Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

For the online quote, did you play around with the occupation, this can make a huge difference in quotes too?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭52paddy

Last year, I paid just over €500 for my 05 Avensis 2.0L D4D Estate. No claims or points. 31 years old. Licence 10+ years, NCB same. That was with AXA via Campion.

Today I'm struggling to get an online quote from most insurers and my renewal cost with Campion was €710. Will keep shopping around this week and make a few phone calls. Such a frustrating experience year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

Three months ago I moved from the Netherlands to Ireland. Brought my 2004 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 with me. Difficult to get a quote on it, online even more so because the car wasn't registered yet in Ireland. Now it is (finally, only took 2,5 months). Generally I tick all the boxes, just that the car is LHD, no claim is from somewhere else (the Netherlands), my driver's license too (again: the Netherlands). Two named drivers, my wife and my father in law (with whom we temporary live) who both have a full Irish license and also tick all the boxes including having their own cars (both Irish/RHD).

For now I managed to insure it online with Liberty for € 823, which isn't even that bad, reading everything. Got a quote online from the AA last week for € 425 but after a lot of phone calls eventually they didn't follow up on that even though all the information was in the online form (the problem seemed to be the foreign no claim). I'll still look around a bit, but at least I can drive the car again, after it's been off the road since the end of August when the Dutch insurance ran out (the Dutch insurer had already extended it twice, normally they don't insure people who are living abroad, but they helped me out while it took the Irish authorities forever to cough up a PPSN and a VRT exemption).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My 1998 Astra G insurance up for renewal soon with RSA Bank of Ireland at moment, what insurance company's are taking quotes at moment as new business if any on old cars ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

How can you , they'd cancel your policy if they found out

Any big claim you could be left high and dry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

1999 Corolla

Comprehensive renewal with Allianz, €466

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭zg3409

Sometimes your job can be multiple things. Example student or journalist. Journalist is very heavily penalised as the often crash on way to report the news in strange location. Often there is 2 titles for same job. Project engineer means nothing but say construction engineer is high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It is but you have to be careful with it

I remember dealing with an investigator after an accident and as well as re-enacting the accident at the accident site and answering about a 100 different questions they're very particular about what you were doing on the day and where you were coming from etc

Didn't have much time to change a story as didnt expect those particular questions

Not sure if I should post this in the renewals thread or here. I have an Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6 (LHD) from 2004 that I brought with me when I moved here last year from the Netherlands, along with more than 9 years of noclaims (why can't I type a 'more than' sign? it just disappears). Full EU license, wife and father-in-law both with Full Irish licenses also on the policy, noone with points or other issues. Managed to insure the car with Liberty for a not too unreasonable € 823. Now I got an email for renewal: they're trying to pounce with double that money: € 1,649!

That's a bit much. Now I'm going to look around a bit myself of course, but if anyone has any good ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

• Advertisement

Funny you should ask, because it so happens that I finally had them on the phone again today. Now got 10% off so down to 'only' € 1,484. Interestingly if I exchange my Dutch driver's license to an Irish one, it drops to just over € 800. Apparently people with an Irish driver's license are a lot better drivers than people with an EU license.

I'll still look around a bit, but also have to ask my wife's parents about it. Her mum has a German license (an old one, valid for life, which is why after 20+ years in Ireland she still has it), don't think she's paying twice the premium for her car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,471 ✭✭✭User1998

Go to their website and get a quote as if you were a new customer.

And also shop around of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭John.G

Just insured March 2005 Polo 1.2 Petrol for €534 with (same) broker, insurance increase, 30% since last one, broker says costs have "gone up a lot". Maybe car age increasing from 17 years to 18 years has something to do with it?. The insurers are Aviva, same as last year.

Got a quote from Axa for € 830, so I went with that. That also goes down with € 207 when I exchange my driver's license for an Irish one, so I'm going to do that (would have to do that at some stage anyway, when my current license expires).

