Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

so first minute of gamespots review has pretty much turned me off, lackluster characters and story that is a setup for the open world gameplay, so that removes any of the main reasons i play final fantasy god damn it.

• so first minute of gamespots review has pretty much turned me off, lackluster characters and story that is a setup for the open world gameplay, so that removes any of the main reasons i play final fantasy god damn it.
    This seams to be devisive. Other sources claiming the story and characters are great and share a great journey together. As for the ending its supposed to be very satisfying. Reviews mentioning this point without spoiling obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I sometimes wonder do Gamespot only have an 8 button? every game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I would say 5, but feck, the game's a solid challenge and the job system was great. That would be my choice for the really underrated FF, with 10 being the overrated one. Most people love 10 though. 4 is like the band with the promising debut with the hit song but still have a lot of work to do. It's dated enough, and a lot of what you see in 4 is pulled off better later on.

6 is great but it feels a bit too much like a dress rehearsal for 7. Both games have a very similar structure and set up, with 7 executing it a bit better imo.

Oh ff5 is a great shout for best ff game. Broken job system is incredible... even if it was improved on in ff tactics (secret best ff game)

What I like about 4 is its just a lot of fun. There's never a dull moment and it's just really well paced. The boss battles are excellent as well.

I actually feel ff7 wad just ff6 but not as good. Midgar was incredible but after that it becomes a standard jrpg. Ff6 has the world of ruin with the nonlinear game play which I feel was one of the vet moments in the series. Also the story and kefka take a solid dump on the ff7 story and sephiroth ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Isolated Warrior

Bought mine off the USA psn along with the season pass. Some reviews are in and are positive in most part. I'll be happy plugging away at this until Xmas. It'll get me off my destiny habit hopefully

• Advertisement

No love for FF9??? That was my favourite of the ones I've played, probably down to it's characters and the setting and art style they went with. Found it much easier to get into than say 8 which I didn't like at all, though I was pretty new to the genre at the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

so first minute of gamespots review has pretty much turned me off, lackluster characters and story that is a setup for the open world gameplay, so that removes any of the main reasons i play final fantasy god damn it.

Don't base a decision on one review, take a chance and play it yourself judge it for yourself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No love for FF9??? That was my favourite of the ones I've played, probably down to it's characters and the setting and art style they went with. Found it much easier to get into than say 8 which I didn't like at all, though I was pretty new to the genre at the time.

I loved ff9!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone that doesn't love FF9 is lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I love ff9 but never beat it. The loading times are just too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I loved 9 and found it great to get to grips with after completely missing the concept of the ff8 battle system. 10 has its strengths but just doesn't seem fun to play any more. Tactics is fantastic, herself got me that with a gameboy a year ago, fantastic present!

megaten wrote: »
    I love ff9 but never beat it. The loading times are just too much.

Admittedly, they are borderline criminal on PS1 :)

RedXIV wrote: »
    I loved 9 and found it great to get to grips with after completely missing the concept of the ff8 battle system. 10 has its strengths but just doesn't seem fun to play any more. Tactics is fantastic, herself got me that with a gameboy a year ago, fantastic present!

Ugh FF Tactics Advance? I hate that game. Go play the proper Matsuno masterpiece on PSP pronto!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ugh FF Tactics Advance? I hate that game. Go play the proper Matsuno masterpiece on PSP pronto!

Ah it's not that bad! it scratches the itch from the original which was amazing but I was fortunate enough to play it years ago :D

@speedboatchase, Without going into too much detail, is there much lead in to the game? Am I going to be watching 20 mins of cinematics before I start to control my character? Just wondering if i should have a cuppa ready :D

So who's yer favourite villian from the FF Series :pac:?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

@RedXIV
    You'll be controlling your character within about 5 mins. If you've played the Duscae demo, the setup is similar - there's a story-driven reason to keep you grounded temporarily, so run out in the open fields and do some side quests etc for a bit. It's the opposite of what you'd expect from CGI heavy, story-based, linear openings in previous FF games.

@RedXIV
    You'll be controlling your character within about 5 mins. If you've played the Duscae demo, the setup is similar - there's a story-driven reason to keep you grounded temporarily, so run out in the open fields and do some side quests etc for a bit. It's the opposite of what you'd expect from CGI heavy, story-based, linear openings in previous FF games.

Awesome! is the Crown patch live yet?

(sorry for all the questions :o)

The Hipster choice: Delita from FF Tactics. Because he's human and not some crazied coked up magic demi god.

@RedXIV

Oh, colour me very interested! It's rare these days for games to let the player go off and have fun in the opening minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I still have to play 6 at some point, I hear people raving about it. I've finished 7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, 12 and Tactics. I think 9 and Tactics are my favourites, probably 9, there's just an amazing feel to the game that I'm not sure I've seen recreated since. The setting is just outstanding.

I tried to like 13, I even pretended to myself that I did, but it really is just hot garbage. I know people like the battle system but the awful characters, story and corridor that the game is set in just ruin it. I really really really want XV to be a return to form. The reviews are promising enough so far at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't think they ever topped 9 in terms of characters and gameplay, although I still have a soft spot for 12. I've started 6 more times than I could count but always get sidetracked.

Hadn't really intended to pick up XV with everything else that's out there but I'm getting more and more tempted. Might just pick it up if Gamestop have their two-game trade in deal.

13's battle system is incredible, the problem is you end up fighting the same group of enemies over and over due to how long and boring the corridors are. Thankfully they changed things up in 13-2 which is way more interesting and fun despite being pants on head stupid.

People shouldn't be put off the FF13 sequels because of FF13, they are excellent with FF13-3 being one of the best an most underappreciated games of last gen. It's pretty much the Valkyrie Profile sequel we never got.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy Final Fantasy 15 today? So far I've seen that it's 70 in Gamestop and 65 in Smiths toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Just played about two hours worth

Having never played a FF game before
    I'm enjoying it so far story seems interesting hope that it manages to keep me pulled in.

I'd like to play more but work in the morning and I want to be able to session it tomorrow evening.

Is the lore interesting? Might look some up tomorrow in work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

It's 53.99 in Argos for the steelbook special edition of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

V9 wrote: »

Blargh, reserved.

• V9 wrote: »

Great price.
    Argos have been consistently excellent at release with the prices.
    Reserved :)

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Just played about two hours worth

Having never played a FF game before
    I'm enjoying it so far story seems interesting hope that it manages to keep me pulled in.

I'd like to play more but work in the morning and I want to be able to session it tomorrow evening.

Is the lore interesting? Might look some up tomorrow in work

Each FF is a standalone universe and story. (Excluding sequels and spin offs such as ff13-2 and ff7crisis core)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

You and it's not even close. What you did to Aeris.
    You monster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

9 is my favorite as well, which is surprising cause usually I have feck all tolerance for cutesy JRPG crap.

It has the best characters of the series. Vivi, what a ****ing champ of a lad! :pac:

Advertisement