Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental accomodation and noise

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

To be honest Rabblerouser if I was you I'd just keep the head down and ignore him altogether. You said yourself you've only 6 months left so you could spend those 6 months stressing or just ignore it. As others have said he can't evict you so easily. Even if he does get around to it he has to give you a long notice period so you'll last the 6 months and leave it all behind. If it was going to be your home long term I'd say yeah get stressed but this is not worth stressing so much over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Not sure what to advise on how to deal with the others. They all just seem really unreasonable based on your accounts. Absolutely nothing wrong with making a cup of tea and doing quiet work at any hour in my opinion. People work all hours and as long as you're not making a racket I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you're not taking over the kitchen constantly, and as you say you're not.

My only advice is keep a log of every incident and try to keep all interactions with the landlord written so you've a record.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I don't really know what to say to you all but thanks, to be honest. You've all been very helpful. Yeah, the talk was literally just to try and be calm, and initially he was-but then he just lost it. I think when I stated how it was a bogus allegation, he tried to stop the call-and I was letting him go-and then he just lost the calm. He doesn't swear, but boy howdy did he start.

Initially he was fine, but when I said that the previous alleger was gonna withdraw her statement-in writing-and admit it was a false allegation-he realised, I feel, that he had lost that vital allegation. Tried to say 'she's only doing that cos you talk to her'. But he hasn't been able to contact her in months, she changed her number, for one thing. So that's irritating him now. That the first claim is no longer legitimate. Couple that with allegations of past behaviour (calling him constantly about the difficult tenant, which was legitimate. So did the other tenant, tbh). And I still have a video of that trouble tenant, I recorded it based on advice from Threshold and her difficult behaviour (he witnessed it-its not as if it was made up.)
    When I tried to explain the law to him-as in where my rights as a tenant begin, he lost it again. I was not trying to be hostile, but he seemed to lose it when he lost that vital piece of information-ie the tenant who made the first allegation.

Keep in mind-I didn't speak to him for 5 days. Thought he would have calmed down. No. He seemed ticked that I called him in the first place-but I did say, is it okay to talk, and just not bothering him. Well, yeah...that went well. (On my part-fine, on his-no. He completely lost his cool).
    He then started to get hostile- claiming why I was calling him about law stuff-rattling off information. Then brought up the above former tenant, and yeah, when I had a rebuttal to that, he was not happy.
    Well, I think that got him-tbh. When he realised I did my homework. Could provide information, then he tried to bring the neighbours into it-but the only time I ever see the neighbours is halloween, when the kids trick 'r treat. That's it. Again, I said I Would need evidence of that.
    Well, the more evidence I demanded to see, the more hostle he got. Even when I said he shouldn't have entered the house to get the gas bill, as nobody was there, he lost it again.

pilly wrote: »
    To be honest Rabblerouser if I was you I'd just keep the head down and ignore him altogether. You said yourself you've only 6 months left so you could spend those 6 months stressing or just ignore it. As others have said he can't evict you so easily. Even if he does get around to it he has to give you a long notice period so you'll last the 6 months and leave it all behind. If it was going to be your home long term I'd say yeah get stressed but this is not worth stressing so much over.

Thanks Pilly-it's been stressful. Probably gonna bump into him tomorrow due to a gas bill-but I have to prep myself for this. It's gonna get heated.

Okay, I think I have actually scared my landlord. He dropped off a gas bill today, really knocking on the door. LEft the bill, and as I was trying to unlock my bedroom door, and put on shoes. He dropped the bill and left. I didn't get a chance to open the door of my room-he left himself in, and walked out. Practically ran, tbh. Then got in his car, and sped off.
    He must have heard me getting my key in the lock of the door.

So either he's now acting up, or he's realised he's made a mistake by pushing too far. His entire 'evidence' is now gone.

My goal now is to just work, keep my phone by my side as I do so, and prevent any possible issues in the future. He has nothing on me, and nothing that would require a dispute to be resolved.
    I know I'm not out of the woods yet, but my plan is to just stay calm-I know my rights. Well, that is to say, thanks to all the wonderful people who have responded to my original post, I know my rights. Thank you all for the help so far. It's really been an absolute treasure trove.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Okay, I think I have actually scared my landlord. He dropped off a gas bill today, really knocking on the door. LEft the bill, and as I was trying to unlock my bedroom door, and put on shoes. He dropped the bill and left. I didn't get a chance to open the door of my room-he left himself in, and walked out. Practically ran, tbh. Then got in his car, and sped off.
    He must have heard me getting my key in the lock of the door.

So either he's now acting up, or he's realised he's made a mistake by pushing too far. His entire 'evidence' is now gone.

My goal now is to just work, keep my phone by my side as I do so, and prevent any possible issues in the future. He has nothing on me, and nothing that would require a dispute to be resolved.
    I know I'm not out of the woods yet, but my plan is to just stay calm-I know my rights. Well, that is to say, thanks to all the wonderful people who have responded to my original post, I know my rights. Thank you all for the help so far. It's really been an absolute treasure trove.
    Are you sure you are a tenant and not a licensee?

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you sure you are a tenant and not a licensee?

Yes, I am sure I am a tenant-a licensee would be dealing with the tenants, living there while paying them. I've always dealt with the landlord-its only now he's been trying to fabricate evidence about me.

Yes, I am sure I am a tenant-a licensee would be dealing with the tenants, living there while paying them. I've always dealt with the landlord-its only now he's been trying to fabricate evidence about me.
    Kinda sounds like you don't have exclusive access to the property if the landlord is coming and going from the common areas, that's one of the requirements for a tenancy. Of course the landlord could just be violating your tenants' rights.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Kinda sounds like you don't have exclusive access to the property if the landlord is coming and going from the common areas, that's one of the requirements for a tenancy. Of course the landlord could just be violating your tenants' rights.

I believe he is violating the rights, to be honest. If he thinks someone is home, he knocks on the door, and waits for them to let him in. Since there are three of us renting, with access to the kitchen and other areas, it's exclusive to us, as tenants.
    The previous tenant had to reprimand him once due to his entering the house, but i had provided permission then, as there was a repair needed in my room (the shaver plug wasn't working). Since that tenant has left, he has been more opportunistic.
    It's become more irritating tbh. Like, he will knock if a car is outside in the parking place, if not, he won't. He'll enter-and not apologise. Since he realised now that I have layed down the law more-he's been more crossing the t's and i's.

When I first moved in here, he would always contact us to come into the house-even collecting the rent, he would make sure one of us was at home. Since then, he doesn't do that anymore.
    If repairs such as the boiler, which had to be done recently, are done, then i understand he can walk in as that is a vital comfort thing. But the rest of the time-he seems to pick and choose.
    He'll walk in and say 'oh, sorry, thought nobody was home'. So yeah, he's violating the tenancy. Even my former roommate often had to tell him off for that. Hence why he always asked first.

I believe he is violating the rights, to be honest. If he thinks someone is home, he knocks on the door, and waits for them to let him in. Since there are three of us renting, with access to the kitchen and other areas, it's exclusive to us, as tenants.

If all three of you are renting the rooms seperately and paying your rent seperately to the LL then this is still very much a grey area you each only have exclusive access to your bedrooms but none of you have exclusive access to the common areas as how can you when the other housemates have access to them.

• Advertisement

If all three of you are renting the rooms seperately and paying your rent seperately to the LL then this is still very much a grey area you each only have exclusive access to your bedrooms but none of you have exclusive access to the common areas as how can you when the other housemates have access to them.

Well, no, it's more like, we are renting bedrooms, with me having an ensuite, the other room also having an ensuite, and one large room with a bathroom that is freely usable, but we leave it exclusive to the large room tenant.

