Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Router for Eir FTTH 1Gb/s

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Setting up 3rd party kit to forward the IPTV streams for EirVision could end up being a right pain in the face, just so you're forewarned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

ED E wrote: »
    Setting up 3rd party kit to forward the IPTV streams for EirVision could end up being a right pain in the face, just so you're forewarned.

Yeah I had that in the back of my mind alright that could be a problem. I have only six months left with that eVision crap anyway.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't know if its in my imagination but I feel that I'm not getting the best of of my FTTH

It might be worthwhile checking that out more thoroughly to be sure you are dealing with a problem, in fact or in imagination ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

Did you ever buy another router for your FTTH connection?

I'm wondering what connection type I need to enter on the new router or do I have to bridge the HUAWEI F2000 to any new router?

I'd rather connect it directly if possible but I'm not sure what the settings in the screenshot attached relate to in a Netgear or Asus router. I've an Asus RT-AC66U I'd like to use if possible..

mcquaim wrote: »
    Did you ever buy another router for your FTTH connection?

I'm wondering what connection type I need to enter on the new router or do I have to bridge the HUAWEI F2000 to any new router?

I'd rather connect it directly if possible but I'm not sure what the settings in the screenshot attached relate to in a Netgear or Asus router. I've an Asus RT-AC66U I'd like to use if possible..

No I didn't after all, I have eVision and it was mentioned that i could have trouble getting that to work with the new router and I have enough trouble with that as it is so i decided to leave it alone.

Also I did some drilling (don't tell the missus) to enable me run a 5e cable to where I had my other eVision box, Xbox and desk for my laptop so now these are all hardwired which of brilliant previously I was using a home plug :(

So now its just the phones in the house are on wifi and the F2000 is more than capable 250+ mb/s on my iPad air 2 so that's ok for Netflix :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

I'm finding the wifi range on the F2000 to be pretty poor, and this house isn't exactly big or solidly built as it's a timber frame build..

I've been trying between yesterday eve and lunchtime to get an Asus to hook up to the ONT but it's not playing ball :(

I don't seem to be getting assigned an ip on the Asus, the F2000 works fine..

I'd be running cables too if this wasn't a rental place, homeplugs to the office and main TV with PS4 Netflix etc :(

I must drop Eir an email, must be something I'm doing wrong..

It should be straight forward enough but there are one or two settings to change I'm not an IT man but I'm sure someone on here will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I'll be getting an F2000 router from Eir soon with FTTH - want to slip it in to my existing network with as little fuss as possible.
    Will I have access to change the IP address to like 192.168.5.1 ? Want to directly replace my current router
    Cheers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

long_b wrote: »
    I'll be getting an F2000 router from Eir soon with FTTH - want to slip it in to my existing network with as little fuss as possible.
    Will I have access to change the IP address to like 192.168.5.1 ? Want to directly replace my current router
    Cheers !

Yes, no problem. It's not a bad router, quite capble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Not sure if this is the right thread for this.
    I was wondering if anyone could help me find a solution to get the best out of my Eir FTTH service.
    I'm on the 300mb plan, but I'm currently only getting just over half of that. I think this is because my F2000 Modem is placed in the storage compartment under the stairs, which is also covered by a door. When the engineer installed it, this was the only place they could fit it.

One solutions I was looking at, was to use a Powerline Adapter.
    It's mainly the SkyQ box and PS4 I want max speeds for, so the above would cover both, however, I would still be presented with an issue from my mobile devices, as the signal is not great when I go upstairs.

Another thing I was looking at was getting a new router,
    But I am not sure if I would experience the same issues with this because it will also be in a bad location, and the performance may not differ from the current F2000

Does anyone have any advice or another solution that I am not thinking off for getting the best speeds around my home.

• Advertisement

I'm on the 300mb plan, but I'm currently only getting just over half of that.

How and where are you measuring that?
    Is that wired with Cat5e/Cat6 cable or via wireless?

Powerline adapters won't do any good if it is speed you are concerned about.

What do you need the greater speed on Sky Q box for ...... streaming content from internet?

How and where are you measuring that?
    Is that wired with Cat5e/Cat6 cable or via wireless?

Powerline adapters won't do any good if it is speed you are concerned about.

What do you need the greater speed on Sky Q box for ...... streaming content from internet?

I am measuring the speeds with the Oakla speed test app on various devices over Wi-Fi.
    Download speeds range from 30Mbps to 290Mbps.
    When I run the speed tests, the best results are returned when I am closer to the modem.
    The set up under the stairs looks like this
    The yellow cable in this picture is a Cat5 cable plugged directly into the F2000 modem.
    All devices in the house connect to this over Wi-Fi.

