Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search issue

Options
  • 28-11-2016 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭

Looking to search for the term A&P doesn't return results for that, I either get results for P or no results. I'm sure it's down to the use of the ampersand and how the search interprets it, but I also can't get around it by putting in inverted commas around the term.

Is there a way to do this or is the search not configured to search for this?

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Looking to search for the term A&P doesn't return results for that, I either get results for P or no results. I'm sure it's down to the use of the ampersand and how the search interprets it, but I also can't get around it by putting in inverted commas around the term.

Is there a way to do this or is the search not configured to search for this?

The search is a little funky when it comes to some special characters. One workaround is to use Google and enter site:boards.ie followed by your query - A&P works in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd like to know if the techie guys have an answer - I've tried querying using several different escape characters and none of them have worked for me.

But in the meantime, Google will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The search is a little funky when it comes to some special characters. One workaround is to use Google and enter site:boards.ie followed by your query - A&P works in this instance.

I was using it in a specific thread as the boards search is useful for, which I don't know of any easy way to do with google.

Is it possible to add as a want (rather than priority need) to somehow include it in the search? Even if I can put it in inverted commas or something that doesn't disregard the special characters.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

I was using it in a specific thread as the boards search is useful for, which I don't know of any easy way to do with google.

Is it possible to add as a want (rather than priority need) to somehow include it in the search? Even if I can put it in inverted commas or something that doesn't disregard the special characters.

Following up with the tech guys. In the meantime, you could PM me the thread and I could do some trial and error testing. If you don't want to send on anything, you could try Googling with the thread title in inverted commas. Of course, that also depends on Google having crawled that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Following up with the tech guys. In the meantime, you could PM me the thread and I could do some trial and error testing. If you don't want to send on anything, you could try Googling with the thread title in inverted commas. Of course, that also depends on Google having crawled that thread.

It's not urgent, just a 'nice-to-have'. Thanks for following up for me and if there are changes it would be good to know. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement