Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

So... is there any definitive list of companies who will insure +15yr old cars??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭Gormal

ION08 wrote: »
    So... is there any definitive list of companies who will insure +15yr old cars??

I went and listed a few in my post #396 Its4women won't take any new business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Basicly the car insurance business will continue to be a rip off as long as the government collect 5% of each policy. That's why there is no outcry from the politicians or any call for a change to other methods of insuring cars like they do in some other countries like EG New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

No Definitive list as it will depend on the car & the driver for each policy & each company has there own underwriting rules. (No standard rules for older cars)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

I'm almost in tears here listening to an ad on the radio for AXA insurance. The soft and understanding tones from the agent when she hears about the little girls birds nest being damaged is just too much........booo hooo. I never realised insurance companies were so understanding....boo hoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭phester28

Ivernia Axa and patrona are the three main underwriters that are willing to quote for old cars. Mine is now 20 years but they are riding it now at 950 for an e36 318i.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LemmyKilmister

phester28 wrote: »
    Ivernia Axa and patrona are the three main underwriters that are willing to quote for old cars. Mine is now 20 years but they are riding it now at 950 for an e36 318i.

Do you have a contact at Patrona?

I wish. no its just the commonality of my calls to the various brokers. Chill, McCarthys etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

AXA took mine last year, believe they still do as long as you meet their other requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LemmyKilmister

phester28 wrote: »
    I wish. no its just the commonality of my calls to the various brokers. Chill, McCarthys etc

Which broker do you know that works with Patrona?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 BexieB

I have an 18 year old. Was with First Ireland, but was concerned that they are brokers they would refuse as the car gets older. Got in with AXA last year. Every time I see an old car on the road I check the insurance disc.. it’s always AXA. Just hope they’ll continue to insure.

Which broker do you know that works with Patrona?

I think it was Chill.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

2001 1.9 diesel. Lady driver 12 years no claims, 0 penalty points. Fully comp

Axa- 592
    Chill- 682
    Aviva- 450

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

physioman wrote: »
    2001 1.9 diesel. Lady driver 12 years no claims, 0 penalty points. Fully comp

Axa- 592
    Chill- 682
    Aviva- 450

The Aviva quote is that as a new customer?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    The Aviva quote is that as a new customer?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

2001 Ford Mondeo ....372 euro tpft new customer with Aviva ...being with axa for years . Are Aviva making a push for market share I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

00 almera saloon 1.4 petrol €950 with axa

Thats 2 quotes above for older cars with Aviva and i thought Aviva wasn't giving new business quotes for cars over 14 years old, maybe a change of mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Thats 2 quotes above for older cars with Aviva and i thought Aviva wasn't giving new business quotes for cars over 14 years old, maybe a change of mind?

I'm going to ring them tomorrow. My insurance quote is very high.

I'm going to ring them tomorrow. My insurance quote is very high.

let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

Yeah it seems they are. Great to have another choice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Aviva were one of the first to target older cars as being business they wanted to avoid due to a disproportionate amount of expensive claims coming in. They have obviously delved deeper and identified that it is a certain type of person with an older car was the issue.

They are very competitive if you have an older car and have been with them for a few years or have owned the same car for a few years with a different insurer. I'm hearing that they are not so keen for someone recently buying certain classes of older cars and going to them for a quote for the first time

Aviva only quote cars of 2000 and over. So no good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Aviva only quote cars of 2000 and over. So no good to me.

Yes, rang them today for a quote on my 1999 Corolla (my Dad bought it new, 94,000 miles on the clock. I do 2,000 per year, no claims, no points etc). Refused - so I imagine I will be staying with Allianz who will inevitably increase the premium.

Yes, rang them today for a quote on my 1999 Corolla (my Dad bought it new, 94,000 miles on the clock. I do 2,000 per year, no claims, no points etc). Refused - so I imagine I will be staying with Allianz who will inevitably increase the premium.

Allianz won't insure me as a new customer.

Aviva just quoted me through the roof!
    Basically all the companies are back in the cosy cartel and nobody is doing anything about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Aviva just quoted me through the roof!
    Basically all the companies are back in the cosy cartel and nobody is doing anything about it!

So Aviva are coming good for lots of people lately, but it's a cartel because they don't offer you a decent quote???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Aviva just declined to quote on a 2003 car - too old. I said I thought they were taking cars from 2000 on, the agent said they had been doing so recently, but not now...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Allianz won't insure me as a new customer.

I am with them for years but it's gone from €380 in 2013 to my current premium of €750 - due for renewal in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

Online quotes - 1998 Starlet 1.3 tpft

AXA 578
    Chill 543

Will be going with renewal - BOI 452

Advertisement