Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to Saorview?

• 28-11-2016 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I don't watch TV but I want to get something other than Saorview for someone for a Christmas present. Saorview's signal on their TV is terrible. Any suggestions and any ideas of how much it would cost? Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I see you've posted the same question on the Cavan forum so it's unlikely there's a cable option which leaves Sky (satellite dish) as the only other option, they'd get all the Irish and UK channels but they'd have to pay a monthly subscription. Are they stuck in a black valley with no TV signal or how come they can't pick it up?

Saorview is a digital signal so your claim that the reception is 'terrible' is confusing, you tend to either get a picture or nothing. Do they have a UHF aerial on the roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 FinrinLobrich

Thanks for the info. Yes they have an aerial on the roof. The stations flicker regularly and lose signal. It might be because the house is near the border and near a windmill warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

What transmitter does the coverage checker recommend? Is the windfarm between the aerial and transmitter?

Is Freeview from a transmitter in NI an option, Brougher Mt etc.? Click on Brougher Mt. icon for coverage - https://ukfree.tv/maps/bbc/6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Sky is not the only option.

You could set up a dish and get freesat which has all the uk channels. there's also saorsat for the Irish channels. Your only cost would be initial equipment, there is no ongoing cost with this kind of setup.

If there's decent broadband (fibre), you could look into Eir tv or Vodafone tv, but ongoing charges would apply there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

I want to get something other than Saorview for someone for a Christmas present. Saorview's signal on their TV is terrible.

Another poster says this person might be in Cavan.

Saorview is just RTE, TV3, TG4, & UTV Ireland. Maybe it's actually other channels, received from NI that are coming in badly?

If that's the case, & if terrestrial reception of these channels can't be sorted, they could go with free satellite for these, & continue with Saorview for the ROI channels.

This is assuming they currently have an all-terrestrial setup.

• Advertisement

meep wrote: »
    Sky is not the only option.

You could set up a dish and get freesat which has all the uk channels. there's also saorsat for the Irish channels. Your only cost would be initial equipment, there is no ongoing cost with this kind of setup.

If there's decent broadband (fibre), you could look into Eir tv or Vodafone tv, but ongoing charges would apply there.

Thanks for the info. Freesat sounds like a good option. They get UK and Irish stations on Saorview. I guess this is because of being around 3 or 4 miles from the border (Cavan side of Fermanagh).

Thanks for the info. Freesat sounds like a good option. They get UK and Irish stations on Saorview. I guess this is because of being around 3 or 4 miles from the border (Cavan side of Fermanagh).

Are they getting everything from one aerial? If so, do they have TV3?

If they have RTE1 & 2 and TG4 but not TV3 then they are probably getting the Irish channels from Brougher Mountain in NI along with the UK channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

... Freesat sounds like a good option. They get UK and Irish stations on Saorview. I guess this is because of being around 3 or 4 miles from the border (Cavan side of Fermanagh).

Saorview is just the Irish channels, the UK equivalent is Freeview, & that's what they're picking up from NI.

Has any competent person had a look at their aerial setup to see if it's performing at its best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Definitely worth getting the aerials looked at. It's possible they're just not quite right.

You'd probably be better off with Saorview for the Irish channels and FreeSat for the UK ones. It's a bit annoying having them in two different EPGs but, overall, I think an actual freesat box tends to be a better solution as it's just easier to use.

Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I've to get them a different present now. They're getting a dish and freesat on Monday!! Ah well it's the thought that counts :-)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I've to get them a different present now. They're getting a dish and freesat on Monday!! Ah well it's the thought that counts :-)

Sorting out the aerial(s) would have been a cheaper option. If they can get UK Freeview and Irish Saorview at the moment then they don't need a satellite dish and receiver unless they want Sky Sports.

You said (in post #7) that they get the UK channels on Saorview which is not correct. Without a dish or cable you can only get the UK channels via Freeview which means they are picking up the signal from across the border via the aerial.

Advertisement