Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New puppy-quick q

• 27-11-2016 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

So just picked up a new puppy this morning from a rescue to add to our two other dogs!!
    Now I picked him up at 11 this morn and completely forgot to ask what they had been feeding him. Bought him home and offered him some chicken (no he won't be getting that every day!!) and no interest. He hasn't eaten since and he hasn't wee'ed since around 12 this morn. It's been a while since we had a puppy this young I estimate three months. Is he ok or should I be concerned?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Can you not give the rescue a call, no? Pup is probably too stressed to eat, but at that age they need to eat an enormous amount of food, particularly if a larger breed, and they should be fed 4 times per day (as long as they'll eat at each mealtime)... So I'd be a bit worried that he hasn't eaten all day... Unusual to turn down chicken too. Could you try a bit of a chickeny, potato-y, carroty mash with some well diluted stock?
    No wees since 12pm is pretty extraordinary at that age... They usually pee about once or twice per hour at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

That's pretty much what I gave him-chicken casserole....yeah I'm a bit worried myself. Havnt see him drinking either....now the only thing is he's in great spirits followed us all around all day and camped out sleeping in his bed the last couple of hours.il try him again with some food!!that doesn't work I'll call the rescue!!

Any interest in your other dogs' food? Hopefully he's just a bit overawed and will feel better after a snooze :)

No see our dogs get fed in the morning and separately due to a greedy guts of a Labrador!!
    He just got sick there as well....hope it's just a small tummy bug but if he isn't eating tomorrow he won't be in a good place....
    Doesn't seem to nervy or overawed either.....
    Argh-wish dogs could talk!!!

I more meant if you've offered him any of your other dogs' food? Assuming they're on dry, maybe all he knows is dry food. The puking could be because of his tummy being empty. Or he's coming down with something... No eating, no drinking, no peeing... I would be getting concerned now. I'd certainly have called the rescue by now too.

• Advertisement

I did call-no ans!! Tried dry food and he turned up his nose there!!!
    I know in worried myself! Don't really know what to do at this stage is there anyway of telling if a puppy is dehydrated?

Yes, if you lift the skin on his back and it doesn't spring back into place within a second or two, the pup is likely to be dehydrated. Have you any ham, or tinned food that you could try him with? Sometimes you just need to get them started and they'll get stuck in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

If he doesn't drink for you, try and get some water into him with a syringe. It will keep him going until you can get him to a vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dubjay

maybe keep him inside and feed him separate just this once he probably is too nervous. there is good stuff called revive i got it when my pup was dehydrated

Thanks for everyone's replies...turns out I was right to be worried.poor little guy has parvo he must have got it at the shelter. He's at the vets now but isn't doing great....fingers crossed he will be ok....
    he's a little fighter so I'm hoping he fights through it!

• Advertisement

That's what I was afraid of OP :( Didn't want to scare you.
    Fingers crossed for the little man, it sounds like you got him help early.
    Keep us posted, won't you? :(

PS Did you talk to your vet about the implications for your own dogs (probably okay if their vaccinations are up to date). Also have a think about whether you ever have other dogs visiting. You probably need to do a deep clean of everything the pup was in contact with.

Yes thankfully our other dog got her vaccinations3weeks ago!!!
    The Labrador none of us can remember if he got vaccinations but he is over 11so should be ok the vet said-that makes us sound like v bad owners but he stays close to home and never gets sick so wasn't bought to the vets much.
    We don't ever have dogs visiting here luckily but I'll have to do a deep clean anyway just in case!! I know here is hoping but I'll let you know how he goesðŸ™

Poor little man, hope he'll be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Poor little pup, hope he pulls through :( Did you get onto the rescue to let them know OP?

Yeah I did.tbf I rang her and text her last night and she text back saying the litter mate wasn't eating either. She rang this morning to see how he was as well and I text her letting her know the results.i think she suspected it herself.feel sorry for them as they are inundated there at the moment 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I read this post yesterday & I just knew it was going to be parvo but did not want to scare you. Fingers crossed that he recovers & thinking of you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Hows the puppy today OP? Hope you got him to the vet on time. HORRIBLE for you to have your lovely puppy in trouble the day you got him :(

Vets are keeping him tonight. He is still on an IV they said there is a slight improvement but it's still early days. Poor little guy-he is in the best place for him anyway so here is hoping!! He is deff a little fighter so hope that stands to him
    Thanks for all the comments!!

