Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Housing Developments Limerick

• 27-11-2016 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭

Interesting to see there is limited if any new developments in the pipeline for Limerick.

Potentially I'm wrong, but bar Rhebogue and Castletroy, is there anything else going on development wise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It will be a while before we see many major developments, outside of Castletroy and Annacotty there is very little happening, this will have an impact on jobs growth.

The problem is our house prices, to buy a site and build a 3 bed semi, pay taxes, you would need the price of the house to be north of 250k, or thereabouts. Our low house prices are much more complex than people realise, so I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The biggest problem is the attitude of the state, instead of decreasing (by reducing tax) the cost of building a 3 bed semi, they seem to want to push the price up...this is lunacy of the highest order...saddling families with huge mortgages is something we should be desperately trying to avoid...we know where it gets us!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

myshirt wrote: »
    Interesting to see there is limited if any new developments in the pipeline for Limerick.

Potentially I'm wrong, but bar Rhebogue and Castletroy, is there anything else going on development wise?

There's a pretty big development going in on the Old Cork Road by the filling station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭goochy

What about ghost estates in limerick , many left ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭goochy

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

goochy wrote: »

Evanwood was one very big notable one but that was rescued and has been turned into a pretty decent looking place. Plenty more building to get before it's completed yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

There is planning permission gone in for 66 houses behind Knockhill on the Ennis road. Basically beside Na Piarsaigh GAA.

http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/161009/0

There's also Ros Mor on the Ballyneety Rd but I don't know anything about their quality or location. They are pretty cheap though.

wigsa100 wrote: »
    There's also Ros Mor on the Ballyneety Rd but I don't know anything about their quality or location. They are pretty cheap though.

THats the same development mentioned above being on the Old Cork Road. Not sure where they got calling it the balyneety road from as anyone I know (including people living out there) call it the old cork road. It does lead to Ballyneety I suppose.

Seem like pretty good quality in fairness. I went for a quick look and they seemed to be all solid walls where as the ones in Evanwood were like paper in comparison. The back gardens are virtually non existent though.

Having just looked up the location on the map, it's not the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

New houses being built / added to Bloomfield opposite Castletroy college- looks like they're just over ground level currently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

New small development on Church Road, Raheen called Kingsfort - right across from the Body Building!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Having just looked up the location on the map, it's not the best.

Went to see those houses and thought it felt cold in the show house. Mind you the front door was left open during a very wet day.

The finish is not as good either compared to the other new houses IMO but you do get value as it's slightly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

Jofspring wrote: »
    THats the same development mentioned above being on the Old Cork Road. Not sure where they got calling it the balyneety road from as anyone I know (including people living out there) call it the old cork road. It does lead to Ballyneety I suppose.

Seem like pretty good quality in fairness. I went for a quick look and they seemed to be all solid walls where as the ones in Evanwood were like paper in comparison. The back gardens are virtually non existent though.

Wall Spec in Evanwood is top class, I don't think they'd get the A rating with paper

EXTERNAL WALLS:
    355mm TIMBER FRAMED CAVITY WALLS AS PER PLANS CONSISTING OF
    100mm BRICK/BLOCKWORK OUTER LEAF , 50MM CAVITY, BREATHER MEMBRANE, 9MM OSB,
    195MM X 38MM C16 TIMBER FRAME (TO INCLUDE 50mm SERVICE CAVITY),120MM RIGID INSULATION,
    VAPOUR CHECK LAYER, 12MM PLASTERBOARD WITH MIN. 3MM PAINTED SKIM FINISH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

All this low density housing development on the outskirts is just going to create a lot of problems for us down the road. We should really be building apartment blocks that can be well serviced by public transport if we're building anything. I mean decent apartments, not like the real low quality stuff that went up during the Celtic Tiger.

zulutango wrote: »
    All this low density housing development on the outskirts is just going to create a lot of problems for us down the road. We should really be building apartment blocks that can be well serviced by public transport if we're building anything. I mean decent apartments, not like the real low quality stuff that went up during the Celtic Tiger.

While I agree, I think people would be reluctant to purchase apartments in the city when they can have a nice house in a quiet area 10 minutes away from it for a very competitive price by national standards.

People do seem to be moving into Joseph St/Wolfe Tone St area but a far better version of the living city initiative, along with an extensive renovation (essentially gentrification) of entire blocks of the Georgian quarter is badly needed to make the city an attractive place to live in my opinion.

It's tragic really that people aren't clambering over one another to live in such a beautiful, historic district.

Jose Maria wrote: »
    Wall Spec in Evanwood is top class, I don't think they'd get the A rating with paper

EXTERNAL WALLS:
    195MM X 38MM C16 TIMBER FRAME (TO INCLUDE 50mm SERVICE CAVITY),120MM RIGID INSULATION,

I don't think that has much to do with soundproofing though. Having tried to sleep there on one occasion, I can confirm that the floor on the first floor and walls are very thin. Sound travels right around the house, which put me off the place a lot. Having said that the people I know don't seem to have an issue with it, and I live on my own so I'm used to things being very quiet.

They are lovely houses all the same.

While I agree, I think people would be reluctant to purchase apartments in the city when they can have a nice house in a quiet area 10 minutes away from it for a very competitive price by national standards.

People do seem to be moving into Joseph St/Wolfe Tone St area but a far better version of the living city initiative, along with an extensive renovation (essentially gentrification) of entire blocks of the Georgian quarter is badly needed to make the city an attractive place to live in my opinion.

It's tragic really that people aren't clambering over one another to live in such a beautiful, historic district.

I fully agree with the above. I'd just say that if the apartments are well designed then people will be happy to live in them. The Strand is a good example of the standard that should be a minimum. Most apartment developments are a long way off this.

The other thing is that the more houses that are built on the outskirts, the less likely that 10 minute easy drive will be. Public transport for these kinds of development is very hard to provide, so people will be car dependent, and there'll be greatly increased traffic volumes. And that's really only the start of the problem. People like to blame the Crescent for the 'donut effect' in Limerick, and the decline of the city centre, but it's really got far more to do with the residential development and the positioning of large institutions and industries on the outskirts.

We have to put a stop to this and/or massively incentivise development (residential, office, educational, etc) in the centre. Until we do one of the above then the rot will continue.

Jose Maria wrote: »

EXTERNAL WALLS:

Fair enough if that's the spec. I found he walls between rooms to be like paper though. A little tap gave a completely hollow sound. It's not something I'd like to have in my own house.

Not a fan personally of most new builds. They all seem to be one sitting room and one kitchen/dining area. It doesn't really open up to much space if you have a couple of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

A substantial amount of cash (can't remember how much) has been allocated to a demonstration project in the latest council budget so fingers crossed it stirs up demand. I for one would love to live in an apartment in one of these buildings.

pigtown wrote:
    A substantial amount of cash (can't remember how much) has been allocated to a demonstration project in the latest council budget so fingers crossed it stirs up demand. I for one would love to live in an apartment in one of these buildings.

I live in one, and it's great. I think the demonstration block is a nice idea but it's barking up the wrong tree, or at the very least over-complicating the problem. People will happily buy, rent, renovate these buildings themselves if the areas are seen as nice places to live.

• Advertisement

In case the above is not clear, the focus should be on developing civic spaces rather than renovating buildings, because if you do the former the latter will naturally follow. I don't get the impression that the Council quite get that (the plans for O'Connell Street notwithstanding), even though its proven the world over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The next phase at Caiaslean na habhann is going fo prices at 260,000 while Rhebogue is getting a new scheme starting at 200k.

Looks like another housing bubble Ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Mc Love wrote: »
    New small development on Church Road, Raheen called Kingsfort - right across from the Body Building!

Absolutely no excuse not to go to the gym there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I have been out in Evanwood. I have mixed feelings. It is a good location, but awkward perhaps. Would like to have seen a slice of mixed use development taking place. You still need the car there for as much as a run to the shop to get milk.

Prices are competitive.

At least in Limerick there are options for first time buyers at the moment. Think Cork. Think Dublin.

You couldn't pay me to buy a place in Rhebogue, it's everything that went wrong with the regeneration.

Regarding the demonstration block, what is that exactly? Are the Council going to develop one of the blocks into apartments/townhouses as an incentive for others to do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

You couldn't pay me to buy a place in Rhebogue, it's everything that went wrong with the regeneration.

Regarding the demonstration block, what is that exactly? Are the Council going to develop one of the blocks into apartments/townhouses as an incentive for others to do the same?

I haven't seen any plans for it but I imagine something like this is the intention. I can't see them being able to purchase and entire city block though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Built more high rise apartment compleses in the city centre.

Mutant z wrote: »
    Built more high rise apartment compleses in the city centre.

Medium rise anyway.

Building in the suburbs should be drastically curbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DroghedaTutor

Hi Pigtown, do you have a link (to a reference) to the council demonstration project you could pm me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

New development given the Green light near Mungret. A road has to be built first. Looking at the file there was considerable objection. I am not an engineer but the engineers reckon Quin's Cross Roundabout will be at 85% capacity AFTER the houses are there, 200 of them. Is that credible?

Also news to me that there is a Mungret heritage group.

Advertisement