I use the SkyQ box for downloading box sets and movies, which is very slow at the moment.

kerplun k wrote: »
    All devices in the house connect to this over Wi-Fi.

You really don't need the 300Mb package.

Good point, I was thinking about upgrading to the 1GB package.

Good point, I was thinking about upgrading to the 1GB package.

Huh?

Huh?

I’m looking for advice on maximizing my internet speeds at home. If possible I'd like to avoid drilling holes.
    Eir FTTH offer speeds of 150Mb, 300Mb or 1,000Mb.
    Work pay for my BB so I could easily switch to the 1,000Mb service at no cost.
    I was just looking for advice on maximizing speeds around my home.

I’m looking for advice on maximizing my internet speeds at home. If possible I'd like to avoid drilling holes.
    FTTH offer speeds of 150Mb, 300Mb or 1,000Mb.

Changing the FTTH provided speeds at this time will have no effect on how you manage your internal connections and their speed.

Wifi is always going to have more problems (speed, drop-outs, interference from other electrical devices etc) than a wired system.
    If you want to maximise the LAN speed then you must go wired.

If you want to get the best you can, then you need to ensure all your devices can connect at the fastest wifi speeds and distribute the wifi signal throughout the home from multiple repeaters or by other (more?) suitable means.

Changing the FTTH provided speeds at this time will have no effect on how you manage your internal connections and their speed.

Wifi is always going to have more problems (speed, drop-outs, interference from other electrical devices etc) than a wired system.
    If you want to maximise the LAN speed then you must go wired.

If you want to get the best you can, then you need to ensure all your devices can connect at the fastest wifi speeds and distribute the wifi signal throughout the home from multiple repeaters or by other (more?) suitable means.

Thanks.
    Yep. I'd like to wire all the stationary devices such as PS4, Cloud storage, SkyQ, etc., but the Eir modem is placed in an awkward position.

I used to have virgin media and the connection point and modem was in the sitting room, so It was easier to wire everything up.

I'd like to have a similar set up, but I’m not too keen to start drilling holes.

I'd like to have a similar set up, but I’m not too keen to start drilling holes.

If you want faster speeds you've no choice. The best thing to do is disable wireless on the f2000 and cable to a central location and add a decent wireless access point

Eir FTTH offer speeds of 150Mb, 300Mb or 1,000Mb.

Pissing away your employers money.

Downgrade to 150Mb. In a wireless deployment you'll practically never see the benefit of a connection thats any faster. Even powerline tops out around there if not lower.

• Advertisement

Cheers, thanks for the tips.
    I'll give the powerline a go. I see this one advertises speeds of 2gb.

Ive never used a wifi extender, so I might try this as well, and see if it improves the wifi speeds.

If I don't get the results I want, I might disable the SSID broadcast from the F2000 and drill a hole in the storage compartment and mount a decent router to the ceiling in the hall.

Pissing away your employers money.

Downgrade to 150Mb. In a wireless deployment you'll practically never see the benefit of a connection thats any faster. Even powerline tops out around there if not lower.

Agreed, which is why I'm looking for advise on getting the most out of it.

If I don't get the results I want, I might disable the SSID broadcast from the F2000 and drill a hole in the storage compartment and mount a decent router to the ceiling in the hall.

Do this. Forget the powerline. Buy this instead
    Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LITE WLAN Access Point https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gFj9Ab7SWY9ZY

Do this. Forget the powerline. Buy this instead
    Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LITE WLAN Access Point https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gFj9Ab7SWY9ZY

Thanks a mill for this.
    I was doing a bit of research and this looks like a fantastic option.

Thanks a mill for this.
    I was doing a bit of research and this looks like a fantastic option.

They can be ceiling or wall mounted. A ceiling is a great place to cover your house from, gives great coverage. It'll come with a power over Ethernet adapter so your can power it from beside the f2000 and only need one cable.

They can be ceiling or wall mounted. A ceiling is a great place to cover your house from, gives great coverage. It'll come with a power over Ethernet adapter so your can power it from beside the f2000 and only need one cable.

Cheers.
    Ordered. I'll let you know how I get on. :D

She’s finally up.
    Hat tip to Horse Brigade,
    Getting constant speeds betwwen 250Mbps and 296Mbps across all wireless devices.
    The range has also been greatly improved.
    Its easy as pie to set up and comes with a nice little app to monitor and configure.
    A great solution for anyone unhappy with Eirs standard modem.
    She’s pretty as well which is a bonus, the g/f doesnt seem to be bothered by it.

Advertisement