Thanks for the update... Phew! I opened this thread with a knot in my tummy tbh :o
    We're all rooting for the little man, and as you say, he's in the right place for him to have the best chance of getting through this'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Any update on the little man OP? Everything's crossed for him here......

• Advertisement

Thanks jomalone. He is still the same which isn't a good sign. The other puppy from the litter sadly passed away but my fella is a fighter.he has stopped vomiting which is something and I think tomorrow will have a decision either way.heartbreaking-I was in tears on the phone to the vet! Really hope he pulls through!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Ach no, I'm sorry to hear that. Even though you have had him such a short time he has found his place in your hearts.
    Please God he will be in much better form tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I guess L1985 hasn't been on yet today, but just to say I've been following this too, as I'm sure have others. Really really hope you get better news this morning.
    Thinking of you all, and poor little pup.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Ok so a non update.he is still with us thank god but the issue is he isn't feeding on his own. I don't really know what to make of it so have asked the nurse to call me back. I keep being told he isn't any worse but he still doesn't seem to be getting any better....

If he's no worse, I would take that as a good sign. He's on a drip so he's getting fluids. I'd be inclined to wait this out and give him more time... Parvo makes their tummies very sick which puts them off eating, but if he's given more time and offered very easy but tasty paste (Royal Canin do little tins of recovery food which is brilliant for weak or inappetant dogs) he'll hopefully pick at it. I assume they're offering him something like this.

No he hasn't eaten at all since Sunday-just getting food syringed into him. I think that's their major concern. I just want to get an idea of where the poor little guy is at as they are saying everyday that he is still the same....he must be so stressed in there as well. Hopefully the nurse can give me a better idea...

He's getting fluids. He's getting fed.
    Recovery from Parvo is not going to happen quickly. The fact that he is remaining relatively stable is, when it comes to Parvo, good news.
    He only stopped vomiting yesterday. Just give him time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Parvo is an awful thing to get and it can take days to come right. I remember when i was working in a vets years ago there was a little dog with Parvo and he was there for quite a while, but he pulled through. The fact he is still the same is good and that he's not going downhill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

Fingers crossed, hope he pulls through

• Advertisement

Thanks guys that's reassuring. I think I keep comparing him to a calf with scour and if they hadn't improved at this stage it's a v bad sign.!!the vets are prob deliberately downplaying slightly as well so as to not give false hope.
    Never realised how serious it could be-will be more on top of any other dogs I get vaccination wise although there was nothing I could do with this fella.

Hi OP, my dog came out of the pound with a terrible virus (probably parvo, but vet didn't say that). He was only 12 weeks old and was very ill, with horrendous, foul smelling diarrhoea and wouldn't eat or drink. He was on a drip for four days and daily updates from the vet were very disheartening "still the same" every day.

On day four, he rallied and started eating again and I was allowed to take him home that evening, that was 4 years ago and there's not a bother on him now.

i know every case is different but the fact that he's no worse must be a little bit hopeful. I really hope you get good news in the next few days.

Fake diamond thanks for that-v encouraging. Spoke to a nurse there and got more info. Two of the other poor puppies died but my guy is still hanging in. His comittjnbrg is stopped and he hasn't as much diarrhoea. She said all they can do really is give him fluids until his body is able to fight it but he is fighting it. She thinks he will be in for the weekend but there was a note of positivity. She said staying the same in encouraging with parvo so please god!!!we just bought him a doggy bed-positive thinking!!!

Well I was afraid to tell his story as i know not everyone gets the fairytale ending, but i thought you could do with hearing a positive story of parvovirus. It's an awful ordeal for a little dog to go through, but some do make it.

Keep the faith, he has a whole doggie community rooting for him, surely that counts for something if the universe is listening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Keep checking for updates to the thread. Were rooting for the little fella OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Keep checking to see if your poor pup is ok. Exact same thing happened to me with bonnie, our gsd/ collie cross. Got her from the pound on the Saturday, a few days later she was in the vets with parvovirus, fighting for her life. She didn't eat until day 5. She pulled through and 12 years later, she's still running around driving us demented with her antics so please don't give up hope, we've all got our fingers and paws crossed for you.

