Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light/Easy reading

• 27-11-2016 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a light easy to read and possibly funny book for bedtime reading. Just finished the last ross O Carroll kelly, something along that vein. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Anything by Elmore Leonard. Really enjoyable crime novels.I'd recommend Out of Sight, it's the best of his I've read so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Changing Places - David Lodge
    Elliot Allagash - Simon Rich

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Terry Pratchett maybe?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

P. G. Wodehouse. Any of The Jeeves short stories. Just because it goes down easy doesn't mean it isn't brilliant stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Thomas_...

Finisched the book "Unleashing Demons" by Craig Oliver who tells the Story of the Brexit campaign from the UK government angle and covers the time space from January 2016 to the end of June 2016, with some chapters about the aftermath. Although the subject wasn't that what I would call an easy reading, the reading of the book itself was and that was due to the writing style of the author (Craig Oliver). He gives a good insight on what went on behind the Scenes, the way he often felt let down by the media, even the BBC, when it was about important issues that should have been covered by the media in the debate about the Brexit Referendum. Also some well known politicians from both sides of the political spectrum appear in that book with all their hidden agendas, lazyness, opportunistic attitudes and - one has to spell it out frankly - even deliberate lying to the public.

All in all, a good reading, but the subject really made me sick about politics eventhough I wasn't that surprised when reading about some characters in British politics and the media. For everyone who has a deeper interest in what went down the road during this decisive first half year of 2016, that book is really recommendable for its content and fluent non-academic writing style that makes it an easy reading, although some of the chapters are really frustrating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement