Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming for accidental car damage query

Options
  • 27-11-2016 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I stupidly scraped the side door of my car yesterday in a city centre car park. Totally my fault! :o

Anyway, I've never claimed on my car insurance in the 30 years I've been driving. According to my Aviva policy I have €300 accidental excess.

So, my question is, if I claim for fixing the damage (if it's over the €300), will I lose my no claims bonus and therefore be liable for larger premiums in the future?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

chewed wrote: »
    I stupidly scraped the side door of my car yesterday in a city centre car park. Totally my fault! :o

Anyway, I've never claimed on my car insurance in the 30 years I've been driving. According to my Aviva policy I have €300 accidental excess.

So, my question is, if I claim for fixing the damage (if it's over the €300), will I lose my no claims bonus and therefore be liable for larger premiums in the future?
    I would avoid claiming for such a small sum.
    A replacement door for a car from a car dismantlers would be approximately 150 euro. Add maybe 100 euro to fit the door if your are unable to.

Quite often you can find one the exact colour. If not, keep looking until you do. What kind of car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

It's a Kia Sportage. Not sure if the entire door needs replacing! It's a big scrape near the bottom of the door. I'll have to bring it to a crash repair to assess full damage.

It's a Kia Sportage. Not sure if the entire door needs replacing! It's a big scrape near the bottom of the door. I'll have to bring it to a crash repair to assess full damage.

Sometimes it's more cost effective to replace the door due to the man hours required to repair the original door.

In any case get a quote for both options if possible.

OK cheers. But will I lose no claims bonus if I do put in a claim?

OK cheers. But will I lose no claims bonus if I do put in a claim?

Yes. Even if you have bonus protection, that only applies to your current insurer. That means you are at the mercy of their pricing for the next 3 years or so. If you change insurers, you have to declare the claim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

pablo128 wrote: »
    Yes. Even if you have bonus protection, that only applies to your current insurer. That means you are at the mercy of their pricing for the next 3 years or so. If you change insurers, you have to declare the claim.

He doesn't lose his bonus if he has full bonus protection.

That's why its called full bonus protection.

It fully protects the bonus.

Yes, he would have to declare that he has had an accident but he would still be free to move to another insurer if they were happy to take him.

For such a small amount I wouldn't envision any difficulty whatsoever.

I just found a copy of my policy. According to my policy I have 2 optional extras: Step-back NCD and Protected NCD which are included with my policy.

Yes, he would have to declare that he has had an accident but he would still be free to move to another insurer if they were happy to take him.

I get that it fully protects the bonus. But, if the insurance company decides to increase premiums across the board for whatever reason, the OP cant shop around because declaring a claim to other insurers would likely increase the premium to above what he would be paying with the current insurer.

In any case, if it was 300 or less to repair, I personally would sort it out myself. And I have full bonus protection on my own policy.

I get that it fully protects the bonus. But, if the insurance company decides to increase premiums across the board for whatever reason, the OP cant shop around because declaring a claim to other insurers would likely increase the premium to above what he would be paying with the current insurer.

In any case, if it was 300 or less to repair, I personally would sort it out myself. And I have full bonus protection on my own policy.

that's what I plan to do anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I can only speak with 100% certainty for the company I work for but we do not charge a driver more if they have have had a claim.

We will quote them if the claim amount is below a certain level and they will be charged the same as someone that has had no claims.

As far as I'm aware that's the norm in the market.

When I worked in a brokers there was also no difference. If companies are happy to quote then they didnt apply "special" rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Would AVIVA have any scheme / options for the car to be repaired at a nominated repairer with a better rate for the job and or a reduced excess if the work is done by that repairer ?

I had an accident about 5 years ago. My insurers - RSA - nominated a repairer to supply an estimate. If car was repaired there the excess would have been lower.

It so happened that I had a claim against the other motorist who was at fault and got a quick settlement out of them. Therefore, I was able to get the car repaired by a main dealer so it didn't matter financially. However, if AVIVA do likewise it might help OP to get a proper repair done and they might be able to reimburse AVIVA if the final bill is not too high.

UrbanFox wrote: »
    Would AVIVA have any scheme / options for the car to be repaired at a nominated repairer with a better rate for the job and or a reduced excess if the work is done by that repairer ?

I had an accident about 5 years ago. My insurers - RSA - nominated a repairer to supply an estimate. If car was repaired there the excess would have been lower.

It so happened that I had a claim against the other motorist who was at fault and got a quick settlement out of them. Therefore, I was able to get the car repaired by a main dealer so it didn't matter financially. However, if AVIVA do likewise it might help OP to get a proper repair done and they might be able to reimburse AVIVA if the final bill is not too high.

Just called Aviva and because I have the Protected NCD on my policy, I won't be penalised for making any claims!

You're also correct about the nominated crash repairs. Apparently if I go with one of these, my excess will only be €225 compared to €300 with anyone else. The 1st repair shop I went to recommended a complete door replacement.

Anyway, i'm happy I won't be penalised for this claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

The no claims bonus protection fully protects the bonus but not the premium, the insurance company will definitely increase the premium i'd say. But OP it would be good if you reported back at renewal time.

Advertisement