Of course, to keep up with the save driving that Irish license holders show, now all I have to do is learn how to immediately move to the middle lane when entering the motorway, how to drive 37 in a 50, how to leave the lights off when it rains and how to stop at the red light (circled) after turning right at the light with the arrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭minibear

2007 1.6 petrol Zafira, two drivers (60s and 50s) about a million years NCB individually. No points. Fully protected NCB and breakdown cover. 337 euro with Aviva.

Since I started driving I shop around every year for the best value policy. This was the first year I just renewed.

That's cheaper then me , I'm with Aviva €470, exactly same car has you, 54 and 56 years, NCB , no points accidents etc., actually no I do have my son insured on it too, so €470 probably abouts right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Was insured with AA last year (car just 15 years old) - it jumped to about 800 this year - I used An Post quote to get me something like 450 euro for a 16 yo cat so happy days- but not looking forward to next year as I’d say I’ll be rightly screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭vickers209

Age 41 (f),

2006 Nissan note 1.4 Petrol

Full NCB. (15 years)

Aviva for the last 10 years Fully comp with breakdown assist and journey protection (€12 add on) etc

Husband named driver 3 points

November 2022 : cost €360

November 2023: Renewal €456

Went got a quote online with aviva details as above €315

Reduced the excess on policy to €125 in the event of a claim €330

Paid for there and then and policy doesn't start till November 7th

• Registered Users Posts: 8 erratic

First insurance for < €350 since 2014

Car:

2005 Toyota Avensis 1.8l petrol estate

Owned since 2020

Kept rural Sligo

Driver:

Male, 50

Full Irish Licence 1996

0 Penalty Points

10+ yr NCB

Windscreen claim Nov 2022

Renewal date: 23 Nov

< 5000km/year

no commuting

no bonus protection or stepback

2021 FBD Comp €387 (includes discount for house also insured, new customer)

2022 FBD Comp €403 (includes discount for house also insured, €40 off for phone call haggle)

2023 FBD renewal ask €462

2023 Aviva Comp €340 - no linked policy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

Also with Bank of Ireland through RSA for a 1998 Starlet.

Renewal went up 30% last year on previous year (to €622)

Haven't been able to get an online quote from FBD or Aviva

Am I at solely at the mercy of BoI or, as per OP above, has anyone been able to insure a 1998 car as new business ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

1999 Corolla

Comprehensive renewal with Allianz, €487

• Registered Users Posts: 6,471 ✭✭✭User1998

Supervalu insured a 99 Micra for a family member as a new driver/new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

Didn't like my details - did they have to ring ?

We're sorry

Based on the details you've entered we are unable to complete your quote online.

I think with most of the insurance company's on line quotes are always a no best to ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭fitzgese

37 y.o male

Full NCB (7+ years)

BMW 120d 2006

Full license 2005

No penalty points

I've been away in the US for the last year, so need a new business quote rather than a renewal.

AXA quoting Eur 1100. Seems expensive.

Still in US so calling around is difficult at the moment and can't get anyone else to quote me online.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eduig

Own an 09 corolla so now greater than 15 years. I've owned for 4 years. I'm 27.

Have been with AXA since I got car 4 years ago. Had discount from named driving experience before building up 4 years no claims. Have managed to pay 670(2021), 560(2022), 580(2023) last 3 years with AXA for third party fire & theft with breakdown assistance but renewal is 670. Allianz gave me quote for 444, comprehensive, 375 excess, open driving and breakdown assistance so I've gone with that. Was getting quotes from 400 to 1000 for third party fire and theft. Axa comprehensive would have been 902, double what I am paying allianz. Mad how it can vary that much.

I think AXA think I am loyal now I've been with them 4 years and have started to up the renewal thinking I won't change. They probably would have given it to me for 620 ish if I rang which would be only 40 increase and think most people wouldn't shop around. Just shows it is worth shopping around. I also don't use chill and go directly on each insurer website as chill is far too generic in the questions and ends up quoting more than I would be quoted directly when I fill out my details.

Post edited by eduig on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not sure if it'll be useful to anyone, but First Ireland gave me the lowest online quote out of all companies, the only one to be sub-€1000: €877. Still crazy high, but it's the lowest starting point I've managed to find. Others may get use out of it.

Advertisement