Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭celica1994

biko wrote: »
    Last year, May 2016

i might have a little luck so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭celica1994

Ok heres one for the books..

I rang bank of ireland this morning, she said she will check what the price increase would be for me going from a 2003 peugeot 607 2.0HDI(107BHP) To a 2002 VW Passat (130)BHP.
    She comes back a min later and informs me after the switch, THEY will actually owe me 65 euros!! was totally delighted with myself lol :)

So there ya go, bank of ireland seems to be the way to go for older cars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Two years ago, I paid €430 (actually slightly less IIRC) to insure my 320i 2.2L. Yesterday I got a renewal quote for €1076, a roughly 150% increase in two years. Full NCB and I'm well past any age that could be even vaguely construed as boy racer territory. The car is in great condition for its age, not a squeak or ratttle anywhere and has passed all NCTs first time. Yet because it's 16 years old, I suspect I will have very few options available to drive that renewal down into more reasonable territory.

It's nice that someone is doing their best to make me feel young, I just wish it wasn't insurance companies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I got a renewal on my car insurance from 530 to 650. Not so bad. Out of curiosity i tried other companies and they all bar one were above 1100.

The car is a 2001 gti 1.8t golf. NCT and in v good condition so its a pain in the ass getting such high quotes. Im expecting a big jump next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

alta stare wrote: »
    I got a renewal on my car insurance from 530 to 650. Not so bad. Out of curiosity i tried other companies and they all bar one were above 1100.

The car is a 2001 gti 1.8t golf. NCT and in v good condition so its a pain in the ass getting such high quotes. Im expecting a big jump next year.

It's a bad job when you give a sigh of relief from a 100 increase isn't it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

blastman wrote: »
    Two years ago, I paid €430 (actually slightly less IIRC) to insure my 320i 2.2L. Yesterday I got a renewal quote for €1076, a roughly 150% increase in two years. Full NCB and I'm well past any age that could be even vaguely construed as boy racer territory. The car is in great condition for its age, not a squeak or ratttle anywhere and has passed all NCTs first time. Yet because it's 16 years old, I suspect I will have very few options available to drive that renewal down into more reasonable territory.

It's nice that someone is doing their best to make me feel young, I just wish it wasn't insurance companies!!

If your not with Axa try an online quote and see how you get on

It's a bad job when you give a sigh of relief from a 100 increase isn't it

:D Yep it is. I suppose i must be grateful to them seen as they went to the trouble to give me a 10% discount an all. Must of put a dent in their overall budget. :D

If your not with Axa try an online quote and see how you get on

I'm not, so I'll give it a go...

** EDIT ** About €200 less than my renewal, still a jump of a couple of hundred on last year's policy but at least I have something to bargain with going back to my own lot, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Struggling in a big way to get insured this year around on an 00' Toyota Avensis - tried FBD, Bank of Ireland, 123.ie, Aviva and pretty much everywhere wouldn't even quote me, and AXA were the only ones to give me a quote of about 1400 for Third Party insurance. That's nearly three times what I paid with Bank of Ireland last year.

Any ideas on any other avenues to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I am considering a 2000 Micra. Haven't driven in couple of years, so back to 0 NCB. I tried several insurers and quotes I got are in the range of 3500-4000.

Anybody in the same situation? What are my options? I did not get quoted this much when I was learner and had no experience or NCB at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They aren't interested in 10yr old + cars. you're having a laugh with a 17yr old one. Mine is 18 yrs old but they are quoting reasonable price because I'm not a new customer.
    That said its risen 150% in the last 2yrs. Other peoples I know hasn't changed. But everyone case is going to be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Struggling in a big way to get insured this year around on an 00' Toyota Avensis - tried FBD, Bank of Ireland, 123.ie, Aviva and pretty much everywhere wouldn't even quote me, and AXA were the only ones to give me a quote of about 1400 for Third Party insurance. That's nearly three times what I paid with Bank of Ireland last year.

Any ideas on any other avenues to try?

How much is BOI this year ?
    Who is their insurance underwriter ?

You will be limited for to car age but as AXA do Concours/Vintage cover that's why age of car is not restricted

beauf wrote: »
    They aren't interested in 10yr old + cars. you're having a laugh with a 17yr old one. Mine is 18 yrs old but they are quoting reasonable price because I'm not a new customer.
    That said its risen 150% in the last 2yrs. Other peoples I know hasn't changed. But everyone case is going to be different.

I had the exact same problem. Insurance companies really are taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

I've a 17yr old MR2 and looking to get it back on the road as a weekend car.
    No one of Glennon's (current broker), First Ireland, Carole Nash, BOI online, were willing to quote; as NCB doesn't transfer, car not classic, too sporty etc..
    Think local brookers that handle garage owners can get deals done in both old/2nd vehicle . Trying Murphy Insurance in Youghal. Will check with ARB Tues.

beauf wrote: »

So what's supposed to happen to the older cars?

You'd think they would at least provide third party insurance.

Also, I'm surprised all green activists trying to better the world are not on this. The best thing for the environment is reuse. With insurances you are forced to consume new all the time. I'm sure dealers are delighted though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

CyberGhost wrote: »
    You'd think they would at least provide third party insurance.

That's where the problem lies according to insurers. They are INVOLVED is a disproportionate number of expensive 3rd party claims and has nothing to do with the NCT

That's where the problem lies according to insurers. They are INVOLVED is a disproportionate number of expensive 3rd party claims and has nothing to do with the NCT

And yet all of their profits are higher and higher.

Anyone know of those that are lenient on the classic car age?
    Autoline NI will quote if you are member of a vintage club, have no. etc.. €275 for a 95 MR2, will try them Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

CyberGhost wrote: »
    And yet all of their profits are higher and higher.

I'm not going to derail the thread. I'll leave it at this

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/motor-insurers-made-combined-273m-loss-in-ireland-last-year-1.2807401

jaytobe wrote: »
    Anyone know of those that are lenient on the classic car age?
    Autoline NI will quote if you are member of a vintage club, have no. etc.. €275 for a 95 MR2, will try them Tuesday.

Try the Irish Vintage Society, you pay €25 a year to join them as an individual member and they have a group scheme with FBD. The only stipulation to insure a car through the group scheme is that it must be 20 years old or over. You need to have another car as a daily driver, though, and it is limited to 5000 km per year. My Honda is four years older than your MR2 and it costs around €200 a year to insure like this.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Got an Autoline quote of 330 quid so made up with that. It's with Allianz classic car policy and a 2nd car so will not be of help to everyone here. No problem with the 17yrs either once part of a club (MR2 has one and will issue a no.)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

alta stare wrote: »

What company was that with?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭noel50

00' Toyota Avensis boi this year 1009.20 rang around best so far 123 €513.28 coverinaclick 485.00 hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭weekaizer

noel50 wrote: »
    00' Toyota Avensis boi this year 1009.20 rang around best so far 123 €513.28 coverinaclick 485.00 hope this helps

Just rang 123.ie they state all insurance for old cars have to be owned for 8+ years... they wouldnt quote me on my 01 Lexus

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

I just insured a 1997 Japanese import for 900 euro with Liberty. I only have 2 years NCB. I'm pretty shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Alan_007_

lol5605 wrote: »
    I just insured a 1997 Japanese import for 900 euro with Liberty. I only have 2 years NCB. I'm pretty shocked.

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

And what car is that for?

Alan_007_ wrote: »
    How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

And what car is that for?

I'm 26, it's a SiR Civic.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DrFunkatron

lol5605 wrote: »
    I'm 26, it's a SiR Civic.

Jesus you done well there so!

Jesus you done well there so!
    I sure did! I canceled my previous insurance, they wanted a extra 1500 off me to insure it. Best I had before Liberty was around 1400 witch I had no problem paying considering the car. I'm actually paying almost 200 less than my old car, that was a normal 1.4 Civic that was also 1997. The SiR has almost double the BHP. It makes no sense considering the way things are at the moment. I'm a bit bewildered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That's an unbelievable quote. Back in the 90s I sold my CRX because the renewal was 3k.

Advertisement