandard system is that not an issue ?

The government can not be to blame for a bad GP, in my experience treatment for serious illness in Ireland is excellent. Primary care may be free in the UK but I've been told you could be a week to 10 days waiting to see a GP. I'm simply saying there's so much complaining in Ireland when there are huge benefits to living here.

gctest50 wrote:

gctest50 wrote:

gctest50 wrote:
    Basic state pension in the UK is €141

So that means it has to go down here.?

The government can not be to blame for a bad GP, in my experience treatment for serious illness in Ireland is excellent. Primary care may be free in the UK but I've been told you could be a week to 10 days waiting to see a GP. I'm simply saying there's so much complaining in Ireland when there are huge benefits to living here.

There may be benefits to living in Ireland but healthcare is not one of them

I live in UK and GPs see patients within 2 days...its the target . and its is free for all..(If you pay then of course you can see a private GP straight away) .also A/E see people within 4 hours
    In ireland you pay for GP services and that is fine if you have the money or a medical card ...which most workers dont

The health services in Ireland is very poor ...not just my father ...al my friends have terrible stories..that is those who cannot pay ..especially with emergency care...with long waits on trollys. Also primary caare is under represented per population and you have to pay .and there are few quality assurance or governance over GPs...I have evidence of more than one GP who would be investiaged on the NHS but can carry on regardless in Ireland...in anyone's book this is very poor...We are talking about affordability here and of course you can have any servcie if you pay...The NHS is free at the point of access and all the way through for the same tax rate (even less) than you pay and I donlt have to pay private health insurance on top of that.

I can walk into my GP practice any day of the week and see a GP free...I went this summer and got a referral to a hospital dematolgy department within 2 weeks...and this is FREE and the same for everyone no matter their income

But if you consider the truth some sort of 'attack' on good old Ireland then you need ot wake up....I am not on here to moan but to tell you as it is

Public service in Ireland are mostly very poor (except eduction and some social servcies)...its a fact ...I have worked in both

MPFGLB wrote:
    The health services in Ireland is very poor ...not just my father ...al my friends have terrible stories..that is those who cannot pay ..especially with emergency care...with long waits on trollys. Also primary caare is under represented per population and you have to pay .and there are few quality assurance or governance over GPs...I have evidence of more thna one GP who would be investiaged on the NHS but can carry on regardless in Ireland...in anyone's book this is very poor...We are talking about affordability here and of course you can have any servcie if you pay...The NHS is free at the point of access and all the way through for the same tax rate (even less) than you pay and I donlt have to pay private health insurance on top of that.

MPFGLB wrote:
    But if you consider the truth some sort of 'attack' on good old Ireland then you need ot wake up....I am not on here to moan but to tell you as it is

Your here to tell me how it is ? Boards is a discussion forum not one for individuàl attacks. Quite an arrogant statement from you imo. I currently live in Ireland and have experienced excellent health care so your truth and mine are different.
    I also have friends and family in the UK who tell me completely different stories. Every week there's another story about the NHS being in crisis.

Your here to tell me how it is ? Boards is a discussion forum not one for individuàl attacks. Quite an arrogant statement from you imo. I currently live in Ireland and have experienced excellent health care so your truth and mine are different.
    I also have friends and family in the UK who tell me completely different stories. Every week there's another story about the NHS being in crisis.

You are the one suggesting what I said was a moan about Ireland...like some defensive "we are great and UK is sh**" conversations I have heard so much over and over again

When I said tell it as it is ...I mean from my point of view as a worker in both services at a high level...

Your evidence is what exactly...some story from relatives ...I work across the board and have in both

All health services are under pressure but the NHS is superior to the Irish health system and if it had the money you pay on insurance it would be better still becaus remember it is free within lesser tax rate then you pay ...and it is even better in Scotland
    http://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/2015/01/nhs-satisfaction-levels-despite-increased-demand

It is used as football by media and politicans so only the minority bad press is brodcast ..I didnt make up the targets figures in the NHS (nor the evidence of deaths form cancer in Ireland or trollys in A/E in Limerick and other hospitlas)

If you cannot take another point of view without turning into some attack on you . or dear old Ireland or your right to post on this board :rolleyes: :rolleyes:there is no point

You continue to be deluded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I landed in the UK last week. Saw a doctor the same day. Was handed a prescription for a month, with a repeat for the year. Walked to a different part of the medical centre and was handed my prescription in minutes and told to come back for a blood test next morning. No money changes hands.

In Ireland. I see the doctor, he gives me a prescription for one month, no repeat. I pay 55 Euro and take it to the pharmacy it costs 300 something euros for the month. I wait 3 weeks for my blood test. Rinse, repeat.

I have used Irish and UK health systems for 15 years and 25 years respectively.

Ireland sucks balls in comparison. In every department I have used.

And since this is a tax thread. Just about to tax my 2007 1.8 civic petrol. £185! It's nearer €700 in Ireland.

Prsi is roughly the same as ni. Yet one funds a health service that is free. One doesn't.

It's the same with the licence fee. BBC has no ads, fee is the same as Ireland yet rte have ads every 15 minutes.

It's almost like Ireland copies the UK system (which is good) and then loses the money somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Noddy Nangle

amcalester wrote: »
    You got a PAY RISE of €24K a year and you're unhappy:(. Do you realise that that there are thousands and thousands of employees working for €24000 and all you can do is complain:rolleyes:.

And this right here is the reason why!
    Dial Hard wrote: »
    You got a PAY RISE of €24K a year and you're unhappy . Do you realise that that there are thousands and thousands of employees working for €24000 and all you can do is complain .

I'm pretty sure the total pay rise was 2 grand. Not 2 grand a month.
    Well, a bit of tax planning wouldn't go amiss either.

This year your employer should give you a €500 voucher (you get it 100% tax free) and the other €500 in cash - that way you'll end up with €730 worth in your pocket.

The employer benefits from the ER PRSI saving and maybe a further deduction depending on the total spend your employer makes on voucher spend with someone like Dunnes Stores for example.

Actually My bonus is €1000 on my payslip but I get the bonus of €460 in vouchers.

Advertisement