Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XV

Options

Comments

I would hate to play through this under or even meeting the level requirements, over level away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

I would hate to play through this under or even meeting the level requirements, over level away.
    I finished at level forty-something but it was a struggle at times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Does it tell you what the ch recommened level is ?

Does it tell you what the ch recommened level is ?
    The quests in red in the questlog are main quests and they should have a recommended level on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

I went 4 days without resting in early Chapter 3 - I really enjoyed Noctis and Prompto being absolutely covered in dirt during serious cutscenes, though somehow Ignis and Gladiolus managed to stay pristine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

The random magictek spawn whilst you're in the middle of other battles that get you annihilated straight away and need to do an incredibly long game reload is truly a godawful game mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Cina wrote: »
    The random magictek spawn whilst you're in the middle of other battles that get you annihilated straight away and need to do an incredibly long game reload is truly a godawful game mechanic.

I don't mind it but late game got a nice surprise of the warrior chick with the face cage helm drops randomly from a ship to help you in battles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Finished this tonight. You can really see how rushed the second half of the game is compared with what came before it. Parts toward the end were downright painful to play through. For a FF game, there really isn't too much going on here story wise, although I get the sense that may have been a conscious step after the nonsense of the FF13 trilogy.

That being said, it's the first FF game I've had the patience to sit through till the end since X-2,all in all I enjoyed it, loved the Stand By Me theme running through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

The first 8 chapters are fun, bad story but great game play. The rest of the game is a rushed mess. It will take more than this to save Final Fantasy. Look at a game like The Witcher 3 and realise what's possible. I enjoyed some of this game. But it's 7 out of ten at best, and all end game content is so rushed.

Chase3 wrote: »
    The first 8 chapters are fun, bad story but great game play. The rest of the game is a rushed mess. It will take more than this to save Final Fantasy. Look at a game like The Witcher 3 and realise what's possible. I enjoyed some of this game. But it's 7 out of ten at best, and all end game content is so rushed.

Still managed to ship 5,000,000 copies release weekend. It's a success comercially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Still managed to ship 5,000,000 copies release weekend. It's a success comercially
    I believe Final Fantasy 13 was also 'commercially' successful...

Even if it sold well, (as opposed to just 'shipped well.') it doesn't change the fact that's it's not up to standard with modern AAA games. They also must have spent a fortune on the advertising and promotion. They are still living off of the glory years of FF 7 to FF X, it won't last forever. And as a fan, that's depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Wandered into a dungeon in a mine in the first area of the game and a level 52 monster one hit kills my entire party, why even let me in the dungeon at level 8?

ShaneU wrote: »
    Wandered into a dungeon in a mine in the first area of the game and a level 52 Onimusha monster one hit kills my entire party, why even let me in the dungeon at level 8?
    That's open world for you.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Wandered into a dungeon in a mine in the first area of the game and a level 52 monster one hit kills my entire party, why even let me in the dungeon at level 8?

Open world.......That's a good thing.

Chase3 wrote: »
    I believe Final Fantasy 13 was also 'commercially' successful...

Even if it sold well, (as opposed to just 'shipped well.') it doesn't change the fact that's it's not up to standard with modern AAA games. They also must have spent a fortune on the advertising and promotion. They are still living off of the glory years of FF 7 to FF X, it won't last forever. And as a fan, that's depressing.

Sold not shipped. 13-3 was actually a fantastic game but the other two **** shows before it means very few played it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Just started Chapter 4, am loving it so far. The combat is fairly easy but Im trying to perfect it so hitting A+ most of the time now.

Just on the Royal Arms, do they really have any use outside of being powerful weapons that drain HP? I read somewhere if you just keep them selected and then equip and use a normal weapon, you still gain the effects from them. Don't think thats the case though is it?

joe123 wrote: »
    Just on the Royal Arms, do they really have any use outside of being powerful weapons that drain HP?
    Some of them have stat boosts if you have them on your quick select menu.

Evade wrote: »
    Some of them have stat boosts if you have them on your quick select menu.

This I'm at the stage where I o lying have two equipped for the boosts as I use the strongest one and two handed non royal arms in game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Parts toward the end were downright painful to play through. For a FF game, there really isn't too much going on here story wise...

This. I was trying to power through
    chapter 13
    tonight, so I wouldn't have to face any more of the
    corridor sections
    . It's dragging on way too long. It's frustrating that
    some of the games best elements are missing at this point; the combat system and your companions

I'm struggling to come to terms with how poor the story is. Every so often I find myself thinking "did I skip a cut scene, why is this happening?". In spite of all of this, I'm enjoying the game. Yet I can't help but think what it could have been.

Should be finished the story soon, and I'm looking forward to getting back to the open world.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ch 4 is a point no return?

• Advertisement

Ch 4 is a point no return?
    Not really. There technically is a point of no return at chapter 9 but you can do a thing that negates it.

Evade wrote: »
    Not really. There technically is a point of no return at chapter 9 but you can do a thing that negates it.