• Advertisement

So quick update. They syringed the max amount of food thy could into him. He got sick once but that is to be expected. She said it all depends on how his body holds the food and what comes out the other end. So should have a further update tomorrow morn...please god it's good news!!

All paws crossed here!

Ok an update for jaspers supporters. He is being syringed fed still but it looks like the vomiting and diarrhoea has stopped which looks positive. He still isn't eating on his own which is the Next big step but it all seems a lot more positive!!! So thanks for all of the good thoughts going his way as they seem to be working!!please keep them up and we can hand him home soon!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Come on jasper!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Good news. Hopefully he keeps fighting x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭volchitsa

L1985 wrote: »
    Ok an update for jaspers supporters. He is being syringed fed still but it looks like the vomiting and diarrhoea has stopped which looks positive. He still isn't eating on his own which is the Next big step but it all seems a lot more positive!!! So thanks for all of the good thoughts going his way as they seem to be working!!please keep them up and we can hand him home soon!!

I don't know a lot about parvovirus, but to me that sounds like fantastic news. Not eating is a temporary thing and can be compensated for while he gets his strength back up, but it's the vomiting and diarrhoea that's so dangerous. Like for children I suppose.

Be sure and keep us updated, won't you? All fingers crossed here!

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

That's my understanding as well-however I'm comparing him to a calf so....
    I won't really have an update till Monday I think but let's just pray he keeps going the way he is and starts eating! I have to keep an eye on our collie as well as she's only a year and was vaccinated a month ago-not a bother in her at the moment and she just robbed the cats food so no Probs with her eating either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SleazyGaryR

Parvovirus is nasty! Hope your dog gets better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

One of mine got parvo from the pound. She was 3/4 months old at the time and very tiny and frail cus she had been dumped. She done well tho and had no lasting health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Had he any vaccinations at all before you got him?

Good to hear all the positive stories!!.they were found in a ditch and bought coincidentally to the same vets he is at now. They vaccinated him on the Friday and I picked him on the Sunday. They said it incubates for around 2weeks before the symptoms start showing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

L1985 wrote: »
    Good to hear all the positive stories!!.they were found in a ditch and bought coincidentally to the same vets he is at now. They vaccinated him on the Friday and I picked him on the Sunday. They said it incubates for around 2weeks before the symptoms start showing.

Thats actually why most rescues keep dogs for at least 2 weeks before vaccinating, pointless vaccinating an ill dog. They keep the dogs for the 2 weeks, vaccinate, and rehome.

Good point. Tbf the Rescue is over run so I'm not going to judge them for it-hindsight is great but when your under pressure I suppose rules get bent. We wanted a specific type of dog as well and he looked v healthy and they had him so....I would prob be a bit more wary in future myself thou re vaccinations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

L1985, I've been following this thread and just want you to know my household is rooting for little Jasper to pull through and have a wonderful life with you. Keep fighting, Jasper.

Just another thing to be aware of, and it's a bit of a bugbear of mine (I can say this as I run a rescue myself), there is still a tendency in some rescues to vaccinate incoming pups themselves, with no pre-checks that vets do prior to vaccinating.
    Many rescues have learned their lesson the hard way through losing pups by vaccinating them when the pups (a) have not been quarantined and (b) when pups were in the early pre-symptom stages of Parvo.... vaccinating an already-infected pup is very close to a death sentence, and so most rescues have stopped this self-vaccination, and have the vet do it.
    I say pre-symptom.... one symptom of Parvo even before the sickness begins is a raised temperature. It is quite rare to hear of pups that have been vaccinated by vets being stricken with Parvo days later, because vets won't vaccinated pups that are running a temperature. It generally only happens in rescues who vaccinate the incoming pups/dogs themselves.
    I won't lie to you OP, I've a fair idea that the sanctuary where you got your pup is one of the ones that still does this. I know you want to give them a pass because they're under pressure, but this is going on all the time with them, your pup's litter is not a one-off.
    And this is the hub of my bugbear. We're ALL under pressure with unwanted dogs. But sometimes, as rescues we are better to say no, and to take in only what we can manage... to keep the dogs we do take in healthy, rather than to take them all and lose half of them :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement