Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro randomly shutting off on battery

Options
  • 28-11-2016 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

My Macbook Pro has started randomly shutting off while on battery. The battery was on about 70% charged last time it happened. The battery itself is at 90% health (see attachment) and I'm getting no battery warnings. It doesn't happen when plugged in, only when on battery.

Specifically, what happens is that the screen goes black, the fans fire up for a second or two and then the computer dies. If I hit the power button after this then it will go through the startup sequence as normal.

I've tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM but it didn't fix anything.

The Macbook itself is two years old and not under warranty anymore but this sounds like the kind of fault that would be covered under the 6 year cover that Irish Consumer Protection gives? What do people think? Battery issue or something more serious? What's the next step? Go to Apple?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Call apple. They are usually very good if you explain the problem calmly.

Advertisement