Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I'm on Chapter 8 and still enjoying it. It's far from the best FF I've played, certainly not a classic, but it's a good open world game.

Combat is ok, but could be better. I thought FF XII absolutely nailed the open world/JPRG mix of combat (and is a great game, a true classic, though I know most won't agree) and this is a step backwards really.

There is an awful lot of crappy filler that has you going all over the map to pick things up and check something and take out one monster and bla bla. I think this is my biggest issue with open-world games these days, developers can make this huge map and then exploit it with all these yawn-inducing quests and travelling that is simply there so they can go "hey, the game's 80 hours long!". I think I'm on 28 hours so far and I reckon without all the travelling around and chocobo riding I'd probably be on around 16 bloody hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm 28 hours in and only on Chapter 4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Some gamer found an exploit that allowed him to explore Niflheim on foot. Perhaps we were going to have a whole continent to explore until the production changed direction? It did seem pointless that
    the group brought the Regalia to the second continent with it being rarely used

TIMESTAMPS:

0:00 : Cartanica
    12:33 : 3 kilometers before Cartanica station
    16:34 : 5 kilometers before Cartanica station (African Savannah looking area.)
    24:32 : Eusciello (snowy area.)
    39:30 : Area where Prompto falls from the train.
    50:56 : Pagla, area where Noct is having a conversation with Ignis on the phone while being on top of the train.
    56:05 : Tenebrae.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Finding it hard to go back and finish. Chapter 11 now or something. Last few chapters have been terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Finding it hard to go back and finish. Chapter 11 now or something. Last few chapters have been terrible.

I would say push through just for end. You could do it in a matter of hours from here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

11 hours in and im finding it very hard to hold my attention. I am doing a lot of side quest but to be honest (apart from the Deadeye/Behemoth fight) they are pure muck and amount to too many fetch quests.

Am I better off just going through the story and main questline? I am trying to like it but its an up hill battle at the mo!

11 hours in and im finding it very hard to hold my attention. I am doing a lot of side quest but to be honest (apart from the Deadeye/Behemoth fight) they are pure muck and amount to too many fetch quests.

Am I better off just going through the story and main questline? I am trying to like it but its an up hill battle at the mo!

I'd say, like most RPGss only do quests that sound interesting that are higher level than you, do 2 or 3 max then progress with main story. When you go by a shop go in, have a look at hunts, if they look interesting to do then why not? If not...why would you do them? Likewise with the side quest, if it sounds boring don't do it.

If you see any dungeons or one of the characters suggests to get out of car and go to something near by then do that because normally that'll be interesting. Like wise...if you stop to fish, only try to catch the glowing one...no point getting the others.

Similar to Mass effect 1 or 2, if you were to do everything in those game...they're the worst game ever.(Ie@: In ME2...go to every planet and collect all the resources on it).

I guess it's not a game for everyone. I didn't bother with a lot of the side quests and pretty much stuck to the main story. You won't be at a disadvantage if you leave them until after the main story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A little further in (still finding myself more drawn to Dishonored 2) but my impressions have become slightly more positive. It hits a stride of sort in late chapter 2 / early chapter 3, with some imaginative missions and well designed dungeons. Quirks like the insanely detailed food rendering help add life to the experience.

A lot of the subquests are still dull collect or beat-em-ups, and the whole thing is a mess. But I seem to be going back and forth on whether I like it or not everytime I boot up the disc :pac: Still think the combat is arse though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It has charm in how confidently stupid the whole thing is. Makes it hard to hate it for some of its transgressions.

I think the combat is rubbish compared to the likes of the Xenoblade games... but the dumb road trip is just so much fun.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It has charm in how confidently stupid the whole thing is. Makes it hard to hate it for some of its transgressions.

I think the combat is rubbish compared to the likes of the Xenoblade games... but the dumb road trip is just so much fun.

Nail on the head there. I'm the last person usually to go back once the credits have rolled and achievements have dried up but I did do all the the post stuff in this and had a good time inspite of all the flaws.

So far at least 3 DLCs have been announced, the 3 bros side stories/playable. Iris and Cor as playable chars. Multiplayer. And only the other day an expansion pack.

They're basically gonna finish the game.

I'd have been happier playing as say Nix and Luna and having the game take it's queues from the Kingsglave prologue and forming a party in the traditional FF way and trying to get to Noc instead of the other way around and then the DLC to focus on Noc and his lads side of things.

I'm sure I'm not the 1st to think of this :o

Yeah probably, but the games been set in stone(mostly) for around 10 years as to who adn what it would focus on. Nyx and co and
    basically everyone else ...story wise, is too weak to fight the main villain...and summons and all that.

I would like to have played as Noc and co, AND all of the above mentioned. To get different perspectives on the story. Like...the '10 year gap'. Would been cool to play during maybe everyone losing hope in the world etc

I've mostly enjoyed my 26 hours thus far, despite it at times being incredibly dull going from A to B back to A now to C ok back to A now let's go D ok quest done here's another one go A now C ok A etc etc. - but I guess that's to be expected with open-world games that are not called The Witcher 3.

