Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm sick to death of being taxed to death !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Sol ets say you have a limited company like many I know...

You can have 'sales' of £100 k per year

You can set your salary low, claims expenses, and dividends ....you could pay half or a third of what a PAYE employee pays..

Now take that up a notch to large company profits, very large farmers ( lots of them pay littel if any tax) and rich with investemnts that give income in the 100Ks

There are many ways the rich avoid tax ....

But you will only be able to take out a small amount of money if you pay little tax.

It works exactly the same as a normal working person.

Very little expenses you can claim with a limited company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I wasn;t comparing them ....I was giving examples of tax avoidance ...aagain quite simple

I can;t argue with someone who is obtuse and delibertely mis leading ..

Just don't answer my post ...I dont want to waste my time on you

And I am the one being arrogant.

cala wrote: »
    How could an income increase of less than 20% possibly incur a rent increase of 100%

I am assuming loss of rent allowance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

pilly wrote: »
    You live in the UK and obviously love it, very happy for you. What's your agenda posting on here then ? You're happy where you are so stay there.

Lost of people on here do not live in Irelnd

I am irish and I am entitled to post on here

Also my family live in Ireland and I am intersted in the country

I can have opinion on the tax and healthcare without being told I must stay here

Who are you to tell me where I should live or post ....

I am giving information to set the Irish tax system in context

You seem to ahve a problem with any criticism even if indirect of Ireland

FortySeven wrote: »
    I'm also in the UK after 15 years in Ireland. I'm barely back but I'm noticing how much I was being robbed blind in Ireland. Everything here is cheaper. I'm not getting raped in tax and services are excellent. I will be staying and good riddance to you sir.

One less taxpayer to keep the cookie from crumbling.

Fair play, always good to review your own situation every few years and if you aren't happy with it, and unwilling to accept it as it is, make changes.

Lost of people on here do not live in Irelnd

I am irish and I am entitled to post on here

Also my family live in Ireland and I am intersted in the country

I can have opinion on the tax and healthcare without being told I must stay here

Who are you to tell me where I should live or post ....

I am giving information to set the Irish tax system in context

You'd swear we needed information on setting the Irish Tax system in context and you were the only source for same.
    What are your thoughts on property tax and water rates?

But you will only be able to take out a small amount of money if you pay little tax.

It works exactly the same as a normal working person.

Very little expenses you can claim with a limited company.

You can claim epenses and avoid tax through dividends and pay alot into a pension pot tha will be tax free later ....not the same for PAYE

I know this as my other half has one .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I'm also in the UK after 15 years in Ireland. I'm barely back but I'm noticing how much I was being robbed blind in Ireland. Everything here is cheaper. I'm not getting raped in tax and services are excellent. I will be staying and good riddance to you sir.

One less taxpayer to keep the cookie from crumbling.

Meanwhile Post Hard Brexit...
    I'm also in Ireland and...

;)

You can claim epenses and avoid tax through dividends and pay alot into a pension pot tha will be tax free later ....not the same for PAYE

And this is available to your average farmer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

There is nothing illegal in paying into a pension.

What expenses can you claim?

I run a limited company myself. So tell me what scams I'm missing out on please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Meanwhile Post Hard Brexit...

;)

What's your point? I get about.

You can claim expenses

Yes.
    avoid tax through dividends

How's that?
    pay alot into a pension pot tha will be tax free later ....

True, but...
    pay alot into a pension pot tha will be tax free later ....not the same for PAYE

Most PAYE workers don't avail of the maximum limit they can pay into their pension, so not much difference.

I just got it. Never mind :)

It's possible (although admittedly unlikely) Non UK citizens living in the UK will lose rights, or have to move home post a particularly hard UK exit from the EU.

Edit. Posts crossed.

It's possible (although admittedly unlikely) Non UK citizens living in the UK will lose rights, or have to move home post a particularly hard UK exit from the EU.

Edit. Posts crossed.

That's cool. I'm actually Scottish. Just moved home after 15 years. I personally believe the UK will do just fine with brexit but that's for another thread. :)

kippy wrote: »
    You'd swear we needed information on setting the Irish Tax system in context and you were the only source for same.
    What are your thoughts on property tax and water rates?

