Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder costs

Options
  • 28-11-2016 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi there. I am just wondering if anyone could tell me how much on average childminders charge for two siblings per day. Say a three year old and a 10 month old? I've heard the full day rate for one child is approx €50 so I am just wondering how much it would be for two. I would be looking in the North Dublin area.
    At the moment I only have one baby who is in creche but we will hopefully be trying for number two in the next year or so and I'm getting so worried about the finances already. I am so worried that we literally won't be able to afford two.
    Also if I had one in montessori for a few hrs a day do you subtract those hours from the childminding cost or what way does that normally work?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

North Dublin here too - we are 65eur a day for two with a childminder (very lucky). Anecdotally, friends in the area pay anything from 60 - 80eur per for two.
    Unsure about the creche cost - possibly if you do the morning drop to the playschool, and the minder just picks them up, you could negotiate a half day? But I think if minder dropped off and picked up, then you would pay a full day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mrshaha

I am in Cork and also wondering if the childminder charges 50Euro normally, when the child starts 3 hours in montessori a day, when we drop the child ourselves and childminder only need to collect him 12:10 and minding him until 6? would you negotiate for a reduced cost>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Mrshaha wrote: »
    I am in Cork and also wondering if the childminder charges 50Euro normally, when the child starts 3 hours in montessori a day, when we drop the child ourselves and childminder only need to collect him 12:10 and minding him until 6? would you negotiate for a reduced cost>

Will you be taking all responsibility until 12.10 or will you need the minder on call if child is sick etc.?

I supposed this is a very good question, never thought of this. In this case, it is worthwhile to keep the same payment and keep the child minder happy... how about primary school time then? any difference?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

yes,primary school is usually an after school rate it varies but about 5 euro an hour.

When we used creches it was 2100 for 2 kids full time,creches subtract the ECCE amount when the child qualifies.

Different childminders charge different amounts but for 2 kids full time I would expect to pay 1200+ to a minder.
    Childminders can earn about 15k tax exempt so it often suits some to make just under this or the whole lot is taxable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

About the dropping the child off to playschool one thing I have learned about having a childminder is that a good one is like gold dust.
    Unlike a crèche which has to keep you as a customer no matter what, a CM can drop you like a hot potato at any time that suits them and take on another client that suits them better.
    I don't think a CM would accept to be paid less coz a child is in playschool, I think you'll be lucky to get one that is willing to drop off and collect from playschool and count your blessings if they agree to do this for you! If you start mentioning reduced costs etc they'll either take you on til they find someone better (and you'll be dropped as soon as they do) or else they'll say no to you outright. A good childminder is worth their weight in gold and they provide a service which is totally different to a crèche - They're like a 3rd parent for your child really so if you find a good one you'll want to pay that extra bit that'll mean that the CM will hang onto you.
    You soon realise once you get into the game it's all about making sure the CM is kept sweet to keep you on as a client, not the other way around!

Very true and thanks for reminding. Our childminder is already as a third parents to our child. She is very good. I don't mind paying the little extra. What I am concerning is when the child going to school, there are more expenditure then, whether I can afford the same rate. I know its long to go, but just wondering, have you any idea, whether it will be different from primary school, after care. thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I can't tell you OP, but what I can tell you (and my pair are now 2.5 and 10 months) is that you can't plan for this stuff. Seriously. I'd assume the worst, so to speak, so maybe assume the rates that you're on right now is what it'll be. But if I've learned anything in the last year it's that you really can't plan out all of this and you will adapt to the situations as you go, you will find ways to manage all of these things when the time comes, be it with a CM, creche, your hours reducing, new job, neighbours helping, etc.

I know it's not the most helpful but it's been a steep learning curve.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Mrshaha if it's a long way off don't worry about it.
    I think if you are going to ask the childminder to accept reduced pay then you need to have Plan B in place in case the CM gives your child their P45 due to the reduced pay. As long as you have a back up plan, then you can always go ahead and ask the CM to accept reduced pay when your child starts proper big school.

Advertisement