The kitchen and dining room area is shared-bills for gas, electricity and so on are divided equally among us. So one can use the kitchen, at any time. As well as washing machine, tumble dryer, and dishwasher. IT's not totally off limits to people.
    I think I was wrong about exclusive access, sorry-it's shared access to all of the dining room and kitchen.
    Shared utilities such as garbage and internet as well.
    So no, no exclusivity there-it's just one has a laptop which she seems to have no issue using-well after 6pm-whilst I on the other hand was barred from using mine. And since I am not using mine for facebook, it's irritating to state that I am the sole target of that.
    I've often had to state that I need my laptop-and deadlines being deadlines, I will work well after 6pm. If he starts issuing orders, then I have to state its a shared area, and I don't mind asking permission in case I am making a problem. I often move around stuff, like taking my clothes off of a radiator to dry them, for another tenant to do so. I can then just put them in the airing cupboard or something, to make space. I am not trying to be a nuisance, just live normally, reasonably, and without disturbing anyone.

Well, no, it's more like, we are renting bedrooms, with me having an ensuite, the other room also having an ensuite, and one large room with a bathroom that is freely usable, but we leave it exclusive to the large room tenant.

The kitchen and dining room area is shared-bills for gas, electricity and so on are divided equally among us. So one can use the kitchen, at any time. As well as washing machine, tumble dryer, and dishwasher. IT's not totally off limits to people.
    I think I was wrong about exclusive access, sorry-it's shared access to all of the dining room and kitchen. Shared utilities such as garbage and internet as well.
    So no, no exclusivity there-it's just one has a laptop which she seems to have issue using-well after 6pm-whilst I on the other hand was barred from using mine. And since I am not using mine for facebook, it's irritating to state that I am the sole target of that.

I didn't mean to suggest anything about how you or your housemates use the shared areas the point was about the fact that as none of you have exclusive use of the common areas that it's still a grey area whether the LL can enter and leave as he pleases or not. In a house with a single tenancy this is clear cut, the person who has the tenancy has exclusive access but in a rooms let seperately scenario it's no so clear cut.

Oh, okay, no problem on that. Sorry if I came across as hostile.

No that's fine, it's okay to get clarity on that. Yes, it is a grey area, but since he had one behaviour before, and another now.... I would suggest the old behaviour was the right one.

Is there a tenancy agreement per person or is it all under one lease that you're joint and severally responsible for?

There is a tenancy agreement per person, with each responsible for their own time, work, room etc. Shared space in kitchen and dining room, downstairs toilet, washing machine and tumble dryer too. If something like, say, the microwave breaks down, he will replace it-but if something bizarre happened like someone smashed the glass of the microwave door, well, unless he can find who did it-or they admitted it-then we, all us tenants, would all be charged for that. (I lived in an estate before where one person, with wealthy parents (who she believed would pay for her crud), decided it would be fun, at the end of her lease, to rip all the piping out of the bathroom and kitchen house. So yeah, I've known people do all sorts of crazy things- the smashed door microwave is a hypothethical).
    Like, for example, the microwave, about a year or less old(the previous one decided to no reheat food any more), went on fire during the summer-I was the the one reheating a cup of coffee, the spinnerwheel underneath went on fire, and melted the glass plate. Well, obviously, I switched it off, called him, told him what happened since I was the only one in the house at the time. Well, apparently the brand of microwave is known for issues-faulty wires, all that stuff. But since he never called an engineer or anything (the glass plate inside it also broke apart, and when he tried assembling it to see what happened, he claimed some of the glass was not from the plate. I showed him where it fitted in the plate). Anyways, with all the accusations at me died down, I just said to heck with it, I googled microwaves at argos, found one reduced price by over 200 quid, about 98 euros (by the same brand) with similar dimensions as the other one. Rang him, asked him to collect it, that I would pay for it and reserve it, just give me the receipt at the end of the day for records and taxes. Whole thing was sorted by the day.
    On the other hand, a kettle in the house died 18 months ago-it kept tripping the switch when I tried to make coffee. He replaced that. Asked me to check it with other plugs int he house, to see if it kept doing the same thing-it did. So it was obviously faulty.
    So yeah, he's trying to come at me with faulse accusations, yet now knows that anything he claims against me I can refute, with evidence, research, and even a recording of the troublesome room mate who he's now blaming me for her bizarre behaviour(threshold advised this, even when he said to delete the video. I needed to keep a log of her bizarreness for the sake of a possible eviction), yet months back he stated that I should have been more explanatory and more descriptive of her behaviour and she would have been evicted.

Advertisement