Ha ha ha

You object to my views on tax avoidance or public spending but you wnat my views on property tax an water rates :rolleyes::D :D:D

I donlt know much about the water rates in Ireland but sewage, water maintenance and distribution has to be paid for so if not by rates then it will be covered by some tax..so you pay either way ..so why not let the property owners carry it with rates

Property tax is very difficult as people need to be able to pass their property on to family but on the otherhand its a massive gift to offspring and can increase wealth ....I guess I am for it but at a reasonable rate and threshold

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

MPFGLB wrote:

No I have a problem with someone who no longer lives here delighting in putting the country and it's people down. You don't want to live here fine. There are plenty of Irish who wouldn't live in the UK if the tax rate was zero, including me.

I'm simply putting forward the point of view of someone who loves living in Ireland.

Unpopular view I know but there you go. It's mine.

That's cool. I'm actually Scottish. Just moved home after 15 years. I personally believe the UK will do just fine with brexit but that's for another thread. :)

Okay, Post Hard Brexit and UKr ;)

Yeah, I think the UK will be fine, but ultimately somewhat worse off and still having to deal with an influx of foreigners. But, as you said... for a different thread.

Expenses are listed at this website
    http://www.sjdaccountancy.com/about/ourservices/sjd_contractors_expenses.html

If you claim dividends you pay a lower rate than PAYE (unless different in Ireland)

I m not advocating tax avoidance but there are many loopholes that companies ( large ones) and rich individuals utilize

• Advertisement

Okay, Post Hard Brexit and UKr ;)

Yeah, I think the UK will be fine, but ultimately somewhat worse off and still having to deal with an influx of foreigners. But, as you said... for a different thread.

I agree that the next few years will be very hard ...

If you claim dividends you pay a lower rate than PAYE (unless different in Ireland)

I m not advocating tax avoidance but there are many loopholes that companies ( large ones) and rich individuals utilize

And this is different in the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Dividends are taxed completely differently in Ireland. Similarly all your other points were also invalid.

Are you maintaining your GP registration in UK..... you might need to

Ha ha ha

You object to my views on tax avoidance or public spending but you wnat my views on property tax an water rates :rolleyes::D :D:D

I donlt know much about the water rates in Ireland but sewage, water maintenance and distribution has to be paid for so if not by rates then it will be covered by some tax..so you pay either way ..so why not let the property owners carry it with rates

Property tax is very difficult as people need to be able to pass their property on to family but on the otherhand its a massive gift to offspring and can increase wealth ....I guess I am for it but at a reasonable rate and threshold
    You have not put across a view on tax avoidance that makes any sense whatsoever.
    I'd like your views on taxation in general and from your confusion around property tax I can see that you have little understanding of same despite all the bluster.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Dividends are taxed completely differently in Ireland. Similarly all your other points were also invalid.

All my posts are invalid .... what a sweeping ridiculous statement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

I used to work in a call centre for a bank. I hated it. But my one little nugget of enjoyment was when people would ring up to see if their "wages" had gone in. I'd check and if wages had gone in I'd say yes. If €188 had gone in I'd say no. Cue panic on the other end of the line and are you sure, wages definitely didn't go in today, no no wages in there today. Ok, I'll have to ring them up and find out what happened.

Only bit of enjoyment I ever got from that job.

At least you got to get a laugh out of people less well off.

You have not put across a view on tax avoidance that makes any sense whatsoever.
    I'd like your views on taxation in general and from your confusion around property tax I can see that you have little understanding of same despite all the bluster.

If my views are so rubbish why do you want yo know them
    And jsut cos I know little about property tax does not mean I know littel about tax avoidance as a principle of a limited company

I never claimed to be a tax expert

If you just want to insult someone bully someone else...

Are you maintaining your GP registration in UK..... you might need to

I think you may have misread my post.

I think you may have misread my post.

Sorry did you say ...

I know you flew over to UK and got treatment

If my views are so rubbish why do you want yo know them
    And jsut cos I know little about property tax does not mean I know littel about tax avoidance as a principle of a limited company

I never claimed to be a tax expert

If you just want to insult someone bully someone else...

Have I said your views are rubbish?
    If I have insulted you, I apologise, that is not my intention.

