Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XV

Options

Comments

• Be warned: 10gb patch on X1

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Isolated Warrior

Played about three hours today. Having a nice wander around and I'm finding myself laughing at some of their banter. One example is after killing a few enemies prompto starts humming the victory tune from ff7. It's a beautiful looking game too. Will see how good the story is as I progress. First impressions are good though and am wanting to play more which is a good sign 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭mac1961

€54 in Argos. Be rude not to really.
    I reserved my copy this morning and went in this afternoon to be told it's not in stock until tomorrow or Friday. Girl just said not in stock. How can this happen???😞😞

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Isolated Warrior

mac1961 wrote: »
    €54 in Argos. Be rude not to really.
    I reserved my copy this morning and went in this afternoon to be told it's not in stock until tomorrow or Friday. Girl just said not in stock. How can this happen???😞😞
    Argos are notorious for this, I've had a few friends have this happen. Those of us who have had enough of GameStop are switching to Argos or Smyths. The online stock checker thingy is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

mac1961 wrote: »

That's annoying. I have an Argos reservation to pick up after work, hope the same doesn't happen. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

joe123 wrote: »
    Matter of oppinion that. FF13's battle system was one of the worst.

I stand by that it was one of the best as long as you are going for good ratings and not playing safe by tanking up with sentinels. The boss battles and FF13-2 are proof of that. Fighting the same groups of enemies ad nauseum though was what ruined FF13. Once you figured out a group of enemies all you ended up doing was repeating the same tactics which was no fun at all and that was pretty much the entire game. FF13-2 built a much better game around that battle system to allow it to shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowseye

Just got it there, haven't been really keen on any of the Final Fantasy games since 10 so hopefully this can recapture some of the magic for me! Can't wait to dig into it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on the battle system if they have had a decent bit of time to test it out.

Im really hoping its not as poor as *some* reviews made out. Magic not much use and basic enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Why are some people saying "I've waited ten years for this"?

What was ten years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Why are some people saying "I've waited ten years for this"?

What was ten years ago?
    The game was originally in development 10 years ago as FF XIII Versus, so despite being radically overhauled the game has been 10 years in the making. I have to agree with the sentiments shared, feels very surreal to actually be playing it at long last, many doubted whether it would ever see the light of day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

joe123 wrote: »
    Would love to hear peoples thoughts on the battle system if they have had a decent bit of time to test it out.

Im really hoping its not as poor as *some* reviews made out. Magic not much use and basic enough?

It couldn't be any more basic so far. Hold down button to attack hold down other button to block.

Having a spot of bother with PS4 version where the text is off screen. Can't find an option to resize the HUD anywhere.

One of my characters has a little green icon beside his name, any ideas what that is :confused:

EDIT: Nevermind I found the list explaining them in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

So in my eagerness to try it out I look to swap the ps4 over to the computer monitor and looks like i've damaged the hdmi port. Can't get it to register on the computer or tv and can't get it into safe mode. This is turning into an expensive game! D'oh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just noticed Amazon shipped my copy using asendia.........I won't expect it anytime soon then.

They went with Royal Mail with mine, dispatched early Saturday morning, still has not got to the PM yet, looks like it will be Thursday now before I have it, first time having Prime has let me down.

Last Asendia order did not even turn up, took nearly a month in the end to get Atelier Sophie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yikes, is it just a bad thing to order from amazon for release dates? or are they always bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

nix wrote: »
    Yikes, is it just a bad thing to order from amazon for release dates? or are they always bad?

You are taking a big gamble if you are using the free Super Saver delivery, Asendia are notoriously bad and have been for over two years now, even the customers reps admit they know they are terrible, actually they were the reason I moved to the Prime and Parcel Motel route.

I had about 4 orders never arrive and another 5/6 take over 3 weeks to arrive, the problem is that you do not know who the carrier is before you place the order and only find out when it has been shipped.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    You are taking a big gamble if you are using the free Super Saver delivery, Asendia are notoriously bad and have been for over two years now, even the customers reps admit they know they are terrible, actually they were the reason I moved to the Prime and Parcel Motel route.

I had about 4 orders never arrive and another 5/6 take over 3 weeks to arrive, the problem is that you do not know who the carrier is before you place the order and only find out when it has been shipped.

