Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a J1

Options
  • 27-11-2016 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Thinking of going on a J1 next year as with my course this summer will be my only chance.
    I know USIT charge around 700 for the paper work/visa/job listings etc and it should be around 500 for flights if i buy them at the right time?
    But im assuming there are other costs of getting there/setting up out there.
    I dont expect to come home with any money but it would be nice to able to save to travel for the last 2 weeks.
    Does anyone have any experience of this? plz and thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

USIT make you book your flights with them - usually far more expensive than €500 unfortunately..

You need at least €1000 to go over with - the Embassy will request bank statements and you may be asked at the border for proof of funds before being allowed entry.

In conclusion, USIT are an absolute racket. I think SAYIT may be marginally cheaper (but still a rip off).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Thinking of going on a J1 next year as with my course this summer will be my only chance.
    I know USIT charge around 700 for the paper work/visa/job listings etc and it should be around 500 for flights if i buy them at the right time?
    But im assuming there are other costs of getting there/setting up out there.
    I dont expect to come home with any money but it would be nice to able to save to travel for the last 2 weeks.
    Does anyone have any experience of this? plz and thanks

From past experience, SAYIT is cheaper and much better to deal with. Give them a go!

Where are you thinking of going on the J1? Cost of living varies a lot.

Best bit of advice I'd give is to plan as much as you can in advance, and don't pay for accomodation without viewing it first! Loads of j1 scams!

Advertisement