A limited company is a completely different entity relative to a PAYE worker so again, I am not sure why you keep bringing this up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭cala

I am assuming loss of rent allowance?

No that would not account for such an increase, it's totally disproportionate to the small increase in income.

Sorry did you say ...

I know you flew over to UK and got treatment

I have come over for good. I won't be coming back to live in Ireland.

Here my job pays 23000 a year. I take home 1567 a month. I can rent a nice two bedroom apartment for 450 a month with council tax bringing it to 500 roughly per month. Car tax is 185. Healthcare is free.

In Ireland I made roughly the same in euros. Cheapest 2 bed apartment was 900 a month, car tax is 700ish for the same car and I have to add bin charges and water charges on top. Healthcare costs a fortune.

It's no contest I'm afraid. I also get to drive to work on a dual carriageway. It's awesome.

I'm not saying I don't like Ireland, I loved most of the time I was there but it is an absolute rip off.

Here my job pays 23000 a year. I take home 1567 a month. I can rent a nice two bedroom apartment for 450 a month with council tax bringing it to 500 roughly per month. Car tax is 185. Healthcare is free.

In Ireland I made roughly the same in euros. Cheapest 2 bed apartment was 900 a month, car tax is 700ish for the same car and I have to add bin charges and water charges on top. Healthcare costs a fortune.

It's no contest I'm afraid. I also get to drive to work on a dual carriageway. It's awesome.

I'm not saying I don't like Ireland, I loved most of the time I was there but it is an absolute rip off.

I hope it works out for you

I love Ireland ...its is the best place to live in the world in many ways

but as you say it is a rip off if you are an average worker

And the lack of health service would be a big problem for me ...I have never paid health insurance and would not have a medical card in Ireland so would have to pay (alot whene I get old)

You do realise your "NET" income would be higher in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Good for you.

Will do the same myself one day when its practical for us.

Have I said your views are rubbish?
    If I have insulted you, I apologise, that is not my intention.

A limited company is a completely different entity relative to a PAYE worker so again, I am not sure why you keep bringing this up.

I was not making a comparison ...I was using how you pay less tax with a limited company ..and you do.... as an indication that there are ways for companies to pay less ...then I went down this tit for tat discussion as you object to my posts/views etc

Let stop this as we are at odds and not on the same page ...so lets leave it

I was not making a comparison ...I was using how you pay less tax with a limited company ..and you do.... as an indication that there are ways for companies to pay less ...then I went down this tit for tat discussion as you object to my posts/views etc

Let stop this as we are at odds and not on the same page ...so lets leave it

There are ways for limited companies to pay less tax than an individual.
    Makes no sense.

You do realise your "NET" income would be higher in Ireland.

Yes. By approximately 100 a month. Doesn't in anyway cover the difference in hight rent, car tax and my monthly Dr visit and expensive rest of life prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Ah the aul 'everyone at the top is corrupt' argument. Yet when you ask these people for examples of corruption, they can never give examples as Ireland isnt that corrupt. Care to example to give me examples of the €15bn of corruption at the top ?

Just Anglo alone cost in excess of 30 billion
    newacc2015 wrote: »
    It is not the dole that is the issue. It is the basket of other goodies that comes with it such as free healthcare, a pension you didnt contribute a cent to, the free house, the variety of other welfare cheques throughout the year like back to school allowance etc. There is a sizeable minority in these country where there are generations in the household who have never worked a day in their life.

How much is spend on genuine welfare and how much isn't, some figures please.

Yes. By approximately 100 a month. Doesn't in anyway cover the difference in hight rent, car tax and my monthly Dr visit and expensive rest of life prescription.

I understand that for your personal circumstances it is more beneficial to live in the UK.

• Advertisement

Perscription charges are high in Ireland...You woulthink for long term conditions there would be a cap or something

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

I think we need to deal with all the corrupt

BTW 23 billion on social welfare is about 5,200 euros per person per year ..based on 2013 population states ....How can any state support that ? No wonder the government keeps borrowing

(BTW the same calculation for UK is 4,000 per annum ...and we have a free NHS say (just saying)

as for the rich...companies and individulas have elaborate tax avoidance scheme and very creative accountants,off shore deposits in Bahama or Jersey etc

And yet again you only interested in the poor milking the system, not the rich, who cost just as much in taxes if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

OP what industry you work in?