I'll never get it so if that's the case sleep.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

What's the point in the car? You are barely driving it at all.

What's the point in the car? You are barely driving it at all.

Best to use it as little as possible as travelling on foor increases survivalist skill rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So what way does this play , Is it turn based like the old ones or is it more like the Witcher or Skyrim those kind of games ?

• Advertisement

So what way does this play , Is it turn based like the old ones or is it more like the Witcher or Skyrim those kind of games ?

No it's more dragon age without the same depth and control over the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Kinda like The Witcher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How does it compare to the Xenoblade games combat which is the high bar for me for this type of combat system?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowseye

Just finished the first chapter, liking the characters and the combat is pretty fun although I'm still struggling with it a bit, wasn't sure on it at first but it's definitely growing on me. My main issues so far are the side characters one or two in particular have been pretty awful so far. Also some of the decisions made telling the story are downright bizzare, for anyone who hasn't watched kingsglaive I'd advise watching it at a certain obvious point at the end of chapter one, it's not really a spoiler at all but just in case
    just before getting on the boat
    . Overall enjoying it so far but the decisions they've made with the story are already a bit disappointing

• No it's more dragon age without the same depth and control over the party.

Didn't play dragon age but they way you say it sounds bad?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Didn't play dragon age but they way you say it sounds bad?!?

Dragon Age lets you set customisable tactics for your AI party members (I didn't realise this until I was about two-thirds of the way through Origins and, honestly, it made the game ten times easier) and lets you give them direct orders (e.g. go here, cast this, attack this enemy). The game would be very difficult without it - I can't imagine what trying to kill dragons would be like without being able to position your party members. Their AI just isn't great.

Though Final Fantasy XV's combat is superficially similar to that of Dragon Age, it doesn't do any of this. There are no customisable tactics and though you can order your party members to do certain things, it's limited compared to DA. To make up for this they are, apparently, very well programmed, and I've heard little to no complaining about how they perform in combat compared to the moaning that goes on when you bring up Inquisition (which, I will admit, was warranted, Cassandra needed to stop attacking bears and getting my mage Inquisitor killed.)

XV's combat is much more about knowing what weapon to use when (e.g. start off with a light sword to get the enemy cornered and switch to a broad sword to finish them off), dodging, and parrying, things which I never did once in any of the DA games.

Edit: If you haven't played Dragon Age it's worth a shout. Origins is dirt cheap and tons of fun; 2 and Inquisition less so, but if you like Origins enough you'll probably buy them anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Think I'll wait for this to come to PC, and this is coming from a massive FF fan (before XIII ruined everything)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Played about 4 hours there. It's definitely tightened up in a number of ways from the first demo. The combat is not overly complex at this stage but I imagine that is to ensure it doesn't lose people at the very start. You can get by with minimum effort if you grind early on, but it's much more fun to try some strategy. The comrade AI is pretty solid.

There's quite a lot to do in it, I haven't done much yet but it does feel very fleshed out as a world. The first to feel so since ff9 for me. I can see where people are drawing parallels between it and the witcher or dragon age, but it's not exactly the same.

Is great fun though! I feel like I'm still getting to grips with it but I'm enjoying it so far! I just finished up with justice monster 5 (the pinball game) which is not bad. Didn't know when to stop playing though, I had all the enemies at level 99 and over 2 million points even u just gave up. Got some accessory for it anyway.

The ultimate collectors edition is nicely packaged too btw. The art book is very nice and I like the steel case covers for all the disks. Had a quick look at the Noctis figure but I'm not mad on those anyway. It seems very well crafted though.

All in all, I'm happy so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Review up from Easy Allie's Ben Moore.
    He's a HUGE Final Fantasy fan and probably the biggest JRPG buff I've seen amongst reviewers/game sites.
    So you can trust his knowledge of the genre compared to someone who is gonna review it as their first Final Fantasy game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I preordered from Zavvi during the summer for €41, it shipped yesterday with expected delivery today or tomorrow.

Pretty impressed with their service.

I've often heard people complain about how slow they are but I have to say, I've ordered a lot of stuff from them with zero issues.

Advertisement