Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tacx Flow vs Tacx Vortex

Options
  • 28-11-2016 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,

I'm looking to get myself a turbo for the winter. I'm a fairly weak cyclist and would like to increase my fitness while avoiding the cold.

I'd like to use trainerroad and am on a budget so I've narrowed it down to the Flow and the Vortex. I've done a good google and can't find much about the differences between them. Does any one know anything about them? The flow is significantly cheaper than the vortex so I'm wondering what I'd be missing out on if i got the flow.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The biggest difference will be the elevation resistance.

The flow covers 0-6% perfectly suitable for someone at your level.

The vortex can simulate gradients from 0-12%

If I were to choose I'd go with the flow. It may not cover the steepest of gradients but it has all the essentials for zwift etc covered. Ant+,electronic brake etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

Im just waiting for my 3rd Tacx Flow replacement to arrive. had the other two for a few weeks each and then they developed a clicking sound from the brake. When they worked they were great and thats why im sticking with it and getting another one. Had to buy an ANT+ dongle, ( Suunto MoveStick) to get it working with TrainerRoad and Zwift but it had worked well. Im no pro, have been cycling just a few years, but i didn't find it lacking.

That's interesting Lemon3 I'm on my third replacement also the first went down with the clicking noise. It seems to be the magnet housing shifts slightly and when misaligned the magnets hit one another.

The second the ant+ connectivity failed on it.

The third is going well so far but it hasn't moved from where it easy set up. I don't think they take much abuse unlike the standard trainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That's interesting Lemon3 I'm on my third replacement also the first went down with the clicking noise. It seems to be the magnet housing shifts slightly and when misaligned the magnets hit one another.

The second the ant+ connectivity failed on it.

The third is going well so far but it hasn't moved from where it easy set up. I don't think they take much abuse unlike the standard trainers.

I really hope this one works out, should have it Wednesday, as I have bought into computer training and don't want to either revert to a dumb trainer or have to spend more money on something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Red_Open

Did you guys get them in halfords? are they easy to deal with if it goes wrong?

• Advertisement

Red_Open wrote: »
    Did you guys get them in halyards? are they easy to deal with if it goes wrong?

Yes and yes no issues with replacement no questions asked. Replaced with a new one from stock there and then. If you buy one tape the receipt to the inside of one of the legs it'll ensure you wont lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Red_Open

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Yes and yes no issues with replacement no questions asked. Replaced with a new one from stock there and then. If you buy one tape the receipt to the inside of one of the legs it'll ensure you wont lose it.

Great idea, i'll make sure santa keeps his receipt!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Red_Open wrote: »
    Did you guys get them in halfords? are they easy to deal with if it goes wrong?

Got my Flow from Bike24 some years back. Really enjoy it but have replaced the brake unit once and also one of the levers. I got the VR model with the steerer which has also needed a spring replaced, and found one of the buttons on the controller has also gone on the blink. Good unit but the build quality could be better. I did all the repairs myself with parts bought on ebay.

Advertisement