As a side note, haven't you heard the saying "only certainties in life are death & taxes" ? some smart arse in a seat of power decided to merge the two.. death by taxation haha.. besides that hasn't anyone explained? we are slaves. we work for monopoly money & everything we own can be repossessed by a pen stroke (or a dozen or so..)

Long story short... vive la revolution! or better yet bring, on the apocalypse!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

myshirt wrote: »
    For those of you that got to where you are not because of your own efforts, but because you knew someone, because your father knew someone, because of your socio economic background, because of strong investment by this state in your education, because of fiscal policy that lumps money spent on you onto the next generation to pay, because of unions that squeeze money from the masses to overpay you, why oh why are you upset about taxes and attacking some of the most vulnerable people in this state?

Pay your f#ckig taxes and stop reading sh'tty tabloid papers, you've no idea what it is like to have sweet f"ck all. Putting your hand in your pocket and feeling nothing but your leg.

You went to bed last night in a warm bed. You had water to drink. You had a choice of clothes. No one was shooting up in your estate. None of your childhood pals topped themselves in troves. No one refused you a job 290 times. Your children had good schools to go to. The state didn't leave you hanging when you faced all his as a child, waiting for Superman to come and rescue you. Superman didn't come to rescue you. Superman spent his time giving money to **** who give out they need more tax cuts. The list goes on. Count your blessings, not your problems lads ffs.

Cos you pay taxes you've never been poor or never had problems in your life?

As an emigrant I'm VERY aware how the 'social justice' industry along with professional classes and civil servants and generations of welfare spongers live it up and then use the same old tired memes to keep the middle class working ants under control..

'Sure you have a warm bed'....

'Sure Ireland is the best little country in the world TM'

'If you don't like it emigrate' (lots of us have ..the ones who don't want to listen to this **** and our pockets dipped the more we earn)

'Sure it's well for you earning the big money' (yeah get off your arse and get an education and work for a living)'

Get your dirty hands out of my wage packet that I've worked so hard for and should be for my family and I'll move home!

Sol ets say you have a limited company like many I know...

You can have 'sales' of £100 k per year

You can set your salary low, claims expenses, and dividends ....you could pay half or a third of what a PAYE employee pays..

Now take that up a notch to large company profits, very large farmers ( lots of them pay littel if any tax) and rich with investemnts that give income in the 100Ks

There are many ways the rich avoid tax ....

This is all hearsay. My hearsay is that revenue commissioners don't mess around in Ireand, dividends, salaries, profits and capital gains all get taxed hard.

maninasia wrote: »
    This is all hearsay. My hearsay is that revenue commissioners don't mess around in Ireand, dividends, salaries, profits and capital gains all get taxed hard.

yeah thay all get taxed hard :rolleyes:
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/aug/30/eu-apple-ireland-tax-ruling-q-and-a

Secondly my point is that in comparison to PAYE workers a limited company director can pays less tax fact ...not hearsay . I didn't say they didnlt pay tax ...

That's Apple, the multinationals have a completely different tax regime than local businesses. Hence the EU can bring a case against the Irish government as they are supposed to apply the tax laws equally.

Also large portions of PAYE workers in Ireland (compared to UK or mainland Europe) pay almost no tax but are entitled to the dole if unemployed. 700,000 workers out of 2,000,000 workers pay no PAYE due to the allowance. That means the other 'higher earners' get hit hard.

There's no dole if self employed although there is talk of introducing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

yeah thay all get taxed hard :rolleyes:
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/aug/30/eu-apple-ireland-tax-ruling-q-and-a

Secondly my point is that in comparison to PAYE workers a limited company director can pays less tax fact ...not hearsay . I didn't say they didnlt pay tax ...

So who do u think pays an employees/paye tax/PRSI ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Best Country in the world to be a lazy ****ing layabout in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,945 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pkiernan wrote:
    Best Country in the world to be a lazy ****ing layabout in.

Not at all, in many cases, it's just a perception of laziness but in fact it's caused by more complex problems

Advertisement