Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

27 in 1440p 144Hz G-sync IPS monitor - Too expensive - which spec do I drop?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    I have been researching this myself recently.

I didn't pull the trigger yet but this appears to be the best price going for a 27" 1440p 144hz IPS monitor with Freesync: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-acer-xf270hu-amd-freesync-wqhd-monitor-144hz-2560x1440-ips-4ms-speakers-adjustable-dp-hdmi-dvi-us?utm_source=pc%20part%20picker&utm_medium=referral

It's the Acer XF270HU. This is £390 on scan and £500+ on all the other UK retailers. The cheapest g-sync with equivalent spec is £564 for an AOC model.

Even though I have an Nvidia card, the "G-sync tax" is too much here and if I was to buy a new monitor with these specs, I would opt for the freesync Acer.

keep us posted on how it is please.

currently considering this vs U2715H

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I took a chance with the Acer Predator XB271HU, hopefully it won't be a dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I took a chance with the Acer Predator XB271HU, hopefully it won't be a dud.

I bought one from Amazon.de there a month ago and I got one that had the firmware bug in it (this is where when alt tabbing between a game and the desktop a slice is taken out of the middle of the screen and shifted to the far right\left of the screen), this is very easy to avoid, just apply an overclock to the screen from the on screen menu, just to 150 is enough. Otherwise my panel was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I ordered the freesync monitor but it got delayed until mid January. So, I cracked and bought an Acer XB271HU instead - bloody g-sync got to me in the end:

http://imgur.com/a/hFbuB (sorry, can't embed it without pic being massive)

It's a beautiful monitor for sure but I'm not as blown away by 144hz + g-sync as I was expecting to be honest (so far at least). The main thing rocking my world is the increased screen size and resolution.

I've really enjoyed having a blast on BF1, Titanfall 2 and Witcher 3 so far though. I also seem to have received a good panel with (touch wood) no issues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    I ordered the freesync monitor but it got delayed until mid January. So, I cracked and bought an Acer XB271HU instead - bloody g-sync got to me in the end:

http://imgur.com/a/hFbuB (sorry, can't embed it without pic being massive)

It's a beautiful monitor for sure but I'm not as blown away by 144hz + g-sync as I was expecting to be honest (so far at least). The main thing rocking my world is the increased screen size and resolution.

I've really enjoyed having a blast on BF1, Titanfall 2 and Witcher 3 so far though. I also seem to have received a good panel with (touch wood) no issues so far.

g-sync would really only stand out if you were using a previous 60hz monitor paired with a powerful video card..that way you would see the tearing on screen and know the difference it makes.
    I went from a 27" ips 60hz with a 780gtx to a 27" tn 144hz g-sync paired to the same card and it was like night and day. The picture was completely smooth with no tearing whatsoever...really is fantastic technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I did go from a 21" 1080p 60hz monitor with my GTX 1070 to this one. I must be blind so :cool:

I need to test it with gsync disabled and see if I notice the difference.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I went from 60hz 1440 to 144hz gsync 1080 and the difference was huge, never go near 60hz again, its unplayable for me now.

Refresh rate and gsync before resolution everytime for me, and that and gaming genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Are TN panels that bad though? Do they look washed out, does the viewable angle make them difficult to identify objects (****ty colour balance). Just what I've read in reviews but would like to hear from people with real experience of them.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

You don't need IPS unless you're doing photography or video editing.

Majority of existing pc monitors are TN, the average person isn't going to appreciate the difference. When was the last time you heard any normal person complain about the colour of their computer screen?

IPS is bad for games or movies with lots of dark scenes, suffer from IPS glow and sometimes backlight bleed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 banduff12

This actually the dilemma of the century for me... All I want is a freesync 1440p 144 hz TN or IPS monitor for 400. Decisions are hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duckofdeath

I decided I wanted to upgrade to an adaptive sync monitor myself earlier this year. I had a Geforce GTX 960 so a Gsync would've been the natural choice. After looking around for a long time for a good and cheap display I realised that's an oxymoron when it comes to Gsync, as Nvidia charges something like €100 just for the capability in the display. I eventually decided to switch to "the red team". Since the Radeon RX 480 is so aggressively priced it sort of worked out nice for me. The display I got is a 29" 2560x1920 ultrawide LG 29UM68. It's a 40-75Hz IPS, so, a bit limited Freesync range but, with an RX 480 I really never near the bottom of its range even on ultra settings. I got the display for around £250 on Amazon and the GPU at a few quid below £200 at scan.co.uk.
    I'm pretty pleased with switch "platform" as I got both a great looking IPS display and a pretty big GPU performance boost for less than €550. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

It's a 40-75Hz IPS, so, a bit limited Freesync range

You can use CRU to widen the range to go from 33-ish to 80-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

banduff12 wrote: »
    This actually the dilemma of the century for me... All I want is a freesync 1440p 144 hz TN or IPS monitor for 400. Decisions are hard.

I got a 120Hz VA-panel for just under 400, but I have to send it back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duckofdeath

grindle wrote: »
    You can use CRU to widen the range to go from 33-ish to 80-ish.

Yeah, I have looked into it. The day my GPU can't handle 40+FPS any more I will probably "extend" the range using that tool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 banduff12

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Have my heart set on The Predator X34A or whatever version is out when I can afford one next year.

I prefer single monitors for home.

Advertisement