Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

physioman wrote: »
    Did you try Aviva. My 01 golf is insured with them
    Only if your already with them, wont insure cars over 16 years old for new customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Only if your already with them, wont insure cars over 16 years old for new customers.

Are you sure? They claim to be a new customer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

AXA are insuring my 18yo car without any issue and have come back the last 2 years with the best quote by a mile so I've stuck with them.

Have fully comp with some extras added in and it's under €500 a year.

tuxy wrote: »
    Are you sure? They claim to be a new customer.
    i have a 2008 zafira insured with them, rang for a quote for my wife's 1998 Astra, told over 16 years old so no quote.
    edit, sorry did not read vargoo post, this was 2 months ago i rang for quote, so maybe its changed.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    AXA are insuring my 18yo car without any issue and have come back the last 2 years with the best quote by a mile so I've stuck with them.

Have fully comp with some extras added in and it's under €500 a year.

will they insure new customers for old cars?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I got my renewal from Allianz for my 05 Avensis. It has jumped from 600 to 950. The lowest quote I've gotten elsewhere so far is 640 from 123.ie.

Well I'm back with some good and bad news.
    I went back a few pages on this thread and took note of the companies that had given good quotes to people in 2018.
    I can only find two companies that will give me a quote my current insurer and AXA.

The good news is AXA was a very competative quote at €765
    I then rang Liberty and told them about the AXA quote but the best they could do is €877

The bad is that only having two companies that will quote me really limits my options. It look like the time is up for people wanting to drive older cars and soon the only options left will be to either insure it as a classic and own another more modern as well car or scrape it :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Fbd sent me post today. Renewal due. I've had this car 15 years. 712.55 for a 03 1.9 golf. Surely someone can do better than that. I barely do 6000 miles a year.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I got my renewal from Allianz for my 05 Avensis. It has jumped from 600 to 950. The lowest quote I've gotten elsewhere so far is 640 from 123.ie.

I've just gone ahead with 123.ie for 648 euro. It was pretty clear that I wasn't going to get a cheaper quote elsewhere. The next nearest quote was 750. Some chancers were looking for 1400. I used to pay less than 400 on this very car.:mad:

beertons wrote: »
    Fbd sent me post today. Renewal due. I've had this car 15 years. 712.55 for a 03 1.9 golf. Surely someone can do better than that. I barely do 6000 miles a year.

Well you can try Liberty and AXA at least they will quote you. Insurance companies just don't want customers who own older cars.
    I've just gone ahead with 123.ie for 648 euro. It was pretty clear that I wasn't going to get a cheaper quote elsewhere. The next nearest quote was 750. Some chancers were looking for 1400. I used to pay less than 400 on this very car.:mad:

123 won't quote new customers on older cars so you are lucky they gave you a reasonable renewal rate.

I have until the end of the month to get a renewal so if anyone one else can suggest other companies please do so.
    Here's who I've tried and could not get a quote

Chill
    AVIVA
    BOI
    AA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Try Aviva.

Try Aviva.
    Are they doing insurance for older cars again, was mentioned in another post that they are, wondered did anyone get a quote?

Well you can try Liberty and AXA at least they will quote you. Insurance companies just don't want customers who own older cars.

123 won't quote new customers on older cars so you are lucky they gave you a reasonable renewal rate.

I have until the end of the month to get a renewal so if anyone one else can suggest other companies please do so.
    Here's who I've tried and could not get a quote

Chill
    AVIVA
    BOI
    AA

It wasn't a renewal. It was new business to them. I was with Allianz for the previous 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Are they doing insurance for older cars again, was mentioned in another post that they are, wondered did anyone get a quote?

I did for a 01 golf last year

It wasn't a renewal. It was new business to them. I was with Allianz for the previous 5 years.

So Aviva said no ,was that recently?

So Aviva said no ,was that recently?

?? I think you meant that for another poster?

Ok my car is 'only' 14 years old but I didn't get refused a quote off any of the companies I asked, including Aviva.. Online only. I didn't phone any.

I did for a 01 golf last year
    so 17yrs old , i tried on my 98 Astra a while back said no too old,
    was quote any good ?

?? I think you meant that for another poster?

Ok my car is 'only' 14 years old but I didn't get refused a quote off any of the companies I asked. Online only. I didn't phone any.

sorry thought you were not getting quotes at all,

Aviva will insure up to 16 years, not sure if its change now.

How old is your car? 123 wouldn't quote me today on a 1997 same with AVIVA they also refused to quote me today.

How old is your car? 123 wouldn't quote me today on a 1997 same with AVIVA they also refused to quote me today.
    well that answers my question then, Aviva still refusing quotes for old car.

• Advertisement

well that answers my question then, Aviva still refusing quotes for old car.

Yup it's fairly well known. I knew I was wasting my time calling then but did so just so I could report back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BexieB

This question might already have been asked. But any time you get car insurance you must declare that you have not been refused cover in the past. Do these failures to get quotes constitute a refusal of cover?

BexieB wrote: »
    This question might already have been asked. But any time you get car insurance you must declare that you have not been refused cover in the past. Do these failures to get quotes constitute a refusal of cover?

No, a company having a policy like this to not cover old cars is not them refusing you personally.

I thought I'd be nearing a vintage quote at this stage. I'll report back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BexieB

Just found this company , nonstandardinsurance.ie.. Might be worth a go. I’ve got my 2000 Classic mini insured with AXA. They took me on as a new customer last year. AXA seem to be the only direct insurer who will take on new business. If it was becoming a big issue I’d scour the broker market. Not just the well known ones, there are many small provincial brokers that don’t feature in the upper results of a google search.

Got them down to 655 over the phone. Happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Has their been an updated list posted lately?

Mines the big 15 this year.

vargoo wrote: »
    Has their been an updated list posted lately?

Mines the big 15 this year.

There hasn't because the list is now tiny. Axa seems to be the only main broker covering cars over 15-16 years old.
    Can anyone confirm if Liberty still take on new customers with old cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Its some scandal this, cannot drive legally on the roads in this country without insurance yet if your car is 15 years or older its basically tough ****, you cant get insured, feck off and buy a newer car. Iv seen plenty of cracking looking cars over 15years old in fantastic condition, passing the nct without any bother 1st time most times but the insurance cartel in this country has decided, nope, no insurance for you. Another tribunal into brown envelopes passed between certain people is surely on the horizon. How has this been allowed to progress to this stage? Your car is esentially worthless once it hits the big 15?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

evosteo wrote: »
    Its some scandal this, cannot drive legally on the roads in this country without insurance yet if your car is 15 years or older its basically tough ****, you cant get insured, feck off and buy a newer car. Iv seen plenty of cracking looking cars over 15years old in fantastic condition, passing the nct without any bother 1st time most times but the insurance cartel in this country has decided, nope, no insurance for you. Another tribunal into brown envelopes passed between certain people is surely on the horizon. How has this been allowed to progress to this stage? Your car is esentially worthless once it hits the big 15?

It's the other way round - on average a 15 years old car is worthless. And because of that it poses far too much risk for the insurer.

Advertisement