Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pope will vist Ireland in 2018(mod warning in Op)

• 28-11-2016 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

Taoiseach Enda Kenny has said Pope Francis has confirmed he will travel to Ireland in August 2018.

It comes after Mr Kenny held a 23-minute meeting with the pope in the Vatican.

The meeting was requested following the invitation to the pope by the Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference to visit Ireland for the World Meeting of Families in two years' time.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1128/834873-pope-kenny-church-vatican/

Last time a pope visited here was 1979 September, I remember it well as worked on the popes cross in the pheno, my claim to fame.

Well will ya welcome his holiness or not AH ?

Mod- Knock it on the head with the Catholic bashing please. No more references to them being a pedo cult etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Has he come to apologise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I wonder if anyone will suggest to let all the prisoners out to see him this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Well for him.

I not religious but it will bring a LOT of tourism and attention on Ireland.

I'm all for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

2.5 million turned out to see JP2 in 1979.
    Doubt there will be so many this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It will be a special time as it is for every country the Pope visits, despite what distractors/opponents say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Marty Whelan on Lyric heard this last week from some opera singer who was already booked to sing for the pope's visit in 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Is he coming to issue an official apology to the people of Ireland and bringing a big novelty cheque with him for the compensation owed by the Church?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Pope is welcome to come here. It's been over a generation since the last Papal visit and Ireland has changed almost beyond all recognition since 1979.

Of course the church has a much more diminished position in Ireland but 37 years ago it was still far too powerful. I doubt there will be half the population in the Phoenix Park but Francis will still attract pretty sizable numbers.

I was 4 when my family were at the Park to see JPII and I can vaguely remember it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Marty Whelan on Lyric heard this last week from some opera singer who was already booked to sing for the pope's visit in 2018.

Marty Whelan: "I heard from this fat fella down the pub."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm sure plenty of people will go along to "see" even if they haven't seen the inside of a church in ten years.

The numbers will be well down though on the last time. Certainly won't be going myself, no more than I'd go to see Netanyahu or the Ayatollah.

If he's doing a Phoenix park jobbie, that would be a good weekend to book a hotel down the country. Be lovely and quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Ryanair will welcome that - they can sell tickets to people wanting to come to Ireland to see the pope, and tickets to those who want to escape the circus and will want to be abroad for a few days while he's here.

me_irl wrote: »
    Marty Whelan: "I heard from this fat fella down the pub."

He was not wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

1979 was Ireland's Woodstock

seamus wrote: »
    I'm sure plenty of people will go along to "see" even if they haven't seen the inside of a church in ten years.

Loads of us went to see him in 79 who weren't exactly holy joes.

How often do you see an actual crowd of a million people in a field?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

1979 was Ireland's Woodstock

Never thought of it like that, Even though I worked on the Cross I never went to see him, we all went to the fields to drink cider n wine :):o:pac:

Don't know if I would go n see him now, might if I was there & it wasn't to packed .bring the grandkids...

MadYaker wrote: »

What did he do?

He can come or not, doesn't bother me either ways.
    Oh apart from I'm bound to make a few Bob in overtime!

Given in the past a plot to assassinate the Pope in the Philippines was uncovered and averted, and ISIS saying they also want to kill the Pope, the Phoenix Park would hardly be a secure area for both the Pope and the people who attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Panti Bliss to MC.

That'll learn him.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Given in the past a plot to assassinate the Pope in the Philippines was uncovered and averted, and ISIS saying they also want to kill the Pope, the Phoenix Park would hardly be a secure area for both the Pope and the people who attend.

Hence the overtime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Why should our esteemed Mayo Monkey pass up on a stellar PR opportunity?
    Watch him slide back into the fold when the **** hits the fan again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Loads of us went to see him in 79 who weren't exactly holy joes.

How often do you see an actual crowd of a million people in a field?
    I've had enough experience of 100,000 people standing around in fields and on streets to know that it's far more incredible to see it from above. In an aerial photo. From the comfort of my couch.

Five minutes of "wow look at all these people" and five hours of pushing and shoving and walking more slowly than anyone was ever meant to walk and struggling to get in and out. No, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I've had enough experience of 100,000 people standing around in fields and on streets to know that it's far more incredible to see it from above. From the comfort of my snipers nest.

