Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Expecting Witcher 3 story from anything, especially a Square enix game, is wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shooby

I'm a big fan of earlier games in the series and am loving it so far! I was dubious about the real-time combat going in but it is really growing on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Expecting Witcher 3 story from anything, especially a Square enix game, is wishful thinking.

Fair point man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The magic is so awkward to set up and assign, bad design in the menus on that one. Having a mare on Chapter 2
    Trying to pick up mineral deposit after beating an annoying boss, but just then dropships keep dropping soldiers all over me and each wave I beat, another batch arrives. It doesn't seem to end. Had to run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Game is fantastic so far, though I do have a few major gripes like the camera being absolutely diabolical and the frame pacing issue on PS4 is mighty distracting. I'm not usually sensitive to things like frame pacing, I played Bloodborne to completion numerous times with the frame pacing issues present and barely noticed them, but here I'm finding them so intrusive that I think I'll wait for the issue to be patched as it's distracting me from what is otherwise a brilliant game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've asked already but how does the combat compare to Xenoblade?

I figured out my problem with magic from earlier, you have to hold B or O to aim it ffs , nowhere did that get mention on a tool tip or even in the tutorial that I saw. Oh well I know now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I figured out my problem with magic from earlier, you have to hold B or O to aim it ffs , nowhere did that get mention on a tool tip or even in the tutorial that I saw. Oh well I know now.

It is briefly (very briefly) mentioned in the tutorial but you don't really get the full concept of it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Is there a way of changing the objective distance marker to metric?

Evade wrote: »
    Is there a way of changing the objective distance marker to metric?

It's driving me nuts too !!!!

Didn't see anything in the menus.

• Advertisement

It's driving me nuts too !!!!

Didn't see anything in the menus.
    I did a quick google, apparently it's in metric in every other language but imperial in English because of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Driving me mad too. First thing I did was look through the menus for an option. :(

Driving me mad too. First thing I did was look through the menus for an option. :(

The gas thing is if I look in my xbox stats it has one for distance walked and that is in meters :D

Can you unlock more car stereo tracks? I want some VIII and X/X-2.

Evade wrote: »
    Can you unlock more car stereo tracks? I want some VIII and X/X-2.

Yep you can buy them. VIII was at the shop at Longwythe if I remember right.

I has pretty much all of them see here for locations

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/final-fantasy-15/Final_Fantasy_Original_Soundtracks

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've asked already but how does the combat compare to Xenoblade?

I think you need to accept the game for what it is. Comparing the combat mechanics with another rpg is pointless.
    Let it be it's own game

Game is becoming unmanagable now, can't go anywhere at all without
    Dropships pouring soldiers to fight you, you literally cannot go anywhere or complete any hunt quests. Is there a way to stop this, or is that the way it is from here on. If it is I'm so done with it.

EDIT: If you find yourself in that situation, just do the next main story mission and you'll be grand.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I think you need to accept the game for what it is. Comparing the combat mechanics with another rpg is pointless.
    Let it be it's own game

It's a fair comparison considering from the demo its closest comparison would be The xenoblade games. The demo for me was good but needed a bit of work since it didn't have the nuance and depth that xenoblade had but I've heard there's been massive improvements in the combat since. Xenoblade is the high bar I'd hold these pseudo MMO style combat systems up to so just wondering if it comes close or exceeds it and if that depth is there? And the fact I loved xenoblade means I know if it comes close to it or better I'd love it.

Any review I've read has been god awful and it's impossible to tell what the battle system is like which is the most important thing not the story. Xenoblade had an awful story as well but it was just so much fun exploring and getting into fights and I'm hoping this is the same.

Game is becoming unmanagable now, can't go anywhere at all without
    Dropships pouring soldiers to fight you, you literally cannot go anywhere or complete any hunt quests. Is there a way to stop this, or is that the way it is from here on. If it is I'm so done with it.

EDIT: If you find yourself in that situation, just do the next main story mission and you'll be grand.

I remember this being an issue in the demo with the solution being don't go out at night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Retro, never played Xenoblade but if it's any help, the closest I can put the combat is to Dragon Age Inquisition (which I hated).
    Not a huge fan of the combat in XV but I'm slowly getting the hang of it after 6 hours of play.
    The game is addictive though. I found it hard to stop last night and it's the world and characters that is making this so enjoyable for me.

Got a nice pic from Prompto last night:

http://i.imgur.com/mZvjhkq.jpg

(How the hell do i re-size from imgur?)

I've played Xenoblade a little. Xen's combat is not as free as FFXV if you get me, there's a little bit of turn waiting going on in Xenoblade whereas this is more Monster Hunter.

Possibly

I haven't played Xenoblade so I can't really tell you, but from watching a YouTube video it looks quite different from what you get in XV. Xenoblade looks, from the videos at least, a bit more organised? It looks like the combat is a little more static and there is a rythm to the opponents' behaviour, whereas XV is quite frenetic, even chaotic at times to the point that it can be hard to keep track of what's going on. It's fun, but it doesn't feel elegant, if that makes sense.

I suppose it feels more active with groups of enemies (you'd usually try to avoid groups in the Xeno games).

I'm guessing stamina bar balancing is a big mechanic.

I really want to get this but I'm not even scratching the surface of Xenoblade so by the time I'm finished that it will probably be on PC :)

I wonder what the sales figures are for this. I hear Square really needs this to sell extremely well considering how much it's cost to develop. Famitsu released a statement saying it was the fastest ever selling FF in Asian regions but turned out it was the usual Famitsu bull**** with 5 million copies shipped not sold to Asian regions. It would be nice to see FF back in a premium position. It's a rare example of a series that completely changes its gameplay with each iteration rather than becoming stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Customisable chocobos, 'nuff said, happy now.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

About to start.

Watched Kingsglaive earlier. Thought it was decent even if the main character looked like Jordan fecking Henderson voiced by Jessie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Only played it for an hour yesterday, won't have time till Christmas.

No pervy 14 year old Rikkus for hairy Japanese bastards.

No cheesy anime crap.

No moody emo my daddy didn't hug me protagonists.

This is fùcking great lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Unearthly wrote: »
    About to start.

Watched Kingsglaive earlier. Thought it was decent even if the main character looked like Jordan fecking Henderson voiced by Jessie

Watch Brotherhood too. Can't recommend it enough.
    Kingsglaive gives you info on the world but Brotherhood really helps understand the characters you'll be rocking about with.

Only played it for an hour yesterday, won't have time till Christmas.

No pervy 14 year old Rikkus for hairy Japanese bastards.

No cheesy anime crap.

No moody emo my daddy didn't hug me protagonists.

This is fùcking great lol.

Eh what about the j-pop band protagonists? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

I've never played Xenoblade Chronicles (I did watch Chuggaaconroy's LP of it) and I think the only real similarities between the two are that you have an auto attack and a skill tree you spend points to expand. There's no waiting for skills to recharge and there's no chaining skills of the same colour. It's much more like a hybrid of Dragon Age (auto attack and combo, spells like bombs, friendly fire), The Witcher 3 (blocking and dodging) and Arkham Asylum (parrying) with a little Tales (direction of analogue stick changing attack, link skills with party members, advantage depending on whether you attack from the front or behind) in there for good measure. I really like combat in all of those games so this is a good thing! The weapon switching and mana draining when you defend and regaining it when you take cover... I can't find any parallels to that.
    Another thing is that it doesn't really have a healer class, which is something I'm glad games are dropping. It's awful having to keep the healer character in your party at all times. They begin to feel like dead weight after a while. Sharla was so useless in Xenoblade!

Advertisement