Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall Plugs for SkyQ, etc.

Options
  • 27-11-2016 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Getting SkyQ next week. Reading how the mini boxes work means that I need a strong network connection between the main box and two mini boxes.

At the minute, our Sky Box is in a living room which is an extension on the house and the router is in a front room. They are about 20 meters apart.

The Sky box is using wireless via the external Sky Wi-Fi dongle which is just about ok. Slow for download and drops out occasionally, but we can live with it.

However, this will be a major issue for the SkyQ system as the mini boxes use tuners in the main Sky box which will be in this room and then the TV is streamed to the mini boxes over the Wi-Fi/network.

The other two rooms that will have the mini boxes have internet via TP-Link wall plugs that are about 3 or 4 years old. It works very well getting about 20mb from a router that has a 50mb connection.

We've tried these wall plugs in the living room extension, but they don't work which I presume is due to the distance and the fact it's on a different wiring circuit.

I've read that the latest wall plugs have better range. Is this the case? I don't want to fork out on a new set and realise I have the same issue.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

nylon-wall-plugs-250x250.jpg

Wont work...:D

I think you mean homeplugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

True, problem is homeplugs done work either! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tropheus wrote: »
    We've tried these wall plugs in the living room extension, but they don't work which I presume is due to the distance and the fact it's on a different wiring circuit.

Different ring or different customer unit("Fusebox")? They're very different things.

If its all from one customer unit then they can function across ring mains but its noise dependent as always. If the current ones completely fail to link there then the chances for newer EoPs to manage are pretty slim.

Pay somebody to wire it for you. Once and its done, no more worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

ED E wrote: »
    Different ring or different customer unit("Fusebox")? They're very different things.

If its all from one customer unit then they can function across ring mains but its noise dependent as always. If the current ones completely fail to link there then the chances for newer EoPs to manage are pretty slim.

Pay somebody to wire it for you. Once and its done, no more worrying.

Thanks, that's the conclusion I was coming to. I could possibly run the cable myself. A bit of a pain, but I've done it before for a HDMI link over CAT5.

Advertisement