...I think that's what you meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Pope Francis seems like a very pleasant man.

I hope all the Castro-Loving leftist's are not allowed to highjack the experience for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

Will gay people be welcomed at any events? What about the single mothers? Will he say sorry to the women who had children born outside wedlock only for the child to be taken from them and given to good catholic couples who couldnt conceive themselves? I've a huge problem with the leader of an organisation that facilitated and hid the sexual abuse of thousands of children coming here.

Will i be protesting this mans visit, you had better believe it and im sure i will be one of thousands with like minded views. The church is no longer feared in Ireland and it's about time they knew it.

I am seeing the Pope next April in St Peters square. I received my letter from the Vatican that my ticket is reserved for Easter Sunday.

My earliest memory is when I was 3 and the Pope visited Ireland. My father was busy making hay, remember my mother painting the ceiling in the kitchen and the general excitement of the Pope's visit.

It will be a great time for the country in 2018. It should also be noted that Jorge Mario Bergoglio as a Jesuit lived in Dublin for a number of months at the Jesuits residence. So it should be special for him to now to return to Dublin as the Pope. He would know the city fairly well, despite a lot of changes in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Oodoov wrote: »

Will i be protesting this mans visit, you had better believe it and im sure i will be one of thousands with like minded views. The church is no longer feared in Ireland and it's about time they knew it.

Them protest-ants, up to no good as usual.

I've a huge problem with the leader of an organisation that facilitated and hid the sexual abuse of thousands of children coming here

I did not know that Prince William is president of the Football Association in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I am seeing the Pope next April in St Peters square. I received my letter from the Vatican that my ticket is reserved for Easter Sunday.

My earliest memory is when I was 3 and the Pope visited Ireland. My father was busy making hay, remember my mother painting the ceiling in the kitchen and the general excitement of the Pope's visit.

It will be a great time for the country in 2018. It should also be noted that Jorge Mario Bergoglio as a Jesuit lived in Dublin for a number of months at the Jesuits residence.So it should be special for him to now to return to Dublin as the Pope. He would know the city fairly well, despite a lot of changes in the meantime.

Well obviously. Everyone knows that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Will gay people be welcomed at any events? What about the single mothers? Will he say sorry to the women who had children born outside wedlock only for the child to be taken from them and given to good catholic couples who couldnt conceive themselves? I've a huge problem with the leader of an organisation that facilitated and hid the sexual abuse of thousands of children coming here.

Considering that the church protested so hard against the gay marriage referendum, and they'll undoubtedly do the same with the 8th Amendment, as well as the systematic cover-up of child sex abuse in the past, I think that their representative should be met with a frosty reception from a slowly but surely increasingly progressive Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

The biggest outdoor concert ever held in Ireland was on in the Phoenix park on Saturday 29th of September 1979. Just so happened the Pope was there the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The way RTE covered this on the news app is unreal. Headline story this morning was that Kenny was going to the Vatican to meet the pope.
    Then he was meeting the pope and then it changed to he had met the pope and finally notifications sent out that the pope was coming here in August 2018.

The catholic bias within RTE is ridiculous.

I know when to have my holidays in 2018.

I have an issue with the head of an organisation which facilitated and covered up child sex abuse while ruling the country with an iron fist being welcomed here with open arms.

Thought Enda would do the right thing and not invite him, particularly after the great comments he made about the appalling actions of the Church back in 2011.

Enda has no backbone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My reaction to this would be "who cares?" personally as the Church (any Church!) has never had any relevance to me, but I'm sure there'll be tens of thousands of the older generation there as well as the inevitable left-wing protesters.

My bigger concern is it may well mean that Enda Kenny tries to stay on till 2018 so he can be the "first FG Taoiseach to (eventually!) get a second term who hosted the Pope!" or something :rolleyes:

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I have an issue with the head of an organisation which facilitated and covered up child sex abuse while ruling the country with an iron fist being welcomed here with open arms.

Thought Enda would do the right thing and not invite him, particularly after the great comments he made about the appalling actions of the Church back in 2011.

Enda has no backbone.