Oh I thought I saw someone telling me too finish up quests or something before I progress.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played through a few hours of this, although temporarily putting it aside for Dishonored 2. Basically it's a ****ing mess of a game, even in its much praised open world sections. It's equal parts simplistic and overly complicated, just a mess of systems (the ability upgrade menu is a genuine abomination of interface design). Would say the same thing about the story, minus the systems bit. Combat is, well... combat is complete arse and unsatisfying. The world is populated with largely uninteresting missions and items, and the dropships are without doubt one of the single worst design decisions in any recent major release.

But there's enough to at least devote some time to. The daily photography round-up is gloriously insane, and a nice twist on the screenshot happy nature of modern players (myself included). It looks good even when the art design is a silly mess of influences, pandering (to Japanese and Western audiences alike), and general confusion. There's something appealing about the basic road trip premise, even if it doesn't fully realise it. It's better than Final Fantasy XIII but of course it is.

'A Final Fantasy for fans and newcomers' is an unfortunate reminder every boot: this is a game that desperately wants to be for everyone, but the result is like playing through an expensive, interactive identity crisis. It's mad enough with just enough amusing and slick details to distract for a while, but it's just not a very good game based on the evidence so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

How in the name of God are you supposed to catch the Vesper Gar? I'm at level 5 in fishing and I have the best rod, reel and line from the shop at the Vesperpool but the cnut always snaps my line no matter what. Am I better off leveling to level ten and getting the better fishing equipment in Altissia?
    Also - should I leave Costlemark Tower and the forts in Leide until the post game? I'm level 52 but I sincerely doubt I could handle it. That level 38 wasp hunt in Ravatogh wrecked me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Got it for Xmas and only started playing it the other night , Was never a FF fan so to speak but always been curious , So 6 hours in still on chapter one and I'm on Level 8 and so far I'm enjoying the hell out of it still doesn't feel like I've even done anything which I think is a plus point as lot of games (nowadays anyway) 6 hours in and you're nearly done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

..but it's just not a very good game based on the evidence so far.

I going to have to disagree with you johnny, respectfully, of course. I just finished the main story and I'll be going back for some of the post-story stuff. While I'd agree that, story-wise, the game is a total mess; overall I really enjoyed it. The story does come together in the end (although there are a lot of loop holes left untied), and after watching the ending a second time I've gotten a grip on the story the team were trying to tell. The "stand by me" theme gives the story feeling and is this is amplified by the awesome car journeys and all the bro-ness. The numerous tributes to other games in the series were welcome (Prompto whistling FFVIIs classic battle winning jingle); it gave me the feeling that it was a game for fans and yet first-timers wouldn't be missing anything.

I wouldn't claim to have played an extensive list of JRPGs, but FFXV is the best I've played. The dungeons are some of the best designed and are a joy to play through. I wouldn't have any complaints about the menu system, through the main interface was a bit annoying at times (pop-up information boxes, I'm looking at you). The combat system is fun, but can be let down by awkward camera angles.

Considering the game was ten years in development, and if all accounts of the development hell are true, I think the new Tabatha-led team did a super job in turning the mess into something playable. The story is very messy at the best of times, many of the side-quests feel pointless, but overall FFXV was an excellent adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Played through a few hours of this, although temporarily putting it aside for Dishonored 2. Basically it's a ****ing mess of a game, even in its much praised open world sections. It's equal parts simplistic and overly complicated, just a mess of systems (the ability upgrade menu is a genuine abomination of interface design). Would say the same thing about the story, minus the systems bit. Combat is, well... combat is complete arse and unsatisfying. The world is populated with largely uninteresting missions and items, and the dropships are without doubt one of the single worst design decisions in any recent major release.

But there's enough to at least devote some time to. The daily photography round-up is gloriously insane, and a nice twist on the screenshot happy nature of modern players (myself included). It looks good even when the art design is a silly mess of influences, pandering (to Japanese and Western audiences alike), and general confusion. There's something appealing about the basic road trip premise, even if it doesn't fully realise it. It's better than Final Fantasy XIII but of course it is.

'A Final Fantasy for fans and newcomers' is an unfortunate reminder every boot: this is a game that desperately wants to be for everyone, but the result is like playing through an expensive, interactive identity crisis. It's mad enough with just enough amusing and slick details to distract for a while, but it's just not a very good game based on the evidence so far.

Have to disagree also. Plus it took me a good 10+ hours of messing around to really appreciate the combat system. I went from thinking that its a pure mess to realising there is actually quite alot of depth to it.

Of course some wont bother but if you invest the time into learning the mechanics, you can look like one stylish mofo taking down enemies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's equal parts simplistic and overly complicated, just a mess of systems (the ability upgrade menu is a genuine abomination of interface design).

I think that's a problem with these pseudo MMO games. The two Xenoblade games had systems within systems that didn't make sense and you'd forget about them until you actually need them (85 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles last night and I remember there's a button combination that points you towards the objective....). A lot of these systems just seem to be there to add complexity rather than actually benefitting the game. Still sometimes these messy systems can provide benefits, like FF8 even if I didn't understand how to play it until the second playthrough... not exactly great game design.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

just finished the story at level 53 , honestly the 1st final fantasy game i ever completed..enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I got to chapter 9 a while ago, and while i was enjoying it, i've not been back in a few weeks. Might see if i can get through it this week.

Advertisement