I did however finally embark into Chapter 9 and am prepared for what is apparently a thorough lack of enjoyment for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Does chapter 13 ever ****ing end, this is unbearable and ten times longer than it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

So I just finished this, it's truly a flawed masterpiece.
    Altissia looks incredible, maybe my second favourite city design in Final Fantasy behind Esthar in FF8. But once you leave Altissia everything turns linear. They used the train as a means to get you through the continent they obviously didn't get around to finishing. It's sad that so much of the game is missing because what they did make is brilliant (chapter 13 aside). A huge improvement on XIII in every aspect. The last chapter in Insomnia is epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I have it at home waiting for me to start, but having read so much about the dreaded chapter 13 and Square's promise to improve things in a patch, I'm going to hold off for that patch to drop.

I have it at home waiting for me to start, but having read so much about the dreaded chapter 13 and Square's promise to improve things in a patch, I'm going to hold off for that patch to drop.

I don't think that patch does much to address Chapter 13. I could be wrong, but I think the patch will add more cut-scenes to further explain some aspects of the story. The chapter in question is just one part of a large game; don't let the negativity surrounding it stop you from playing a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Notorious wrote: »
    I don't think that patch does much to address Chapter 13. I could be wrong, but I think the patch will add more cut-scenes to further explain some aspects of the story.

Looks like it will do both.
    “We want you to enjoy Final Fantasy XV for a long time to come,” writes director Hajime Tabata on the Square Enix blog today. “We have been listening to your ideas on how to make the game experience even better, and so in addition to the previously announced content, we’ll be providing free updates to the game throughout the coming year.”

Tabata continues:

Our early plans are to enrich certain aspects of the game, adding gameplay enhancements for Chapter 13, buffing ring magic, etc. We’ll have the specifics of what and when for you at a later date.

After that, we’re hoping to delve deeper into the story, adding scenes that will give you new insight into character motivations, such as why Ravus walked the path he did. We will need a little time with these, as they’ll need to be localized and voiced in other languages, but we’ll let you know the details once everything is set.

For the long term, we are looking at making certain key characters playable, and even considering the possibility of customizable avatars, in addition to other features over time.

Other features we have in mind include letting you carry over stats from a previous playthrough, and adding items that introduce new playstyles, such as low-level runs and god mode. We’re also examining readability tweaks - increasing font size - for certain languages. On top of that, we’re looking at content you can enjoy in real-time, including new bosses with exclusive rewards and achievements, and limited-time hunts.

• Advertisement

Chapter 13 is truly awful. I was skeptical of those dissing it before I played it because I'd enjoyed the game a lot until then, but my god is it bad. I think I'm still only half way through it, too. It's a struggle to turn the ps4 on to finish it now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I got to chapter 9 a week or two after launch, and haven't gone back yet. Not sure why, as i was mostly enjoying it, but i think i'll hold off and see if they improve chapter 13. Sounds like everyone agrees that it's terrible.

Not the kind of game I expect to see timed events in , thats more an mmo thing but this looks ehhhhh :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Finished it over the weekend. Really enjoyed it and definitely up there with some of the best FF games. A big improvement over FF13.

I actually really enjoyed the story and
    Ardyn
    was a great villain. Don't know why people hated Chapter 13 so much, I didnt bother hiding from anyone, just used the dodge/holy dodge and killed every enemy.

A gripe I had with the game is that its far too easy. Too easy to level up and far too easy to die. I didn't die once in the entire game and I took on level 70 enemies when Im level 40.

A great looking game, especially when you're flying the car.

Quick question for anyone in the carnival DLC, do you need to have reached a certain point in the game or completed it before you get access?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I haven't read this thread, but could someone be a dear and tell me;

I always wanted to play the FF games (especially 7) but i just cannot stand the fighting system it has. Turn based or whatever it is, i hate sitting and waiting for a bar to fill before i can attack. People have told me this is more hack 'n' slash, is that the case? Or is there still some waiting. A few videos i've seen make me think it's hack 'n' slash, which i much prefer. Is this the case? Is there anything else i need to know before plunging and buying this? Thanks!

I haven't read this thread, but could someone be a dear and tell me;

I always wanted to play the FF games (especially 7) but i just cannot stand the fighting system it has. Turn based or whatever it is, i hate sitting and waiting for a bar to fill before i can attack. People have told me this is more hack 'n' slash, is that the case? Or is there still some waiting. A few videos i've seen make me think it's hack 'n' slash, which i much prefer. Is this the case? Is there anything else i need to know before plunging and buying this? Thanks!

Much more action oriented. There is a system in place for those who prefer the idea of slow paced battles but its really built for quick battles. In saying that, once you unlock a certain number of abilities etc, there is a bit more to it than mashing attack but it's probably the most fun system I've used in years

• Anyone have any idea what the 2.5gb patch is? Update popped up yesterday.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what the 2.5gb patch is? Update popped up yesterday.

Carnival event stuff I post a video for a few posts up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

DLC release dates.
    Booster Pack – February 21, 2017

Episode: Gladiolus – March 28, 2017

Episode: Prompto – June 2017

Advertisement