Enda is all about Enda .. which is why we have the weak ineffective Government we have now - all so he could get his record of being the only FG Taoiseach to get a second term (albeit with the support and buying-off of the Independents and FF)

He's also of that generation though so probably thinks it's a great thing for Ireland. Another sign of how out of touch he is.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    My reaction to this would be "who cares?" personally as the Church (any Church!) has never had any relevance to me, but I'm sure there'll be tens of thousands of the older generation there as well as the inevitable left-wing protesters.

My bigger concern is it may well mean that Enda Kenny tries to stay on till 2018 so he can be the "first FG Taoiseach to (eventually!) get a second term who hosted the Pope!" or something :rolleyes:

Varadkar being Taoiseach in 2018 would be funny. The Pope being welcomed by a 'sinful' gay leader.

• Advertisement

Seems a lot will have their knickers in knots over this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Pope Francis seems like a very pleasant man.

I hope all the Castro-Loving leftist's are not allowed to highjack the experience for everyone else.

Pope Francis does seem like a very pleasant man. His rhetoric strikes me as that of a "Castro-loving leftist" at times. At a time when the far-right is gaining ground in America and Europe, it's good that the Catholic Church is led by a figurehead who views economic justice as a virtue, rather than something to be sneered at.

I just hope he's still around in 2018.

It's not every day the Taoiseach invites the head of a pedophile ring to the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It will be a great time for the country in 2018. It should also be noted that Jorge Mario Bergoglio as a Jesuit lived in Dublin for a number of months at the Jesuits residence. So it should be special for him to now to return to Dublin as the Pope. He would know the city fairly well, despite a lot of changes in the meantime.

How will it be a great time for the country? It's not 1979 anymore.

The practising catholics can enjoy it if they wish but the majority of people who are lapsed catholics will not care.

Well it IS somewhat inappropriate to roll out the red carpet (will they have Irish music/singing on the runway too? After all it was good enough for Trump) for the head of an organisation which did so much damage to the people of this country and held social progress back for decades while enriching itself on the mandatory contributions of those people.

But if he turns up in the manner of a normal "event" that people who are interested in can attend I can let it go myself. Unfortunately however I reckon it'll be full VIP red carpet treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Rte's wet dream has been realised.

I dont care if he comes as long as not 1 euro of my taxation is paid towards the visit, which of course is unrealistic to expect therefore he should feck right off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Time to take out those foldup chairs from the back shed. I knew they'd come in useful eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

MadYaker wrote: »

If you knew how to use Google properly, you'd quickly see the utter pointlessness of your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    But if he turns up in the manner of a normal "event" that people who are interested in can attend I can let it go myself. Unfortunately however I reckon it'll be full VIP red carpet treatment.

it will be like Liz's visit all over again, a bunch of shameless publicity stunts, with us mere peasants herded away from big chunks of the city like cattle, lest we accidentally come within 500m of someone of such delusionary grandeur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

What a waste of resources this is going to be and I'd consider it as an attempt to influence a future referendum on repealing the eight which will probably occur in the same year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

He'll be making an appearance at Electric Picnic that year to sign autographs, take pictures, and will be giving away free bread and wine.

murpho999 wrote: »
    How will it be a great time for the country? It's not 1979 anymore.

The practising catholics can enjoy it if they wish but the majority of people who are lapsed catholics will not care.

In 2018, a lot of critics are going to be very sad, just like they were when Pope Benedict visited England and Wales.
    Talk of how it would not go well and it ended with everyone talking about how great it was.

Negative people will only look negatively and be blind to the reality which will be positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

We get to see the wonder that is the pope mobile up close and personal.
    Afterwards it might be available to rent for parties.

We can enjoy the aggravation of the Loyalists at this outbreak of Popery.

Hopefully Frank will uncover some irish roots. Maybe a long lost great, great grandmother who left Drumfin during the famine to take the ship to argentina.

The looney left politicians will attempt to disrupt public events and cause lots of delicious embarrassment. AAA Murphy was born for this moment.

There will need to be a national holiday / day off work to give the occasion suitable respect.

There's bound to be one hell of a good mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The numbers will be well down though on the last time. Certainly won't be going myself, no more than I'd go to see Netanyahu or the Ayatollah.

If he's doing a Phoenix park jobbie, that would be a good weekend to book a hotel down the country. Be lovely and quiet.

Why? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Ted111 wrote: »
    There's bound to be one hell of a good mass.

I've heard he gives good mass, Ted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement